Don't think you can blame the board this time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Don't think you can blame the board this time

Starting from the position that the board have been truthful - let's face it they don't seem smart enough to lie to us. Then in good faith between the club and RL any conversation on a new contract was going to happen at the end of the season.

All we've heard is words like integrity and honesty. We've even heard from posters that RL has spoken about building a powerhouse club at the Saints.

If we take everyone at their word then the board has done what has been agreed. (I'm still ok with securing business agreements with a handshake).

They have been completely blindsided by RL. I'm not sure what else they could have done if they had an agreement to deal with this - in good faith - at the end of the season.

noreason41
Club Player

Re: Don't think you can blame the board this time

fingers wrote:Starting from the position that the board have been truthful - let's face it they don't seem smart enough to lie to us. Then in good faith between the club and RL any conversation on a new contract was going to happen at the end of the season.

All we've heard is words like integrity and honesty. We've even heard from posters that RL has spoken about building a powerhouse club at the Saints.

If we take everyone at their word then the board has done what has been agreed. (I'm still ok with securing business agreements with a handshake).

They have been completely blindsided by RL. I'm not sure what else they could have done if they had an agreement to deal with this - in good faith - at the end of the season.
RL Management company had nfi what he was doing. Bit hard to expect our board to know.

+1 post.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I BLAME BUTTERSS...

Joking... no really only joking.

mick13
Club Player

Good post.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Starting from the position that the board have been truthful - let's face it they don't seem smart enough to lie to us. Then in good faith between the club and RL any conversation on a new contract was going to happen at the end of the season.

Yes and no. They should have signed him up months ago.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

yep THAT and allowing this dumb clause is undeniable.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmar
Club Player

It's a bit hard to sign him up when he's plotting to leave anyway. He was still under contract for next year, so the contract wouldn't have meant much.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

And the truth is none of us know what was in the contract, and nobody knows the conversations and agreements made.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

yep THAT and allowing this dumb clause is undeniable.
The clause also meant we could let him go with three months notice. From what I can remember, that contract was done in 2008 before we started our run and before he was considerd a coaching genius.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:And the truth is none of us know what was in the contract, and nobody knows the conversations and agreements made.
I actually find it quite amazing that this clause was made public.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He wouldn't negotiate, now we know why.

Qld Saints Supporter Group