Robert Walls

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

flogger

thefatdork
Club Player

PaytonPlace wrote:Well the article is up...

You can either read it, or go on Youtube and watch a monkey ride a pushbike

I know which one I'm gonna do
Can you post the link - i'd really like to see that!!

Oh - just saw that you did.
Cheers :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Walls

linz wrote:No point buying the Age tomorrow
Especially if you are a member of the St.Kilda FC.

You get it delivered for free :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SteveStevens66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: The point is every sport is conflicted because the media get people who were involved in the game to write about the game and that makes complete sense. There is no way around it.
Actually, you are 100% wrong on this, when, for example, it comes to soccer, both in England and on the Continent. The commentary for every EPL game is done by professional commentators not ex-players. The newspaper journalists who cover soccer, take a look at the Guardian, The Times or The Telegraph and you will find beautifully written, literate and often literary, articles on the game. The same is true in U.S., where I live. It is all professional. go online and read the sports section of the New York Times. You'd be embarrassed by the media covering the AFL.

TV and radio coverage of the AFL is about jobs for the boys. We have a setup where Mike Sheahan, who writes one sentence paragraphs for a Grade 4 reading level, is regarded as the premier footy journalist.

Plugger, if you just once didn't defend the status quo you might learn something you didn't previously know. But to do that you have to adopt a critical stance. Try it. You might just like it.

Carna Saints!!!
awesome_days
Club Player

I say give him a run in the ruck, apparently it works every time a key position player is having a quiet game.

Just dont forget to complain how said key position player is being wasted and put into mortal danger from the bash and crash world of ruckwork if the move is actually made.

The Guardian articles are generally superb - I would love sport coverage like that in Australia.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Walls

linz wrote:No point buying the Age tomorrow because I'll tell you what Rob "THE PREDICTABLE HEADLINE master reporter" and MENTOR to our departed coach will say: Lyon did the right thing by leaving St Kilda because:

1) Ross's players betrayed his trust in New Zealand particularly Zac Dawson, Jack Steven and fill in the dots ........... Ross should have left then or at the very least at the end of the year. (As i recommended at the time)

2) SAINT Kildas management of the St Kilda schoolgirl scandal was not good enough. (Ross Lyon should leave the club 'cause it's culture is so bad)

3) Both sides have got the best out of each other and have got nothing to offer each other anymore. 2 Gf''s blah blah ......... and ....... blah

AND NOW THE TRUTH (in my opinion): A conversation which possibly/probably took place in the past month or so:

RL: Robert, I have been offered 1.25m + incentives per year to coach Freo.

RW: Take it Ross because St Kilda is a crap club and you can set yourself up for life. Besides, you will never win a flag at the Saints because they don't have enough money. Believe me, there is no longer loyalty in football. Take what you can while you can. A club with money can always find ways to keep/get required players. Nothing has changed since my Carlton days. MONEY SPEAKS.

RL: I have always respected your advise Robert. ( thinking: you did get me the Saints gig afterall)

:?

spot on...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I was looking at news items on The Age website and happened across Walls's article, which brought to mind not so much the monkey on the bicycle as what would invariably be left behind on the ground when both monkey and bicycle have moved on.

The gist of the article seemed to be that it is reasonable behaviour to promise the world to women when they are young and pretty and then, once they develop a few wrinkles, run off with your secretary. And, guess what, the woman you dumped will be better off too because they won't have had to go through all the trauma of feeling that you were drifting away from them because they weren't as pretty any more.

Something like that, anyway. Thanks for all you did for our club, Wallsy. Now be a pet, run off and stick your head up a dead bear's bum.

gold... :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
linz
Club Player

I reckon Wallsy has helped his old mate a few times this year. At least three times during the year his print articles (and numerous times on radio) have recommended Lyon to relocate to a club with better prospects/culture/resources call it what you will.

By doing this the blow and ultimate betrayal would then seem to be lessened.
The public could then say: "Well Robert Walls said this should have happened ages ago" Happily the majority of the public know what a tool Walls is.

His recommendation to Lyon clearly was you might as well shaft the club, the players, the supporters, the sponsors before the administration shafts you. Never mind that your decision shafts a peer in Harvey in the process. It is a business after all. Maybe Lyon can throw a few silver coins in Wallsy's direction when his TV income dries up.

Do you get the impression I don't like the bloke?
:x

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know when the three month out clause in Ross' contact was first discussed in the media and by who?

I remember Walls talking about it on One Week At a Time. How does a clause in a supposed confidential commercial agreement get leaked into the public domain?

It's a fairly reasonable question to ask. It could have come from anywhere but if it came from the Lyon camp for argument sake (read mates in the media), it's not a bad market signal at all that Lyon was was gettable is it?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of 3 months, won't Freo's pre season be delayed till December if club insisted on the 3 months?

noreason41
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Speaking of 3 months, won't Freo's pre season be delayed till December if club insisted on the 3 months?
Don't you think it's more of a distraction for everyone at the club, if we were to try and gain 'justice' or 'vengeance' for what Lyon did?

Not too mention how petty we would look. If someone doesn't want to be at the club, contract or otherwise, they should be free to leave. Not for the person who wants to leave, but for the good of the club.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No need to keep him at the club just pay him the 3 months and prevent him starting new job!

Rosco
Club Player

PaytonPlace wrote:
meher baba wrote:
PaytonPlace wrote:Well the article is up...

You can either read it, or go on Youtube and watch a monkey ride a pushbike

I know which one I'm gonna do
Just about post of the year IMO!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But where's the link (to the monkey video)?
Sorry I certaintly shouldn't deprive the world of monkey/bike antics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzm64Nlw ... re=related

Officially better than every Robert Walls article ever written...
at about 18 seconds in it looks like he's about to crash into the gutter, then they cut away. i hope no monkeys were harmed in the making of that video.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I can guarantee that Robert Walls was not harmed in the making of that video.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I can guarantee that Robert Walls was not harmed in the making of that video.
Pity.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

I am concerned about the safety of the monkey, although one resourceful enough to accquire a school uniform and cap should have made it out OK...

What's that Robert? You've got more thoughts on Ross Lyon? You think he's a man of integrity and honor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1xFLrPu ... re=related

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PaytonPlace wrote:I am concerned about the safety of the monkey, although one resourceful enough to accquire a school uniform and cap should have made it out OK...

What's that Robert? You've got more thoughts on Ross Lyon? You think he's a man of integrity and honor?

Is Ross the one in purple? :D

rosie185

[quote="Majority"]I was going to start a new thread, but I will add it here.

Robert Walls was always negative about anything St.Kilda. Then his mate Lyon was named coach. Walls quickly started to say glowing things about the Sainters. I could not believe my ears listening to him on 1 HD and could not believe my eyes reading his comments in the Age . After a few years Walls had conned me and I thought he really did have a balanced view about football. Within hours of Lyon walking, Walls is back to his true colours and say’s ‘’The likelihood is the Saints will decline into mediocrity over the next few years.â€

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Carn't stand listening to him .
Unbelievable bore .
Nonsensical special comments .
Theoretical blockhead .
-
-
-
-

Plugger87

Robert WHO????

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PaytonPlace wrote:I am concerned about the safety of the monkey, although one resourceful enough to accquire a school uniform and cap should have made it out OK...

Is Ross the one in purple? :D
Look that's really a question for Ross, we're just committed to looking forward

(If in doubt, Nettlefold answers rule)

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This thread is great.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Well, at least we'll be spared some typical Walls sneering triumphalism if Freo is walloping the Saints in their first meeting next year.

After a shot of Lyin' in the coaches box:

"They let that man go, Quarters. They didn't give him what he was asking for. One of the great modern coaches, and he wasn't good enough for the Saints."