new saints coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

linz
Club Player

Hinkley sounds like he has the experience and the knowledge but hasn't he already walked out/and or been sacked by us when he was an assistant with Blighty. Maybe Thomas sacked him anyway as he saw him as a threat.

I reckon Choco will get the gig; rightly or wrongly.Our Football list recruiting manager must have some pull re coaching appointments. Choco and Pelchin were mates at Port Adelaide. I think a big reason Lyon left was because he had his nose out of joint.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Nathan Basset will one day make a great AFL coach. Currently in his 2nd year at SANFL level and has not only developed a whole bunch of players but got his team into a GF last year (after being out of the finals previously) and they only just missed winning the flag by a kick. This year, depsite being decimated with a number of senior and junior players getting recruited to the AFL, he has got his team back in contention - they play off for a GF birth next weekend.

Get him on board as an assistant.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they'll be all over Tudor like a rash. Knows the cattle. Knows the ins and outs. Monty IMO...

Hinkley is a classic assistant and not ready - Port didn't want him. That says lots.

Chasing McKenna would involve paying out a year of a lucrative Suns contract. Not gonna happen.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm not against tudor at all but do we want to become more like swans again?

I would not be against choco if he came with some young quality assistants . as I mentioned previously I would be sounding out darren milburne immediately and also maybe a well spoken young guy in the simon goodwin mould to play good cop to chocos bad cop. Even chad cornes might make an ok assistant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Hinkley sounds like he has the experience and the knowledge but hasn't he already walked out/and or been sacked by us when he was an assistant with Blighty. Maybe Thomas sacked him anyway as he saw him as a threat.

I reckon Choco will get the gig; rightly or wrongly.

f***...i hope not.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling we will appoint Rob Harvey. we have no cash, knows the group, will be loved and given time as a legend. I don't think he is a great communicator but I don't know. Just a feeling I get based on the way boards tend to think.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I have a feeling we will appoint Rob Harvey. we have no cash, knows the group, will be loved and given time as a legend. I don't think he is a great communicator but I don't know. Just a feeling I get based on the way boards tend to think.
]

What do you mean we have no cash? Were was the money coming from that they were offering Lyon? Monopoly money?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have a feeling we will appoint Rob Harvey. we have no cash, knows the group, will be loved and given time as a legend. I don't think he is a great communicator but I don't know. Just a feeling I get based on the way boards tend to think.
This would be a Voss disaster.

Harvs is a legend of the club but IMHO from nothing but hearing him talk footy in the media.....he doesnt strike me as a great football tactician/communicator.

“Yeah….nah””
miskycat
Club Player

Dean Wallis? :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
dragit wrote:
Legendary wrote:Ayres was hopeless at AFL level.

Took over at the Cats, took them from the top to the bottom of the ladder. Then did the same thing with Adelaide. Terrible record when he did play finals.

His record as an AFL coach is shocking. I'd rather John Barker coach us than Gary Ayres.
This proves my point about perception and stigma…
Winning loss ratios

Gary Ayres - 55.21%

Compared to those we perceive as recent greats

Malcolm Blight - 54.63
Mick Malthouse - 58.96
Leigh Matthews - 58.41
Paul Roos - 58.0

You're right about the finals record though at only 33%,
But similar to
Craig 33%
Eade 36%
Worsfold 42%

even Malthouse is just above half at 54%
I think it shows that win or loss ratios aren't much of a measure...

I don't need stats to tell me who's played well when I'm watching a game of footy. Nathan Buckley might have had a lot of possessions, but I know that Jarman, Hird, Long, Carey and Johno Brown are the guys who inspire and lift and drag teams with them to victory - not the guys like Buckley with countless smothered kicks or inneffective kicks or handballs. I don't need stats to tell me who the great AFL coaches have been in my life time either.

Barrassi, Parkin and also probably Lethal coached until they lost the passion. The only current senior coach that can put his name beside these blokes is Malthouse. If we want to win a flag in the next 3 years, we try to get this bloke to our footy club asap

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

You might be right

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I reckon they'll be all over Tudor like a rash. Knows the cattle. Knows the ins and outs. Monty IMO...

Hinkley is a classic assistant and not ready - Port didn't want him. That says lots.

Chasing McKenna would involve paying out a year of a lucrative Suns contract. Not gonna happen.

Im pretty sure Leigh Tudor doesnt want to be a senior coach. I reckon we will chase Choco actually and that who who I would have my money on even though I got a whisper on Laidley.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon we will chase Choco actually and that who who I would have my money on even though I got a whisper on Laidley.
Please stop saying that! :cry:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I reckon we will chase Choco actually and that who who I would have my money on even though I got a whisper on Laidley.
According to Martin Blake, Laidley is not interested.

BTW, even our own supporteres in the media don't have anything nice to say about us.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1kg32.html

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
suss
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
To which one? Laidley never won a premiership...Choco did. In fact his team of 02-04 was almost unbeatable during the year but had a choking issue ( which was clearly overcome) in the finals.

I don't think that there would be a better person to navigate the perilous path we face over the next 3 years. Matthews sees us as a top 4 team and others have us as a massive slider. I reckon Williams would be able to keep good kids coming in while giving us a chance of a premiership (our gun players are 28-29, they're not dead).

He also plays a more attacking brand of football and he also has a good knowledge of the talent available at GWS. He'd be my man.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
To which one?
The Laidley one of course :P

saintly
Saintsational Legend

hope not, lousy communicator! and not ready

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
hope not, lousy communicator! and not ready
Just a legend of the club!

Seems that no one really wants to coach St.Kilda, Laidley included.

The stats show that they won't coach more than 100 games and at the end of the day they'll get sacked.

Maybe Danny Frawley wants to come back?

Another opportunity awaits!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6140536971

Story in the Hun today saying we have sounded out Scott Watters who is currently an assistant at the Filth

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sounds like Scott WATTERS is the man !

Sounds like Scott WATTERS is the man !

Wou;d be a sound choice as has coached (outright) a team in the WAFL to two flags has been involved in a number of AFL clubs and had a sound grounding under Malthouse.

Plus he is young enthusiastic and is not full of his own importance !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6140536971

Story in the Hun today saying we have sounded out Scott Watters who is currently an assistant at the Filth

BANG BANG
Awesome, more pun potential there to plumb the depths of....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am a yes to scotty watters. Would not be a bad call. Although has mainly only been under malthouse.

I still reckon choco might be ok. There seems to be this idea of a used by date on coaches. Not sure if its valid. By all reports he is genuinely funny bloke.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's really difficult to pick from the outside - is there a Scott triplet anywhere??

Is sounds like Watters and Choco could be short-list candidates.

In the current Saints environment, I think that we need a mature coach, who has been through the rough and tumble of internal conflicts, in addition to being a seasoned coach. He also needs to be able to make the hard decisions with a mature list. Choco seems to have these credentials, more than others (no, not Rodney).

Harvey was "let go" at Carlton and doesn't seem to have the communication skills. Being a football "legend" has limited currency at AFL level these days - it's all about performance.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We have never had great returns from coaches that have won Premierships elsewhere, sucn as Jesa and Tony Jewel. Would prefer an experienced assistant, as Ross was. Watters sounds alright to me.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I would expect our shortlist to look something like this...

Alan Richardson
Scott Watters
Blake Caracella
Leon Cameron
Brenton Sanderson
Leigh Tudor
David Teague

I can't see us going for someone who's been a senior AFL coach before.

If the Crows don't take Scott Burns then he'd be on the list too.