Another view and some questions now on Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Another view and some questions now on Lyon

As much as a loss may be seen let’s look at some perspectives.

Have we truly lost someone valuable we want at the club anyway now knowing his true character?

IMO yes he has to look after himself at the end of the day but it’s not purely just all about business.
The St Kilda Football Club gave him his break when he was only an assistant needing someone to give him a go which who knows still may never have happened from another Club.

Now he’s built up his CV from that opportunity, doesn’t need us anymore and makes a clinical business decision and discards us like a shitty nappy.
I’m not saying he owes us everything for that but maybe some respect and a little loyalty and a bit of feeling of commitment in a sense rather than now acting all smug with an attitude as well.

Obviously he never embraced the Club at all from his behaviour since departing.

Which now asks the question.

Does an attitude like this have an effect on reaching the full potential? Isn’t selfishness a huge liability in team orientated business.

I mean how stupid is this guy sitting there gloating like a cat that got the cream about never promoting loyalty to players and just simply going for the better deal and basically being selfish and he’s starting with a new club and new players who I’m sure would have all watched that press conference.

Now after this how are the players at the Freo Football club going to truly feel about him and respect him?
How does someone like this motivate to get the best out them that has all but said “I couldn’t care less about the club I only go for the money and never preach about loyalty to the playersâ€

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I loved how he tried to compare himself with lethal and then lethal came out and rubbished him.

what a friggin joker comparing himself to lethal in the first place. could not tie lethal's shoes.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Thank the club for giving him the chance ,to coach in the first place,has he said that?Who knows he may not be getting the millions$,if it wasnt for theSTFC

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Thank the club for giving him the chance ,to coach in the first place,has he said that?Who knows he may not be getting the millions$,if it wasnt for theSTFC
good call

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I loved how he tried to compare himself with lethal and then lethal came out and rubbished him.

what a friggin joker comparing himself to lethal in the first place. could not tie lethal's shoes.
+1

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Coach for hire, one objective, win a premiership ASAP, no passion or loyalty involved, get out ASAP when it suits. So far for Lyon it's senior coaching appointment 1= fail, move on to next club.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

spert wrote:Coach for hire, one objective, win a premiership ASAP, no passion or loyalty involved, get out ASAP when it suits. So far for Lyon it's senior coaching appointment 1= fail, move on to next club.
Honestly I don't care he is gone but I care how he went about it all - he has put the pressure on and if he can't deliver will go down in flames and I for one will enjoy watching it happen!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is like an ex partner, I'm over him now he's the past and he can go f%$# himself.

The press is trying to paint a picture of bleak winters but they are so full of s*** it's not funny, these are the people that had Geelong not making the 8 based on a smashing from the pies in the finals. We still have plenty of upside and I can't wait to get going on our future. We will be a surprise packet next year and they will anoint our coach a genius for taking a barely decent list to the finals, Ross will be excused for narrowly missing finals despite having a full list as he will be given time. He will retire the Pav and cause a huge uproar in Freo.

I hope Ross gives them all footy syphilis the dirty coach whore.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

spert wrote:Coach for hire, one objective, win a premiership ASAP, no passion or loyalty involved, get out ASAP when it suits. So far for Lyon it's senior coaching appointment 1= fail, move on to next club.
LOL, yeah, can you imagine any respective coach applying for the position of senior coach and answering a question on whether they consider themselves a loyal person. Coach: "Sorry loyalty is not part of my repertoire but I am a hard worker." Employer: ....?!!...." NEXT !"

To the top
SS Life Member

You can take a line thru his character from the plight he is in financially.

No doubt invested in the likes of Storm Financial/Opus Prime/Babcock and Brown etc. etc., gearing up and sitting back looking to get rich on someone else's money.

Well, the way you accrue wealth is by accruing it - and that includes by repaying your debt.

Obviously Lyon does not believe in working to accrue - allowing effort, discipline and time to deliver the ultimate result.

He is attracted to the instant glitz and the prospect of instant wealth.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:You can take a line thru his character from the plight he is in financially.

No doubt invested in the likes of Storm Financial/Opus Prime/Babcock and Brown etc. etc., gearing up and sitting back looking to get rich on someone else's money.
Is he broke?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another view and some questions now on Lyon

Winmar7Fan wrote:I mean how stupid is this guy sitting there gloating like a cat that got the cream about never promoting loyalty to players and just simply going for the better deal and basically being selfish and he’s starting with a new club and new players who I’m sure would have all watched that press conference.
we can sook about it all we want, but imagine this situation.

what if lyon had signed the contract presented to him in april - with conditions? what if halfway through next season we were playing boring footy and not getting results - sitting 4-1-7 (as we were this year) and a fair way out of the eight? what if we then went on to miss the finals? or even to lose in the first week the same as this year?

what loyalty do you think the club would have shown lyon in that situation?

no-one can know, but i'm pretty confident that he would have been dumped towards the end of next season if we had a mediocre year on field and everyone felt we were still playing boring footy, and none of the kids particularly came through as stars.

and yet, that's the most likely outcome. walsh plays 8 and doesn't do that much. cripps, ledger and siposs show some signs but are inconsistent. everyone else gets a year older. we're unlikely to have a really good year next year and that would likely have spelt the end of ross lyon at st kilda, and jeopardised his career.

so maybe he did the only thing he could do?

Spud
Club Player

dragit wrote:
To the top wrote:You can take a line thru his character from the plight he is in financially.

Is he broke?
Apparently he got badly burnt investing during the global financial crisis. I've no doubt this contributed significantly in his decision to take up the financial offer from Freo.

Spud
Club Player

Re: Another view and some questions now on Lyon

bergholt wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:I mean how stupid is this guy sitting there gloating like a cat that got the cream about never promoting loyalty to players and just simply going for the better deal and basically being selfish and he’s starting with a new club and new players who I’m sure would have all watched that press conference.
we can sook about it all we want, but imagine this situation.

what if lyon had signed the contract presented to him in april - with conditions? what if halfway through next season we were playing boring footy and not getting results - sitting 4-1-7 (as we were this year) and a fair way out of the eight? what if we then went on to miss the finals? or even to lose in the first week the same as this year?

what loyalty do you think the club would have shown lyon in that situation?

no-one can know, but i'm pretty confident that he would have been dumped towards the end of next season if we had a mediocre year on field and everyone felt we were still playing boring footy, and none of the kids particularly came through as stars.

and yet, that's the most likely outcome. walsh plays 8 and doesn't do that much. cripps, ledger and siposs show some signs but are inconsistent. everyone else gets a year older. we're unlikely to have a really good year next year and that would likely have spelt the end of ross lyon at st kilda, and jeopardised his career.

so maybe he did the only thing he could do?
It's understandable that his family was of prime concern, his "purpose "as he called them. It's the cloak and dagger stuff that is the repugnant part. I agree with others that he was having a bet each way (ie stay with Saints if other offers aren't forthcoming), and it so happened that Freo came along at an opportune time and he got out.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is like an ex partner, I'm over him now he's the past and he can go f%$# himself...
Hey, that's not a bad analogy. But as everyone knows, it's never like that, especially for the wounded party i.e. the one who was walked out on. Despite the best advice of cool heads and it having occurred millions of times in the past to others, there will be the inevitable thrashing about, name calling, hate sessions, conspiracy theories, revenge scenarios and sometimes even worse. Not until the next love affair will things really settle down and even then, old wounds can be easily opened. Fortunately, it would never happen simply over a coaching appointment at a football club, especially on this board.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

'his' family won't be quite as hungry as mark harvey's.
but for some - it's all about me!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So, should ross and his family make sacrifices to keep us........total strangers and fickle fans happy...

He did what i would do.....look out for my families best interest....

Take the best offer.....and opportunity....

Cant blame him for that.......its up to our board to compete with those offers to satisfy his wants....if they truly want him...

Deal should have been done in may

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:Thank the club for giving him the chance ,to coach in the first place,has he said that?Who knows he may not be getting the millions$,if it wasnt for theSTFC
Totally agree.

Remember who gave you your start because one day you may need them more than they need you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if ya on 700 grand a year for 4 years, you cant set yourself and the family up???
i reckon i could save 600 grand of that and still live bloody quite nicely.

greed and other reasons
family easily set up on what we prob offered
he wanted out

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So, should ross and his family make sacrifices to keep us........total strangers and fickle fans happy...

Cant blame him for that.......its up to our board to compete with those offers to satisfy his wants....if they truly want him...

it comes down to the individual - loyalty has it's own rewards - ross chose money over those - his call, but he has to wear the flack given the manner he conducted himself.
not everyone would do what he did. not nearly in the same ball park but i knocked down a job i wanted with a hefty payrise as they wanted me to start asap. i said i couldn't stuff up my current clients and try again later if something pops up and they still want me. their boss moved to my old town into a great institution, and called me offering a new position with even better terms & money - said my previous decision meant she knew she could trust me to do the right thing. so karma paid me back -and i got to move back home. but even if not, i was happy with myself as i acted within my own value system. ross acted within his. merecenary values imo.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
realdeal
Club Player

BigMart wrote:So, should ross and his family make sacrifices to keep us........total strangers and fickle fans happy...

Wasn't it decided by all to wait until the season is over and not deal in May?

He then had a 4 year extension on the table ready to sign, if next year we were doing badly and we fired him we would've had to have paid him out millions regardless so "his family" being looked after would be covered.

Anyway, i think what people are angry about is the manner in which he left.
If he came out on the Monday and said he was considering his options etc and then decided to leave is one thing but doing it the deceitful underhanded manner in which he did has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is like an ex partner, I'm over him now he's the past and he can go f%$# himself.

The press is trying to paint a picture of bleak winters but they are so full of s*** it's not funny, these are the people that had Geelong not making the 8 based on a smashing from the pies in the finals. We still have plenty of upside and I can't wait to get going on our future. We will be a surprise packet next year and they will anoint our coach a genius for taking a barely decent list to the finals, Ross will be excused for narrowly missing finals despite having a full list as he will be given time. He will retire the Pav and cause a huge uproar in Freo.

I hope Ross gives them all footy syphilis the dirty coach whore.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sacrifice? Poor arsehole. Let's pass around the hat.

For us? No, not even for "his boys"

Compete with those offers? really? When did he inform the club that he'd had a better offer?

Deal should have been done in May? If they'd expected that he would behave in the manor that he has, I would hope they would have kicked his arse all the way to fremental. But I expect that they considered his current contract was...current!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As he said

Freo did in 72 hrs what stk could not get done in 6mnths......his management requested a deal in april......we told him to wait.....

Why

Because if we finished 2nd last we could hopefully get a better deal or f*** him off....

It turned bad when we won 8 out of 11 and he was in demand...

We gambled and lost

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As he said

Freo did in 72 hrs what stk could not get done in 6mnths......his management requested a deal in april......we told him to wait.....
ST KILDA has full confidence coach Ross Lyon will commit to the club and oversee the rebuilding of the Saints' list.

Lyon's delaying of contract talks until the end of the season has been seen as a sign he may be willing to test the coaching market.

But the Saints believe it indicates he is focused on ensuring his team makes an impact in the finals.