Coach Selectioin Panel Formalised

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

saintlee wrote:"The recruitment program will be systematic and comprehensive and is expected to be complete in approximately four weeks."

This is music to my hears, the words "systematic and comprehensive" are exactly what's needed.
Four weeks takes us to the weeks AFTER trade week (which begins on October 10th). Obviously they want to make the right choice, but shame it couldn't be finalised before then. Although I guess it would be Pelchan making the majority of decisions there anyway...

Also, I am happy with the above list of names - seems to contain a wide selection of experience and skills (except coaching of course...). But why-oh-why is the media making a song and dance about how strange the committee is? Are they really that focussed on what GT says? Why do his opinions carry any weight at all!?

Schillaci
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
ZhuhaiSainter wrote:Any notion on how Johnson would rate Eade?
dont think eade is even on our short list.
who is on the short list?
Danny Devito, Peter Bakos and Chris Munce.
Peter Bakos...that's a name I haven't heard in quite a few years. Saw him at a Sportsman's night many years ago at the Pines with Bill Lawry, Slug Jordan and others. Very funny man.

StNoodles
Club Player

Would've thought having a former coach on the panel would make sense :!:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:Would've thought having a former coach on the panel would make sense :!:
yer i saw that and thought.....nice that we are "all corporate" but where is the coaching knowledge coming from???

I wouldve at least approached Leigh Matthews as an advisor????

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like they have someone already.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

...and a club has just appointed a coach that never played a game, is it such a big deal?

busso mick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Scotty Watters has got little legs as well.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:...and a club has just appointed a coach that never played a game, is it such a big deal?
No but if you want to recruit a mechanic its nice to have someone on the panel/part of the process who knows a bit bout fixing cars...

Brad Johnsons a nice guy. Not a coach.

Would have been great to have Neil Craig etc someone like that on the panel who at least has recent experience and integrity.......

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:...and a club has just appointed a coach that never played a game, is it such a big deal?
Exactly.

I can only imagine how this site would have reacted if we'd been the ones to appoint the AFL virgin.

Then again, maybe we'll appoint Joyce Brown and there'll be a total site meltdown :shock:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

There's heaps of names that I would LIKE to have seen on the panel, and maybe the board would have liked to have other panellists, but we don't know the availibility/willingness of the people we would have LIKED on the panel to be a part of the process (gee I hate that word!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Royston
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Champagne !!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im a little puzzled....we have the Coles guy on the panel for "commercial" matters......and no senior experienced previous coach,

This strikes me as odd.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Im a little puzzled....we have the Coles guy on the panel for "commercial" matters......and no senior experienced previous coach,

This strikes me as odd.
I suspect the Coles guy would be the best judge out of all of them.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Teflon wrote:Im a little puzzled....we have the Coles guy on the panel for "commercial" matters......and no senior experienced previous coach,

This strikes me as odd.
he's there to get the new coaches salary down down.......wages are down...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

This strikes me as odd.
Well he should ensure that with whoever we appoint the price will be down.... down, down!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

This strikes me as odd.
maybe he's a coach in waiting? gotta get the experience in there somewhere.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

This strikes me as odd.
Well he should ensure that with whoever we appoint the price will be down.... down, down!
plagiarism....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

This strikes me as odd.
plagiarism....
Please accept my apologies bob. Hard to see all the posts when you're using the phone.

Feel free to give me the big red finger :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

This strikes me as odd.
plagiarism....
Please accept my apologies bob. Hard to see all the posts when you're using the phone.

Feel free to give me the big red finger :D
:lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The panel consists of Chris Pelchen and a bunch of people approved by Chris Pelchen to help Chris Pelchen appoint the next coach of the St Kilda football club. It's a pity they couldn't find a former coach to nod in agreement when Chris Pelchen makes his selection.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
savatage
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:The panel consists of Chris Pelchen and a bunch of people approved by Chris Pelchen to help Chris Pelchen appoint the next coach of the St Kilda football club. It's a pity they couldn't find a former coach to nod in agreement when Chris Pelchen makes his selection.
Burkey has never been a yes man!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:Brad Johnson??

I would have thought someone like Tom Harley or Brett Kirk would be good.
F*** Tom Harley, I don't get it with this guy!

Another opportunity awaits!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:The panel consists of Chris Pelchen and a bunch of people approved by Chris Pelchen to help Chris Pelchen appoint the next coach of the St Kilda football club. It's a pity they couldn't find a former coach to nod in agreement when Chris Pelchen makes his selection.
hhmm...

“Yeah….nah””
Austinnn
Club Player

Seems to me after reading the line up of this search team that the club is after a newbie, not a traditional old school name. Perhaps after the situation with Walls and Lyon, they wanted to avoid cronies and mates... or maybe these were the only people who returned our calls.

This strikes me as odd.
My sentiments exactly. Since when does a Senior Coach have anything to do with 'Commercial Matters'?

Brad Johnson? What the hell would he know about a winning culture, a successful coaching structure or anything to do with what we need? Essentially, he's like Harves; nice guy, champion player and excellent trainer who dragged his team up, played a lot of games and only played in one environment, watching different coaching teams go through the revolving doors.

He's too nice, Burkey and Thompson are too nice, even Nettelfold is too nice. Nettelfold is the fella that said Lyon wouldn't leave as he's contracted then after he left said the same thing about Misson. To make a mistake, though costly, can be forgiven. To not learn from that mistake and get done by the same trick is unforgivable at this level. This guy gets $700'000 a year, apparently. If he says the same thing about Brendon Goddard next week I will kiss Barks4Eva's arse and jump on his mystery presidential ticket. Not sure Nettelfold's the right person for any role at St Kilda. Starting to agree with Barks here, this board SEEM incompetent.*

It's a dirty industry these days footy, and this is a crucial moment in our history. At the very moment Footy is making the transition to ultra-commercial emotion-free business, at the very moment that the AFL is pushing in 2 new expansion teams at the expense of the rest, at the very moment the global economy is going down the drain leaving everyone with less cash to spend, it seems like the club is being run by innocents. That won't wash. I want clever schemers and machevelian operators there making the hard decisions that will put us ahead of the pack. Because the other clubs are run that way, and if they see a vulnerable club, they will do exactly what Freo have done.

Pelchen at least seems snakey and calculating enough to know rat cunning when he sees it, and lets face it, that's what we need. Vacuous Space's suggestion might actually be true. Bloody Hell.

I am sorry guys, I'm really trying to be positive here, but there is not one person on this list that instills me with confidence. Worse still, now it's public, the footy world can have another little laugh at our expense. The poor players, you'd have to be as loyal as the Dog On The Tuckerbox to want to stay with us the way things are going.

*However, I am hoping that it's all a cunning ruse and they have a plan all along that we are not privvy to yet, perhaps all will be revealed after the finals. I am hoping that there are things in the pipeline that when revealed will make us go "Ahhhh, right, that's why they let Lyon and Misson walk out the door, that's why they put together a coaching search team that didn't have one single ex-coach in it. That's why, those clever brilliant bastards! Hahahahahaha!"

If not, then I think at the very least we need a new CEO and perhaps a new board too. If this was not all part of the plan, then the decision makers at our club are too naïve and not tactical enough.
Behind Play wrote:As long as Walls stays away....lowest of the low.
Now that I can agree with. He calls in Ross, he waits a few years, then he bloody pushes like hell for him to bail on us. Walls can suck my b....

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Austinnn"]*However, I am hoping that it's all a cunning ruse and they have a plan all along that we are not privvy to yet, perhaps all will be revealed after the finals. I am hoping that there are things in the pipeline that when revealed will make us go "Ahhhh, right, that's why they let Lyon and Misson walk out the door, that's why they put together a coaching search team that didn't have one single ex-coach in it. That's why, those clever brilliant bastards! Hahahahahaha!"

quote]

I think we are all holding out for that..............................but i just dont see it.

“Yeah….nah””