There is a bombshell we the public don't know

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think you're overthinking it.

SB: Was it untenable for you to stay at St Kilda because of relationship breakdowns?

RL: I think in the end my decision tells you that I thought it was best to go.

If a situation is untenable, doesn't that normally refer to a relationship breakdown?

If it was some kind of scandal, not sure his buddy Roos and others would hint at a relationship breakdown? His swipe at the presser about 6 months as opposed to 72 hours appeared emotive, I'd say he has fallen out with the big boys.
All I've ever thought.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ball couldn't/didn't want to work for lyon.
lyon couldn't/didn't want to work for the club.
ball was open and honest, laid his cards on the table - took ross at his word and chose to leave, even named where he wanted to go.
lyon kept his cards hidden - no respect for the club, his player, or the fans.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

SB: Was it untenable for you to stay at St Kilda because of relationship breakdowns?

If a situation is untenable, doesn't that normally refer to a relationship breakdown?

If it was some kind of scandal, not sure his buddy Roos and others would hint at a relationship breakdown? His swipe at the presser about 6 months as opposed to 72 hours appeared emotive, I'd say he has fallen out with the big boys.
All I've ever thought.
That's what I think too.

But I don't think that it's as sinister as people are thinking. I think it had more to do with his coaching than anything.

I think they wanted changes, or even demanded them.

For plenty of coaches, that would make the relationship untenable.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SainterK wrote:I'd say he has fallen out with the big boys.
Definitely has that undertone...meh...he was an employee of the club, and if you can't work with the boss, don't stay. His lousy exit spoke volumes about his character though, so I'm glad he's gone and everyone's moving on. Everyone else (Lyon, press, Fremantle) can try justify it to themselves all any way they like.
The same way that you are justifying it by thinking he wasn't a good coach.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
markp wrote:

All I've ever thought.
That's what I think too.

But I don't think that it's as sinister as people are thinking. I think it had more to do with his coaching than anything.

I think they wanted changes, or even demanded them.

For plenty of coaches, that would make the relationship untenable.
I think you're guessing (aren't we all?!).

Likely there were toes being trod on and patches being infringed upon.... but I'd really worry if they were trying to tell him how to coach, I think he has a handle on it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Caro Wilson summed it all up best when iher Saints piece she suggested the doomsdayers look at where Geelong were this time last year...Too old, poor, controversially premiership coachless.

There are reasons for everything. We are guessing at 99% of it.

For historical reasons we as a supporter base are far too quick to jump at shadows.

Maybe now's a good time to harden up and change for the better.

History is in the past. It needn't dictate the present.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
savatage
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
For historical reasons we as a supporter base are far too quick to jump at shadows.

Maybe now's a good time to harden up and change for the better.

History is in the past. It needn't dictate the present.
x 1000.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: I think you're guessing (aren't we all?!).

Likely there were toes being trod on and patches being infringed upon.... but I'd really worry if they were trying to tell him how to coach, I think he has a handle on it.
I'm definitely guessing!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am not at all worried about the Assistant Coaches leaving - didn't think much of them.

The new coach will bring in his preferred people.

Sad to see Dave Mission go though, but he's replaceable.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Definitely has that undertone...meh...he was an employee of the club, and if you can't work with the boss, don't stay. His lousy exit spoke volumes about his character though, so I'm glad he's gone and everyone's moving on. Everyone else (Lyon, press, Fremantle) can try justify it to themselves all any way they like.
Your words, not mine. I thought by saying he was a great coach on this forum, I was publicly stating he was a great coach...but obviously, there's more to my comments than meet the untrained eye!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
I think he was a good coach. Not great though.

But over the past 12 months, has been an average coach. Time will tell which way his career goes and how he is remembered.

My feelings are that it will continue down the 'average' path. His game plan was outdated, and I think he unequivecally believes in it. If he keeps trying to use it, he'll fail.

The same as if he stayed with us.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

But over the past 12 months, has been an average coach. Time will tell which way his career goes and how he is remembered.

My feelings are that it will continue down the 'average' path. His game plan was outdated, and I think he unequivecally believes in it. If he keeps trying to use it, he'll fail.

I really only thought the cracks were appearing in the last few weeks of this season, other than that, I was happy with his performances. You certainly can't argue with his overall record...thus far.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

I really only thought the cracks were appearing in the last few weeks of this season, other than that, I was happy with his performances. You certainly can't argue with his overall record...thus far.
I think you can.

We lost the GF that we clearly should have won in 09, after his new game plan took the comp by storm and caught everyone off guard.

But scoring was an issue. It didn't really matter much though, becuase teams just did not know how to score against us! And, our lack of system and efficiency going forward was masked by Riewoldt's freak season.

Then in 2010, it was very clear that scoring was still an issue. the 'kick it to Roo' system wasn't going to hold up - especially since he got hurt!
Then of course, we couldn't kick enough goals in the GF and then were completely blown away by a better team with a better game plan.

There's had evolved and was now the benchmark. Ours was the same as it was a year earlier, and had been worked out. Even though we were a dodgy bounce away from a flag, it's easy to forget that we were a dodgy free kick away from not even making the GF that year.

Then this year, the only change we saw to the game plan was an effort to play on all the time! That was it!
That was the only reaction to what we'd seen Collingwood and other clubs bring to the table in 2010!
And it resulted in 6 clubs brezzing past us!

So if you look at a record of 60% win/loss and 2 GFs over 5 years, sure, his record looks great.
But if you break it down over time, for mine there's a very steady decline from the 2009 GF onwards.

If you take over a young team with the core just entering their prime, and having played finals for 3 years in a row, then there's no excuse for not having a great win/loss ratio.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Here's a positive bombshell ,,, could he be our our next coach ?
Our female membership might increase, for one thing.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

He could look like a unicorn or a donkey, if you squint hard enough Johnny, but no-one's perfect over a 5 year period...not forgetting the work he put into effectively an AA backline 2008 and 2009 if nothing else. Too easy to say "meh, we didn't need him anyway"...but at least you're not saying he's totally crap, like I apparently have been. :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back to the headline of this thread

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick .................... !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Back to the headline of this thread

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick .................... !!
Boom???

Now I have the song for Fresh Prince of Bel Air in my head :?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

I think you can.

We lost the GF that we clearly should have won in 09, after his new game plan took the comp by storm and caught everyone off guard.

But scoring was an issue. It didn't really matter much though, becuase teams just did not know how to score against us! And, our lack of system and efficiency going forward was masked by Riewoldt's freak season.

Then in 2010, it was very clear that scoring was still an issue. the 'kick it to Roo' system wasn't going to hold up - especially since he got hurt!
Then of course, we couldn't kick enough goals in the GF and then were completely blown away by a better team with a better game plan.

There's had evolved and was now the benchmark. Ours was the same as it was a year earlier, and had been worked out. Even though we were a dodgy bounce away from a flag, it's easy to forget that we were a dodgy free kick away from not even making the GF that year.

Then this year, the only change we saw to the game plan was an effort to play on all the time! That was it!
That was the only reaction to what we'd seen Collingwood and other clubs bring to the table in 2010!

So if you look at a record of 60% win/loss and 2 GFs over 5 years, sure, his record looks great.
But if you break it down over time, for mine there's a very steady decline from the 2009 GF onwards.

If you take over a young team with the core just entering their prime, and having played finals for 3 years in a row, then there's no excuse for not having a great win/loss ratio.
We lost the 09 GF becuase Ross couldn't kick straight...I mean see straight.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

I think you can.

We lost the 09 GF becuase Ross couldn't kick straight...I mean see straight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We lost the 09 GF becuase Ross couldn't kick straight...I mean see straight.
Oh, you don't wanna go there Pav...Roger will be 'back' with his Luke Ball game time rant.

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

Surprised someone hasn't blamed Kozi for crossing the interchange line and costing a free.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
SunburySaint
Club Player

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We lost the 09 GF becuase Ross couldn't kick straight...I mean see straight.
Oh, you don't wanna go there Pav...Roger will be 'back' with his Luke Ball game time rant.
What game time?

Now lives in Geelong...
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: There is a bombshell we the public don't know

VietNam_Saint wrote:I am convince that within the club something has gone horribly wrong.

I do expect more people to be leaving ,, gonna be a long hard road ahead i think.

Love to be wrong , but i have a very bad feeling on this.
Is this just a hunch?

Or do you know something?

Any evidence or anything?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
What game time?
Yes, that argument.

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

Re: There is a bombshell we the public don't know

Leo.J wrote:
VietNam_Saint wrote:I am convince that within the club something has gone horribly wrong.

I do expect more people to be leaving ,, gonna be a long hard road ahead i think.

Love to be wrong , but i have a very bad feeling on this.
Is this just a hunch?

Or do you know something?

Any evidence or anything?
Salary Cap issues?? Heard we were operating at close to if not spot on 100%.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)