Introduction of youth turned our season around

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Introduction of youth turned our season around

We are giving lot of credit for Rossy to turn our season around this year. We were 1 & 8 and then our season turned around.

People think that Ross did something to change this group around but for me it was the intorduction of young players that changed the mind set. They did bring a different atmposhere along with them & that lifted the sprit of the entire team.

Ross was forced to make changes & in rounds 9-11 had the right balance of experience and youth.

Cripps, Ledger, Simpkin, Lynch, Siposs all added a bit of spark and helped turn the season around.

Unfortunately Siposs, Cripps and Ledger all got injured and that gave the older guys another crack & they capitalised on that.

Unlucky for guys like Johnson, Walsh, Lynch and Simpkin who had to play out most of the remaining season at Zebras.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wrong.

When the senior players stopped sooking about the GF loss and off season debacles was the real turnaround.

By the last 6 rounds, all the kids were out injured.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The timing of introducing the younger guys certainly looked like it could have had an impact. It's difficult to have any certainty about it though.

I was pleased to see the Club get them off the track and into rehab. for next year. That was a good move that hopefully will pay off for us big time next year.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I still think our best display all season was against the Filth in Round 21.

We took an extremely experienced team into that game. Even the younger guys like Armo, Jack, Geary and Big Mac are pretty experienced, without having played a heap of AFL footy.

But at the time, we had to play the kids. I loved watching the Melbourne Game, where we had Winmar, Cripps, Siposs running around in the seniors, and I was really happy to see a few handy performances from other guys too, like Al Smith against the Bombers, and Arch against the Tigers.

I don't think all the doom and gloom with our kids is justified, they just haven't had many opportunity.

People are saying the difference between us this year and Geelong last year, is the kids. But how many games had guys like Christensen, West, Motlop played before Sniper Scott got there???

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

but Tommy Walsh couldn't get a game - even against Adelaide or Gold Coast, when he was playing well at Sandy and those two games were "safe bets" for us ........ perhaps next year!

ThePunter
Club Player

Firstly, for the record, we were 1-5-1. It was Round 8, but we had drawn a game, and had a bye. From that point on, the only teams we lost to were Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney.

The move of Jack Steven into the midfield seemed to have an immediate effect. Polo also played all of his matches post Round 7, so that had an influence.

We started winning more contested footy, primarily because of these two guys, as Nicky Dal was winning plenty already. Clinton Jones also got better as the season went on.

It would have been very nice to have Arryn Siposs, Jamie Cripps and Tom Ledger available later in the season, but we didn't. They will play an important role in 2012.

That is if they don't leave along will absolutely every last f**ker at the club.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The Draw helped

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The Draw helped
That was early in the year so I dont see how that helped. A better do an emoticon for this.

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

Re: Introduction of youth turned our season around

mohannair wrote:We are giving lot of credit for Rossy to turn our season around this year. We were 1 & 8 and then our season turned around.

People think that Ross did something to change this group around but for me it was the intorduction of young players that changed the mind set. They did bring a different atmposhere along with them & that lifted the sprit of the entire team.

Ross was forced to make changes & in rounds 9-11 had the right balance of experience and youth.

Cripps, Ledger, Simpkin, Lynch, Siposs all added a bit of spark and helped turn the season around.

Unfortunately Siposs, Cripps and Ledger all got injured and that gave the older guys another crack & they capitalised on that.

Unlucky for guys like Johnson, Walsh, Lynch and Simpkin who had to play out most of the remaining season at Zebras.
Forever the optimist mohair. :roll:

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Now your not making sense....

We still beat no one above us after we had a 'turn around' until an unmotivated carlton in r24......so ineffect, our draw weakened after midway....which most can see...

So the Draw helped.....the footy draw, fixture, program

Or were you making a joke???

Whats up plugger, the quality of your posting has fallen away.....are you still recovering from the fact the club dropped the ball again, or the fact that the great ross turned his back on the group for greener pastures....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ross thought we were gone after round 8, so he brought the kids in.

Before too long the Bombers and Freo started falling over. Suddenly Ross realised there was a spot up for grabs. Exit the kids.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Now your not making sense....

We still beat no one above us after we had a 'turn around' until an unmotivated carlton in r24......so ineffect, our draw weakened after midway....which most can see...

So the Draw helped.....the footy draw, fixture, program

Or were you making a joke???

Whats up plugger, the quality of your posting has fallen away.....are you still recovering from the fact the club dropped the ball again, or the fact that the great ross turned his back on the group for greener pastures....
My posting has fallen away. Coming from you I take that as a compliment. Also thought the mention of emoticon might suggest I knew what you were talking about. And the great Ross, who the hell is he? RL was a great coach for us but he has gone. I moved on one second after he left. Pity for us you didnt do the same.

And you are dead right about the draw. We played 5 top 8 sides in the first half and 5 in the second half of the year. Actually that makes you wrong. Sorry I apologise for saying you were right.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Ross thought we were gone after round 8, so he brought the kids in.

Before too long the Bombers and Freo started falling over. Suddenly Ross realised there was a spot up for grabs. Exit the kids.
Have heard a lot worse theories than this one Bernard........... careful though it will cause a few to take pot shots at you :wink: :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Ross thought we were gone after round 8, so he brought the kids in.

Another who doesnt let the facts get in the way of a good story. Cripps and Smith played in round 4 and 5 respectively. Siposs round 6 and Ledger in round 9. Siposs was injured as was Cripps and Ladger. Not sure how they can play when injured. Smith was dropped because of form so that isnt right what you said. Lynch and Simpkin played later so that goes against the Bombers and Freo crap. All sounds good and if repeated enough may become fact.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Now your not making sense....

I'm pretty sure the Eagles were above us

Furtius Quo Rdelious
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

mohannair wrote:We are giving lot of credit for Rossy to turn our season around this year. We were 1 & 8 and then our season turned around.

archer, stanley, cripps, sippos, smith and johnson all played in the early part of the season

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We were never 1 and 8. After round 8 we had 1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses. That by my maths made us 1 and 5 in the vernacular.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Another who doesnt let the facts get in the way of a good story. Cripps and Smith played in round 4 and 5 respectively. Siposs round 6 and Ledger in round 9. Siposs was injured as was Cripps and Ladger. Not sure how they can play when injured. Smith was dropped because of form so that isnt right what you said. Lynch and Simpkin played later so that goes against the Bombers and Freo crap. All sounds good and if repeated enough may become fact.
Let's just check your facts smarty pants.

Round 4 was our bye, therefore nobody played.
Alistair Smith played rounds 3, 5 and 6. Stanley also played rounds 3 and 5.
Cripps played rounds 6 to 9.
Siposs played rounds 7 to 11.
Ledger and Simpkin debuted in round 11 and also played in round 12.
Winmar played rounds 9 and 10.

All these kids were basically the sub and/or subbed off in those games.

After our second bye in round 14 the only player you could vaguely call a kid was Tom Lynch who played rounds 15, 16, 19 and 22.

Ross went for the usual strong hard bodies when he thought he could have another crack. It's all he knows, that's why he went to Freo and not Melbourne.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree Bernard, but not that he was having another crack, just that he was trying to keep up his market value.

I am being a hyprocrite in a way, because I didn't question it at the time, but why didn't Lynch, Walsh, Simpkin, Smith etc get some games if it was 'transition'

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The perfect scenario is when you have young guys chasing spots, keeps every one going harder.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The perfect scenario is when you have young guys chasing spots, keeps every one going harder.
Agree wholeheartedly.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I agree Bernard, but not that he was having another crack, just that he was trying to keep up his market value.

I am being a hyprocrite in a way, because I didn't question it at the time, but why didn't Lynch, Walsh, Simpkin, Smith etc get some games if it was 'transition'
Possibly.

He also went to Freo not Melbourne due to the money offered, and perhaps better sharemarket tips out west :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

After our second bye in round 14 the only player you could vaguely call a kid was Tom Lynch who played rounds 15, 16, 19 and 22.

Ross went for the usual strong hard bodies when he thought he could have another crack. It's all he knows, that's why he went to Freo and not Melbourne.
Thanks for going to all that trouble. Mine was guess work. At least by going to all that trouble you have proved the previous stsement as complete rubbish. You said he played the young kids after round 8 and the didnt play any once Essendon and Freo struggled. Well it looks like he played Smith Stanley cripps and Siposs before then and Lynch after Freo and the dons were struggling. Ledger, Simpkin and Winmar are in your time frame. Ledger was then injured, Winmar didnt play well enough to keep his spot and didnt play well enough in the reserves to get it back. Simpkin could have got another game later in the year. As for Cripps, Siposs and Stanley they were injured for most of the year and Smith was given chances and was actually dropped before you said he decided to play the young kids. So from the guys he played it only seems Simpkim helps your theory, the others all had reasons why they couldnt get a game. Yep he wanted hard bodies because there was bugger all left.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks for going to all that trouble. Mine was guess work. At least by going to all that trouble you have proved the previous stsement as complete rubbish. You said he played the young kids after round 8 and the didnt play any once Essendon and Freo struggled. Well it looks like he played Smith Stanley cripps and Siposs before then and Lynch after Freo and the dons were struggling. Ledger, Simpkin and Winmar are in your time frame. Ledger was then injured, Winmar didnt play well enough to keep his spot and didnt play well enough in the reserves to get it back. Simpkin could have got another game later in the year. As for Cripps, Siposs and Stanley they were injured for most of the year and Smith was given chances and was actually dropped before you said he decided to play the young kids. So from the guys he played it only seems Simpkim helps your theory, the others all had reasons why they couldnt get a game. Yep he wanted hard bodies because there was bugger all left.
The fact is his game plan only works with hard mature bodies and he has no plan B.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The fact is his game plan only works with hard mature bodies and he has no plan B.
Why didnt you say that instead of what you said then. And the reason I think we play this game plan is obvious to me. RL knew we lacked skill and this game plan doesnt punish badly skilled players as much. We cant get rid of all our unskilled players so if we try another completely different game plan next year we will get killed on the rebound. We need to think defensive first because of our lack of skill. So to those next year wanting a completely different game plan expect some very bad losses and easy goal to the opposition.