No Eade please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

No Eade please

The club is seeking talks with Eade, but please can we look at someone else..the guy hasn't got it.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

You think? I don't know if he has or hasn't but he got a team with no facilities and hardly 3 footballs to kick to each other to 2 or 3 prelims. Maybe he does know what he is on about.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

fingers wrote:You think? I don't know if he has or hasn't but he got a team with no facilities and hardly 3 footballs to kick to each other to 2 or 3 prelims. Maybe he does know what he is on about.
Agree - Never quite had the cattle at his other two clubs - compare his preliminary finals teams to ours - he did well to get them that far.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They made three consecutive prelims which means that they had a good list.

They have had better training facilities than us for the last 3 or 4 years too.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Attention Saints selection committee-

Not one St Kilda wants or is interested in Rodney Eade as a coach.

So please think about this if you are considering Mr Eade and exclude him asap

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'd be making sure any potential coach is good with money and has his own home. If you can't manage the purse strings on the domestic front what chance have you got at even managing a crew of 40 odd footballers.

Like I keep saying as long as the guy they get is dirt cheap and is good with twitter and Apple Mac technology then they will be right for the next 5-10 years while we tank for our next flag prospect.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Eade, Laidley,... or Wallace even would be awesome, and wouldn't make me want to throw up at all.

saintlee
Club Player

Eade is the probably the only experienced coach on the market that I wouldn't mind. I always rated him. Having said that, I'd probably prefer an up and coming assistant, but Eade is definately worth interviewing.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:Attention Saints selection committee-

Not one St Kilda wants or is interested in Rodney Eade as a coach.

So please think about this if you are considering Mr Eade and exclude him asap
From The Saints Selection Committee:

Thanks for your input. Glad someone is on the ball because we have no idea. Could you come and run the process for us?

Cheers. See you soon.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Eade is the probably the only experienced coach on the market that I wouldn't mind. I always rated him. Having said that, I'd probably prefer an up and coming assistant, but Eade is definately worth interviewing.
Eade has runs on the board and has a history of turning clubs around quickly. Took Sydney to a Grand Final in his first year and took the Bulldogs up the ladder to a couple of prelims.

The fact that Brad Johnson is on the panel will certainly be in his favour.

Not the worst choice in the world. Assisted by Gary Ayres could be a pretty good coaching group with young blokes around them. They would have fire in the belly as senior coaches having been close before.

Shoot, I'm talking myself into this!!! 8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I have never been in favour of Eade, because, I think that a younger coach will relate better to younger players and be "a development coach."
However
with the recent major Club dramas and obvious internal conflict (is there anyone left?) that has been occuring, I wonder whther the role may suit a more senior, experienced coach, who has "been there, done that" in Clubs before.

Certainly, his experience and ability to coach at the highest level has been demonstrated before - something the younger coaching assistants don't have. Whether he is a long term coaching proposition is also a concern.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I can't stand watching him launch into players, strongly feel this is how he motivates, and last year we saw what happens when it doesn't work anymore.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I can't stand watching him launch into players, strongly feel this is how he motivates, and last year we saw what happens when it doesn't work anymore.
That is relevant. Hence why he gets quick results but eventually burns out and loses the players.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I have consistently said, we could perhaps do better than Eade - Malthouse certainly, one of the current assistant coaches possibly - but we could also do a hell of a lot worse.

As others have said, he has the runs on the board. He developed the prototype of the style of football that Roos used to great success at the Swans and that Lyon further refined at the Saints.

Then he went to the Bulldogs and developed a far more direct, hard running and attacking style that clearly influenced the way a number of clubs have subsequently played (eg, Geelong).

If he came to us, I reckon he would very well placed to evolve "Saints Footy" into a more attacking style. I can't really think of anyone who could do this better.

I know some on here are obsessed with what they call the "press" and claim that Eade can't manage it. Well, I would suggest to them that they go back and look at the tapes of the 2009 PF (a game in which I continue to believe - despite the endless jeers I got on here for suggesting it - that Eade comprehensively outcoached Lyon). What Eade did there was a sort of "uber-press".

I have found the anti-Eade stuff on here over the past week extremely hard to fathom. Is it that he looks grumpy in the coaches box on TV and sometimes yells at players? Have any of you any idea what Lyon was like to players or assistant coaches who he felt stuffed up.?

I am told by fellow Tasmanian residents who know Eade well that, despite his public image as a mega-grump, he is really a rather caring sort of a bloke.

Anyway, I hope it is true that we are talking to him: even if I am the only person on here who thinks that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
SainterK wrote:I can't stand watching him launch into players, strongly feel this is how he motivates, and last year we saw what happens when it doesn't work anymore.
That is relevant. Hence why he gets quick results but eventually burns out and loses the players.
As I said in my earlier post, I think this view of Eade is a bit exaggerated.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A further thought: if Eade is truly a bastard to his players, then we have one of his former players on the panel so that should surely help resolve the issue one way or the other.

- Jonathan Swift
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
And I reckon someone such as Eade would have no choice but to coach for the now anyway.

After Lyon, I don't think that's what we need or want.

ThePunter
Club Player

He's an excuse maker. All he does at press conferences after losing is list excuses.

No thanks.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Not convinced his club saw him as the nuturing type MB.

The reality is we have a massive chunk of kids, not much in between, and a group of senior players that could probably self coach.

As Doc says, need to find someone who is capable of 2013 and beyond, I don't think it's Rodney.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
meher baba wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Not convinced his club saw him as the nuturing type MB.

The reality is we have a massive chunk of kids, not much in between, and a group of senior players that could probably self coach.

As Doc says, need to find someone who is capable of 2013 and beyond, I don't think it's Rodney.
OK, then, but - assuming it isn't Malthouse - then, in my view, it will have to be one of the current assistant coaches. Appointing one of them is always going to be something of a lucky dip.

I don't mind going into the lucky dip, but let's not pretend it's anything else really.

- Jonathan Swift
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He has been consistently underrated. i think the fact he always had Sydney and the Dogs up and about shows he had something. He showed his class in playing kids last year despite pressure to hold his job. he left the Dogs ahead for next year. He left Sydney with a strong enough list and did the hard work. Perception is everything in footy and impatient boards are often the cause of the perception. If Carlton sacked Ratten now his perception is of being just off the pace but a new coach comes in and takes over his list and is labeled a brilliant coach. Eade probably isn't my favourite candidate but he's capable.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:As I have consistently said, we could perhaps do better than Eade - Malthouse certainly, one of the current assistant coaches possibly - but we could also do a hell of a lot worse.

As others have said, he has the runs on the board. He developed the prototype of the style of football that Roos used to great success at the Swans and that Lyon further refined at the Saints.

Then he went to the Bulldogs and developed a far more direct, hard running and attacking style that clearly influenced the way a number of clubs have subsequently played (eg, Geelong).

If he came to us, I reckon he would very well placed to evolve "Saints Footy" into a more attacking style. I can't really think of anyone who could do this better.

I know some on here are obsessed with what they call the "press" and claim that Eade can't manage it. Well, I would suggest to them that they go back and look at the tapes of the 2009 PF (a game in which I continue to believe - despite the endless jeers I got on here for suggesting it - that Eade comprehensively outcoached Lyon). What Eade did there was a sort of "uber-press".

I have found the anti-Eade stuff on here over the past week extremely hard to fathom. Is it that he looks grumpy in the coaches box on TV and sometimes yells at players? Have any of you any idea what Lyon was like to players or assistant coaches who he felt stuffed up.?

I am told by fellow Tasmanian residents who know Eade well that, despite his public image as a mega-grump, he is really a rather caring sort of a bloke.

Anyway, I hope it is true that we are talking to him: even if I am the only person on here who thinks that.
Yep. Lyon was massivley out coached by an uber press and the dogs had an uber loss.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Eade is capable, but he has been around a long time and got close but never close enough in the time he has had as a senior AFL coach.

nw7
Club Player

Rodney Eade is a very good coach, I think we should be talking to him and wouldn't be fased if we chose him. He did a great job with the Dogs, they have done nearly as well as the Saints over the last 4 years, Eade took over the dogs the same year Wallace and Clarkson took over the Tigers and Hawks and built the Dogs into a very good team who made the top 4 for the last few years. Eade and Clarkson were successful in building a team and we know Eade is good at keeping a good team up for long periods. The best rookie coach seems to be Scott Watters, Dermie gave him a huge wrap on SEN this morning.

ThomasR
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:He's an excuse maker. All he does at press conferences after losing is list excuses.
Spot on - I'm glad someone else has picked up on this - never heard any coach make as many excuses as he does. A mentality that might get you close to a GF but it won't win you one. Worse options out there but I don't think he's the best.