Zac-Pelchen ?? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I would rate Zac Dawson in the top 6 full backs in the league. He has his bad days but that is the nature of his role. He isn't Scarlet or glass but he is our best option in a difficult position. Hawthorn would have loved to get him back I would think.
I would rate him in the top 17 fullbacks in the league

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would rate Zac Dawson in the top 6 full backs in the league. He has his bad days but that is the nature of his role. He isn't Scarlet or glass but he is our best option in a difficult position. Hawthorn would have loved to get him back I would think.
What you are really saying is that there are only five full backs in the league.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:I think that Zac is a highly underrated player. Just who would you suggest replace him in the back line?
My 16 year old nephew.

lefty
Club Player

degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:His skills are terrible, every time he has to kick the ball you hope the kick will hit.
Massive disposal efficiency...are you sure you're talking about the right guy?

Yes im sure, I've seen it, bit of pressure and hes gone.
The only kicks he is ok at are the little short 25m ones.

Everytime he gets it, you cringe.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:His skills are terrible, every time he has to kick the ball you hope the kick will hit.
Massive disposal efficiency...are you sure you're talking about the right guy?

Yes im sure, I've seen it, bit of pressure and hes gone.
The only kicks he is ok at are the little short 25m ones.

Everytime he gets it, you cringe.
Everytime he gets it YOU cringe, the rest of us are probably fine...except Bernardo...but he's senile.

lefty
Club Player

degruch wrote: Everytime he gets it YOU cringe, the rest of us are probably fine...except Bernardo...but he's senile.
Yea, ok please.

The sun doesn't shine through my rear. There are far better FB's in the league than Dawson who can kick.

When its a 1 on 1, he gets demolished. He's just lucky Fisher and Blake and the boys in the backline help him out.

Cloke farkn destroyed him this year, short memories I guess... meh.

Another one that cant kick (but can play) is Gilbert but he gives the team some run/dash which generates play.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
degruch wrote: Everytime he gets it YOU cringe, the rest of us are probably fine...except Bernardo...but he's senile.
Yea, ok please.

The sun doesn't shine through my rear. There are far better FB's in the league than Dawson who can kick.

Another one that cant kick (but can play) is Gilbert.
You can put the boot into Gilbert's, Gram's and (sometimes) Fisher's disposal under pressure, but Zac is fine. The difference between Zac and the others generally, he has ONE role, he's a stopper...he's the last line of defence. So, when he does make a mistake, you notice...luckily he doesn't make them too often.

savatage
SS Life Member

Some players only go for "safe" kicks - so their disposal can be 100%. Those that take risks have a much lower efficiency rate - but could be higher skilled, this arguement proves nothing.

On the point of retaining or trading Zac....or most players on the list - honestly, that's what a list manager is paid to work out...if they can negotiate a great deal for Zac, then why not look at it?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:
Yea, ok please.

You can put the boot into Gilbert's, Gram's and (sometimes) Fisher's disposal under pressure, but Zac is fine. The difference between Zac and the others generally, he has ONE role, he's a stopper...he's the last line of defence. So, when he does make a mistake, you notice...luckily he doesn't make them too often.
Amazing how much you miss watching games in Adelaide. If you actually watched the occasional game in person you'd see how bad Zac can be one on one, rather than just watching him kick in from full back.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:
Yea, ok please.

Amazing how much you miss watching games in Adelaide. If you actually watched the occasional game in person you'd see how bad Zac can be one on one, rather than just watching him kick in from full back.
You have no idea, and you'll never have any idea. You're like the bozo's that sat behind me last game I attended, and rubbished Zac whilst he did a brilliant job...don't like his haircut, or whatever, anything to have a shot. Give up and stick with the VFL.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to do a poll, I reckon the Zac haters are all 50+ :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'd love to do a poll, I reckon the Zac haters are all 50+ :wink:
The guys sitting behind me at the ground we 20-something...I just thought they were young and stupid, not having lived through watching Maxy develop, or know what a fullback does. 'Young' doesn't seem to have much to do with it.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saint6 wrote:I think that Zac is a highly underrated player. Just who would you suggest replace him in the back line?
kosi, a wilow tree, girl scout selling cookies ....... guy has never been the same since 09.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:
Yea, ok please.

You have no idea, and you'll never have any idea. You're like the bozo's that sat behind me last game I attended, and rubbished Zac whilst he did a brilliant job...don't like his haircut, or whatever, anything to have a shot. Give up and stick with the VFL.
You're the one who has no idea. I never criticise Saints players during a game. When was this so called brilliant game by Zac? Was it in this decade?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'd love to do a poll, I reckon the Zac haters are all 50+ :wink:
Don't you get to talk to many young supporters? wink

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
lefty wrote:
Yea, ok please.

You're the one who has no idea. I never criticise Saints players during a game. When was this so called brilliant game by Zac? Was it in this decade?
You wait until after, and come on here to compare them with your 16 year old nephew? Bravo, that's very noble of you.

Zac has literally saved games for us this year, sure he's not perfect 100% of the time, but you'd rather we use Fisher as a stopper and our defensive counter attacks come from out of our arse?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Yeah, just seems the 'older' supporters like the big bulky full backs of old.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I like Zac, but if we were to get a good offer would let him go in a heartbeat!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
What like Bob Murray? He was and still is as skinny as a rake.

kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Good player and don't want to lose him.
+ 1. 196 cm defenders dont grow on trees.

you know zac was in the AFL top 5 for 1%ers.

So cant believe people still criticise this bloke. wed be farked without him.

but agree he has one weakness - he needs to hit the gym and get stronger and a bit more bulk in him. but that is something that he can work on.

keep him - get him in the gym and we will get 5 years and another 100 games out of him.

Well I for one would be glad to see him go. Yes he needs to build up his body to be competitive. Yes he's a tall but doesnt play like a tall. He doesnt get his fist to the ball enough in marking contests. He generally gets plenty of help from midfield players flooding back in support and this negates potential scoreboard pressure. No other team gets so much help flooding back, so his task should be easier than most other backmen.

He does some good desperation things at times but offsets this with falling over, losing his footing and aloowing his opponent to dish off to others who can score.

He can kick well but often looks to too relaxed when free and kicks poorly to space with loopy kicks that allows the opposition to close down the run out of defence. Doesnt do enough of the tall player work needed in my opinion so would not be a loss overall. However, as some said, earlier we do need a replacement (as we cant play without a full back).

If hes kept I would use him as another leading forward but I would rather see a replacement.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
What like Bob Murray? He was and still is as skinny as a rake.
Arrrrr, but he was as tough as leather, chewed nails for breakfast and could spit in the eye of a fly from 40 cubits away, by gum. Not like these namby pamby slipper wearin' lady-boys that play down back these days...ccccchhhhhht, p-ting!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't break the lines often enough or get the clearance often enough if there's a stoppage in the last line. He handballs to people that are stationary and only a metre away from him, instead of looking up for other options. He doesn't contribute enough by hand or by foot.

When Lyon played him forward he seemed to be a better forward option for us than a permanent fullback, but it made me think if he was going to be a forward he really shouldn't be in our best 22 if that's the case. it was just a temporary fix to our deficient forward line and lack of planning and lack of attacking strategies.

Having SOS at the club gave us confidence that he was being mentored by the fb of the century. I don't think he has taken the next step. If he commits to Pelchen and the club that he will improve his fitness and his upperbody strength at the same time then he is an asset. If he doesn't have enough brains to work it out then he is a liability.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Hilarious.

Zac should be a very required player unless we are going to replace him with Bernard Shakey.

Bahahahaha.

You clown sheep todgers etc etc really have no clue.

Get a clue.

Can someone tell me any stats on how many goals Zac actually had kicked on him this year and how he went with pressure acts in the backline?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Any other coach in the comp would have thrown zac fwd on more occassions depending on match ups and injuries etc. but lyon, being the worlds most conservative coach could just never quite stomach it. Was a bit radical for poor old ross.

ando051
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Would be very disappointed if we lost Zac.

He is a very good stopper.
Agree with that comment, the only problem with Zac is that's all he does Stop. He needs to get more strings in his bow like the current good fullbacks, Scarlett, Tarrant, Gibson. These players also stop but they also use the ball and take on the game. It might of been the way Ross wanted him to play his game. Time will tell.