Goddard trade talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

widereceiver
Club Player

I hope he hangs in with us.

Unfortunately, all the players are pieces of meat, no matter what we think of them. It was a meat market before the AFL stole our game. It's more blatant now.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Schillaci
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
Schillaci wrote:Should do everything to keep him. As much as possible anyway. If he goes and we get nothing for him...so be it.
if he walks he clears 700k from our salary cap which we can use to get another player from free agency.....

Personally I would rather trust him, and expect the best from him.

Don't forget its too late for him to go into the vets list in any other club, a big advantage for us.

agree 100 Schillaci, treat him well, instead of like a piece of meat.
All completely logical and valid. BJ has shown loyalty. He shows passion for the Saints and I'd like to see him finish his career with us...he's done countless interviews indicating that in the past. Let's hope that is still the case.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Well said, Dan.
bobmurray wrote:Whatever happens................happens...i think greed will win out
Gosh, are you this pessimistic in real life?

Cheer up, mate :idea:
WTF has real life got to do with Goddard's future......it'll pan out without any influence from us and we'll all get on here and comment.....is that real enough for ya...... :shock:
Goddard's future is all virtual reality.
It is until HE decides what HE wants to do and then lets everyone else know...so that they can comment on here...in their own style of course.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Goddard Magic
Club Player

Geez, nobody wants to see him go but, as we learned last week, we need to be prepared for anything.

We need to consider whether if he goes at the end of '12, whether we would be worse off than an arranged transfer at the end of '11. Also, if he stays, will our season be disrupted next year by constant speculation a la Geelong in 2009 and Melbourne in 2010.

Preferably, we resolve issues with him and his management in the near future and they can agree on an extension but what if our finances don't permit this?

Goddard Magic
Club Player

Geez, nobody wants to see him go but, as we learned last week, we need to be prepared for anything.

We need to consider whether if he goes at the end of '12, whether we would be worse off than an arranged transfer at the end of '11. Also, if he stays, will our season be disrupted next year by constant speculation a la Geelong in 2009 and Melbourne in 2010.

Preferably, we resolve issues with him and his management in the near future and they can agree on an extension but what if our finances don't permit this?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard trade talk

Dan Warna wrote:Makes me feel sick and disappointed in folks.

you folks demand loyalty from coaches and players and yet talk dismissively of a player who is a club champion and one of the top players in the competition as trade bait.

Goddard SHOULD play out his career and be venerated as a club legend, not be treated as a piece of meat.

If he chooses to go, we will be compensated under the rules and get a deal similar to ablett or scully.

If he chooses to stay he has 5 plus years of footy and will be around for our next crack.

What is to say the juniors we select will be loyal? what is to say they will be any good? of the quality players in the top 20, more than 1/2 fail to play more than 50 games through being overrated, injured, not maturing, not putting in the effort, or getting better offers. Even if they pan out, what is to stop them going into the PSD at age 21/22 and us getting nothing?

HERE we have a superstar of the game, and you folks want to gamble on a potential who is highly unlikely to be anywere nearly as good as goddard.

Some of you people make me sick.

Yes I was wrong to have faith in Lyon, however I think with Goddard I'd rather have faith in him as a person and a saint than treat him as a potential traitor or a piece of meat.

the club will be wrong to treat a player of Goddard calibre, maturity and leadership as such.

Cheers

Dan.
+1...never once advocated for one of our boys to be tradedand can't understand the mentality or loyalty of those that do...my two bobs worth.....anyone who doesn't like my views can go f*** themselves....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintnick12
Club Player

I certainly hope he stays and definately think we should not be trading him.
We should be looking to lock him in long term though with his age, it will still be a few years before we can get him on the vets list. Maybe a longterm back ended contract ?
I agree the events of the past few weeks put doubts in our minds as to where loyalty sits in the game but I truely believe he wants to stay and will stay. If he starts saying he won't discuss it till the end of next year, then we'll know he's going as nearly everyone who says that (who's any good) has already agreed to go elsewhere.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:I certainly hope he stays and definately think we should not be trading him.
We should be looking to lock him in long term though with his age, it will still be a few years before we can get him on the vets list. Maybe a longterm back ended contract ?
I agree the events of the past few weeks put doubts in our minds as to where loyalty sits in the game but I truely believe he wants to stay and will stay. If he starts saying he won't discuss it till the end of next year, then we'll know he's going as nearly everyone who says that (who's any good) has already agreed to go elsewhere.
We could rebound next year like the Cats.

However we may slip down like Port.

We don't know who our coach will be or what our list will look like.

Any player who waits a bit is not necessarily looking to leave - probably just being sensible.

saintnick12
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:I certainly hope he stays and definately think we should not be trading him.
We could rebound next year like the Cats.

However we may slip down like Port.

We don't know who our coach will be or what our list will look like.

Any player who waits a bit is not necessarily looking to leave - probably just being sensible.

True, it just seems thats the way it has been happening (the likes of Ablett, Ward, Scully ) etc, saying they want to put it off till the end of the year....it's almost code for I'm going these days. I've got no issue if he wants to see how the land lies before committing, but if he comes out early to mid next year saying he wants to leave it to the end of the season, you can almost guarantee he's gone. We should do everything (within reason) we can to keep him.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Stinger
I wish I could but I can't

Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard trade talk

stinger wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:Makes me feel sick and disappointed in folks.

you folks demand loyalty from coaches and players and yet talk dismissively of a player who is a club champion and one of the top players in the competition as trade bait.

Goddard SHOULD play out his career and be venerated as a club legend, not be treated as a piece of meat.

If he chooses to go, we will be compensated under the rules and get a deal similar to ablett or scully.

If he chooses to stay he has 5 plus years of footy and will be around for our next crack.

What is to say the juniors we select will be loyal? what is to say they will be any good? of the quality players in the top 20, more than 1/2 fail to play more than 50 games through being overrated, injured, not maturing, not putting in the effort, or getting better offers. Even if they pan out, what is to stop them going into the PSD at age 21/22 and us getting nothing?

HERE we have a superstar of the game, and you folks want to gamble on a potential who is highly unlikely to be anywere nearly as good as goddard.

Some of you people make me sick.

Yes I was wrong to have faith in Lyon, however I think with Goddard I'd rather have faith in him as a person and a saint than treat him as a potential traitor or a piece of meat.

the club will be wrong to treat a player of Goddard calibre, maturity and leadership as such.

Cheers

Dan.
+1...never once advocated for one of our boys to be tradedand can't understand the mentality or loyalty of those that do...my two bobs worth.....anyone who doesn't like my views can go f*** themselves....
I bet tugger doesn't like your views....... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Amen Dan...

Superstar.....why not move heaven and earth to keep him, at least we know he's worth and what we've got....bird in the hand

sweedy

I'm with you Dan. The club should do everything it can to sign BJ to a new long term contract. I'm sure it will all depend on who the new coach is but surely BJ must be a part of our plans going forward.

avid
Club Player

I'm with Dan too -- makes me sick to think of Gods going.
"Compensation" doesn't make the world right again.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Everyone agrees with you Dan, its obvious we don't want to lose BJ. But you gotta get off your high horse champ. You've got all high and mighty in the last thread about BJ too.

No Saints supporter in here wants to get rid of BJ, but there are a few people who would entertain the thought of trading him this year if it was certain that he will leave the year after.

Its not a question of loyalty or anything like that, we all want BJ to be a one club player, but if he leaves at the end of 2012, I wont be at all impressed at the blind faith we had in him to stay.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
jays
Club Player

we need bj

saintbob
SS Life Member

If BJ goes, and I hope like hell he doesn't, we might as well put Roo on the market and start all over again!!! IMO

DK27
Club Player

I hope Goddard stays but..... If he wants to go and a good deal is on the table then trade him. If GWS want him and he wants to go, I would be wrapped to get O'Meara and a top 6 pick as someone mentioned earlier. Much better to trade him than wait for free agency where we have no control over the compensation.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gee o'meara must be good

16yo and considering him as compensation for a champion.....hard enough to pick whether an 18yo will deliver

DK27
Club Player

O'Meara...In the All Australian side as a bottom aged kid and one of the best going around at that level. A lot of good judges rate very highly. I mentioned O'Meara AND a top pick this year would be pretty fair.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ryley Dunn was in the all australian side as a bottom age kid

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ryley Dunn was in the all australian side as a bottom age kid

Megamaguire
Club Player

Bj is Non-Negotiable!

Speculate about players that cannot actually 'win' games for St.Kilda or that can not be trusted to stand up wek in week out.
Brendan G. is way too important to our general field play and passing and setting up ability to consider off-loading.

With Goddard and Hayes (fit) and a few other vital contributors this team can still make top 4 in 2011.

That is still a hell of a lot to look forward to in 2011!

With a new coach and structure maybe Goddard is simply an irreplacacble link in the chain.

We need to replace the determination and presence of Jason Blake. Luckily we have an ever improving Gwilt to work with sensational Sam Fischer BUT... we need an up and coming visionary Backman- like dare i say it young Reid from Collingwood or is it Sydney.

GO BJ!!!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i dont think we can still make top four this year mate 8-)

Thesaint35

Make him Skipper