STOP with the picking up discarded hacks threads!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

STOP with the picking up discarded hacks threads!!!

No more discarded hacks!!

Sick of wasting picks on other teams discards be it with pick 17 or 117

Lets add more youth to our young brigade from last years draft - we have enough experience in the team already

I couldn't give a rats asrse that this years draft might be shallow ... just no more has-beens .... has-beens from top clubs and especially has-beens from bottom 9 clubs .... no friggin more

These shite discarded has-beens have been discarded for a very good reason

Lets go with youth and give our supporters something to get excited about

I thank you in advance for adhering to my thread title!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

While the club has certainly gone overboard in recent years with recycling players, the whole idea shouldn't be thrown out. Rodan, Guerra, Buchanon, Simon Buckley, Danny Stanley, Aaron Edwards and even our own Zac Dawson have all been discarded and picked up again to play some decent footy. Dempster was pretty much given away for free by Sydney. I also suspect Giles will be a handy number one ruckman for GWS next year. I think the important things to keep in mind when looking at these players are:

What have they achieved and what opportunities have they been given?

What is their potential, and why haven't they reached it/why were they discarded?

What could they add to the team if they do achieve their potential?

In the case of guys like Rodan (great skills, highly damaging but never settled in the team) then he's absolutely worth a late draft pick. Jesse Smith was also worth a shot, but the medicos just couldn't get his body right. It's stupid picks like Gamble, Pattison and Begley that we need to avoid; sound character, plenty of opportunities and always falling short at AFL level. That's not going to change at a new club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn choose their hacks well and have added Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson to a good line up. Every one of those players stood up last week and I would have all of them at the Saints. The ideal situation is to cherry pick the gems and still add to the youth with your top picks. I believe we got Pelchen because he has a great record balancing the two. Sydney have done well from rejects too, McGlynn, Kennedy and Mumford are all guns.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Never say never...we've benefitted more from external recruits than suffered over the last decade, and very few have actually been 'discards' (i.e. delisted)...Polo (good pickup), C Gardiner, Pattison, Smith (was looking good until injury again), Dawson (good pickup), Dempster (good pickup) spring to mind.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

gringo wrote:Hawthorn choose their hacks well and have added Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson to a good line up. Every one of those players stood up last week and I would have all of them at the Saints. The ideal situation is to cherry pick the gems and still add to the youth with your top picks. I believe we got Pelchen because he has a great record balancing the two. Sydney have done well from rejects too, McGlynn, Kennedy and Mumford are all guns.
Hale, Burgoyne and Gibson weren't discarded. They were all dealt to the Dawks in deals.

I agree with the OP, no more to the likes of Gamble, Polo, Pattison, Gardiner, Begley etc.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Difference between discarded and traded for

Dempster was traded for pick #26 in the 07 draft....he was no discard...

ThePunter
Club Player

Schneider and Dempster were both salary cap casualties.

Recycled is the most subjective term in footy.

King and C Gardiner would have been delisted, and were picked up with a pick that was never going to be used. But as they were traded for...

What about Jason Gram? Gone from Brisbane because they didn't have space in their team for him. Took him four years to come good.

I agree we should focus on youth, but any 18yo drafted in the National Draft gets a two year deal, unlike those players re-drafted who have already been in the system. The likes of Begley and Jesse Smith were delisted after one year, costing the club nothing.

Better to get the youth onto the rookie list where the risk is not as great to the club, as they can be delisted after one year.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Difference between discarded and traded for

Not according to him, he was part of a collective trade in which the main attraction was Schneider. Agree that a lot of the players quoted on here are not discards.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:

Not according to him, he was part of a collective trade in which the main attraction was Schneider. Agree that a lot of the players quoted on here are not discards.
I like to think we paid Pick 26 for Dempster and Schneider was the steak knives in the deal :wink: :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
degruch wrote:

I like to think we paid Pick 26 for Dempster and Schneider was the steak knives in the deal :wink: :wink:
And we paid Pick 90 for King.

Charlie Gardiner was the plastic picnic knife thrown in :P

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is extremely overrated in this thread. Goes ok in a purely defensive role, but you should all be prepared for the possibility that a new coach quite possibly won't want to have anything to with him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
degruch
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Dempster is extremely overrated in this thread. Goes ok in a purely defensive role, but you should all be prepared for the possibility that a new coach quite possibly won't want to have anything to with him.
You're saying he's not steak knives? Overrated in this thread? Talk about a pre-emptive strike! :roll:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:Dempster is extremely overrated in this thread. Goes ok in a purely defensive role, but you should all be prepared for the possibility that a new coach quite possibly won't want to have anything to with him.
You're saying he's not steak knives? Overrated in this thread? Talk about a pre-emptive strike! :roll:
He was steak knives for sure. Is serviceable, but - like CJ, Eddy and McQualter - is first and foremost a role player under the Lyon game plan.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
degruch
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
degruch wrote:
He was steak knives for sure. Is serviceable, but - like CJ, Eddy and McQualter - is first and foremost a role player under the Lyon game plan.
Eddy and Mini aren't really in the same league as CJ and Dempster. If we delisted CJ or Dempster today, they'd be in a new team tomorrow. I don't think even GWS will pick up the other two.