Regarding the locked post - Rumour: Nicky Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

Regarding the locked post - Rumour: Nicky Dal

Ok, now I'm not saying this rumour is true. Far from it, it's probably false. But lets just say for arguements sake it is true and Pelchen has decided that a full rebuild is required.

Lets say Dal Santo was traded. You would expect to get 2 top 10 draft picks for him!!!!???

Then you would also trade Goddard to GWS, another 2 top 10 draft picks.

That would be a pretty good start to rebuilding I would have thought.

Discuss...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

One star is enough to lose in one year thank you.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don’t recall Pelchen doing this sort of thing at Hawthorn.

His method seems to centre around getting good trades for blokes with a profile but who were not going to get better or improve the side (Thompson, Hay, Williams etc).

Why would he come into our club and immediately start looking at trading the Brownlow runner up and likely Best and Fairest winner?

Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

shmic_s
Club Player

Dal is a smart player and a fantastic user of the ball.
He is one we want to play out his career at the Saints.
Will be able to go back or forward later in his career and play important roles for the team. See him playing well into his 30's.

noob
Club Player

hopefully a 300 club player

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I think I am going to go and hang myself now......... The last time I had a real favorite player was Plugger and we all know what happened there...
I can bare to think about losing Dal Santo to another club.

I am hoping this is a load of crap.
Last edited by Dal_Santos_Gal on Tue 27 Sep 2011 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
howlinwolf
Club Player

There will be a HUGE thread here late on Saturday afternoon discussing
all the likely Pie trades after their loss.
Stay tuned for that !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure why someone posted something that they had heard constitutes having a thread locked.

At worst it provokes some forum debate.

I'd rather a rumor being posted than have to scroll through pages & pages of people abusing each other & highjacking threads.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I would think that the Board would be extremely concerned about the adverse impact on Membership and Sponsorship, that axing our top players would be.

We are not ready for that degree of cutting yet - as we know we have a compromised draft for the next two years.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Any thread that quotes a 'sauce' as the source of the rumour should be locked, period.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Trade Week Rule No. 1 - Don't trade "blue chippers"

If they want to leave, fine, then get the most we possibly can for them. But don't shop them around.

High draft picks do not automatically mean gun players. Why offload a proven gun, for a couple of speculative ones??

If we traded with GWS for a 17 year old pick, and snare O'meara, who says he isn't going to play out his first 2-year deal and then want to go back to WA, out of contract??

Footy clubs are built around club champions, stars that knock back better offers from elsewhere, to play for the club they call home. It is one great difference Aussie rules has over Football and League, player-to-club loyalty. It is a shame the AFL are happy to see this dissipate with enlarged salary caps, draft concessions, and free agency.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I love Dal and BJ as much as anyone, but think about 4 top ten draft picks!

Tempting!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
PaytonPlace
Club Player

degruch wrote:Any thread that quotes a 'sauce' as the source of the rumour should be locked, period.
Maybe we're picking up Big Sauce Merrett from Brisbane?

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
End Of An Era
Club Player

I think the question we all need to ask is will Dal and Goddard still be around to play in St Kilda's next premiership? If the answer is yes, then they should not be traded. If the answer is no, then trading them should be at least looked at.

I believe that if we could get 2 top 10 draft picks for Dal and the same for Goddard, we should take it. Dal will be 28 years old when next season starts. Goddard will be 27 just after next season starts.

By the time St Kilda rebuilds and is ready to challenge again, these 2 players (champions) may have already retired.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

St Chris wrote:Trade Week Rule No. 1 - Don't trade "blue chippers"

If they want to leave, fine, then get the most we possibly can for them. But don't shop them around.

High draft picks do not automatically mean gun players. Why offload a proven gun, for a couple of speculative ones??

If we traded with GWS for a 17 year old pick, and snare O'meara, who says he isn't going to play out his first 2-year deal and then want to go back to WA, out of contract??

Footy clubs are built around club champions, stars that knock back better offers from elsewhere, to play for the club they call home. It is one great difference Aussie rules has over Football and League, player-to-club loyalty. It is a shame the AFL are happy to see this dissipate with enlarged salary caps, draft concessions, and free agency.
This.

Plenty of also-rans we can offload for picks/trade.

Never offer your blue-chips.

Destroys the team spirit.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:

This.

Like I mentioned above, this whole rumour seems to stem from Pelchen's appointment.

But can anyone show me an example of where he traded a gun Hawk who was at the top of his game?

Rosco
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:I think the question we all need to ask is will Dal and Goddard still be around to play in St Kilda's next premiership? If the answer is yes, then they should not be traded. If the answer is no, then trading them should be at least looked at.

I believe that if we could get 2 top 10 draft picks for Dal and the same for Goddard, we should take it. Dal will be 28 years old when next season starts. Goddard will be 27 just after next season starts.

By the time St Kilda rebuilds and is ready to challenge again, these 2 players (champions) may have already retired.
this is what you argue when you don't believe in club loyalty. it makes logical sense but ruins the sense of "club" and makes it feel like an nba "franchise". yeah, footy is a business but the rank and file don't feel that way yet, and it will be sad day when they do. lots of people have BHP shares but i don't think they have many barrackers. also, could make it more likely that others will jump ship for a better offer.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

This.

Like I mentioned above, this whole rumour seems to stem from Pelchen's appointment.

But can anyone show me an example of where he traded a gun Hawk who was at the top of his game?
Can't remember a 'top of his game' player getting traded, but he certainly had a clean out of older players.

Mark Graham
Peter Everitt
Nathan Thompson
Jon Hay
Jade Rawlings
Angelo Lekkas
Shane Crawford (nearly went)
Nick Holland

The above list were on their way out, not top of their game. But he has a history of being aggressive with a list.

And for someone coming in with his aggressive reputation, you'd want to make a bold move to enhance that reputation wouldn't you?