"That bounce" may NOT have won us a flag.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

"That bounce" may NOT have won us a flag.

Everyone assumes had Milne put us 5 points up with a goal deep in the last the flag would've been ours.

There was a minute 30 left on the clock FFS!

The Pies had plenty of time to win a quick clearance and goal to win by a point.

Sorry, I can't buy definitively into that bounce cost us the flag talk.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

With 36 players in their forward line, I would have liked our chances of hanging on for a minute & and half...

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

yes granted 90 seconds is long enough, but I think the collingwood players would have been shot to pieces mentally if that ball had been a goal.

Who's to say the ball wouldn't have gone back to center and we did the quick clearance and kicked the sealer.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we'll never know :idea:

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I have many non saints supporters saying "that bounce cost you" so its just not a saints supporter thing

Before Im 85
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Geelongs posted goal isn't controversial because we lost by more than a goal but one of the scores was an untouched kick after the siren that was left to trickle through. We will never know how that goal effected the game, but if the next score was ours we may have sailed away with the game. Who knows but it is s*** that in 3 years they have stuffed up goals in GFs.

older saint
SS Life Member

Forget the bounce if Fisher widens his vision Kosi is 30 metres clear on the wing. We are up by 5 points at that stage.insead Maxwell marks and the rest is history.

IFs butts and Maybe's

goodie
Club Player

If you want to play Sliding Doors moments, biggest this year would be Jason Blake's miskick round 1. We hold possession, we win the game, how differently would the season have gone?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:I reckon we'll never know :idea:
:lol:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

It wouldn't be just the goal that would win it, it would be the effects of the goal. Our players would receive a huge adrenalin boost and belief, and Collingwood's would be one of heads down and defeatism for quite a few of their players.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: "That bounce" may NOT have won us a flag.

saintspremiers wrote:Everyone assumes had Milne put us 5 points up with a goal deep in the last the flag would've been ours.

There was a minute 30 left on the clock FFS!

The Pies had plenty of time to win a quick clearance and goal to win by a point.

Sorry, I can't buy definitively into that bounce cost us the flag talk.
Yes spoil sport, time left but given that the filth only kicked 9 goals for the game and only 2 goals in the second half also a very good chance that they wouldn't have scored.

Given the way Lenny and BJ were playing I reckon it would have been hard for them to win stoppages to get the clearance. We would have also massivley flooded and Roo would have probably gone back for the last 90 seconds.

The filth sooked when Pendelbury's disallowed goal against Geelong earlier in the year was said to have cost them the game and there was well over 2 min to go!

Topic not worthy of a thread IMO and if you want to believe that the bounce didn't cost us a flag "you are a fair dinkum wanker. Go support Richmond"...(your words to me when I said I was happy our season was finished).

But I agree that there was time left to kick another goal so we could have won by 7 points.

:lol: :lol: :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bozza1980
Club Player

We will never know but on exposed evidence (ie the fact they didn't score after the behind) it is a fair assumption to say we would have held on.

Not that it's worth much, last I checked Collingwood are, and will remain, 2010 Premiers.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The next one we win, I would like it to be by six goals at least. At least that way I can actually enjoy the win, not pray that we can hold on. FWIW I still think back to those bittersweet minutes after BJ's goal with an odd mixture of nostalgia and regret. The moments I thought that I would see us win a Flag at long last.
We'll get there, but I want to enjoy it when we do. 80 points up at 3/4 time would be perfect - if unrealistic.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

There was plenty of other reasons that lost us either flag. Poor shots on goal, wasted opportunity. It's all history now, both won by the Pies and the Cats. It's time we made our own and stepped up to the plate in 2012.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dunno about that damn bounce...

There were a few tackles we missed in the second though.

A whole heap in the first quarter....they could have made the difference.

One tiny moment doesn't win you the game. It is the sum of all...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:The next one we win, I would like it to be by six goals at least. At least that way I can actually enjoy the win, not pray that we can hold on. FWIW I still think back to those bittersweet minutes after BJ's goal with an odd mixture of nostalgia and regret. The moments I thought that I would see us win a Flag at long last.
We'll get there, but I want to enjoy it when we do. 80 points up at 3/4 time would be perfect - if unrealistic.

i turned to my wife and said we might get to see us hold up the cup. I went numb for a few seconds not knowing what the f%$# to think then it all fell away. That was a devastating day.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

may not have won it for us....but 99.9% probably would have

Bring back the Lockett era
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:It wouldn't be just the goal that would win it, it would be the effects of the goal. Our players would receive a huge adrenalin boost and belief, and Collingwood's would be one of heads down and defeatism for quite a few of their players.
Five points down, 90 seconds to play in a GF and you reckon a team would just fold?????

Hardly...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
sainterinsydney
Club Player

I think there is no point asking "what ifs?" All it does is make it more painful. It is time to forget the past and look to the future. There are a million moments in a GF that could have changed the outcome.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

goodie wrote:If you want to play Sliding Doors moments, biggest this year would be Jason Blake's miskick round 1. We hold possession, we win the game, how differently would the season have gone?
Agreed!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.