Let's bust two myths right now...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Meh, it's a cruel game... and that's what you get for investing deep emotion in outcomes you have zero control over.

We lost, it's history... and it just means the greatest flag celebration of all time is still yet to come!
Amen to that!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's bust two myths right now...

philtee wrote:First, Arizona. PFFFFT! If the altitude training there is that good, how come it was the Pies that ran out of legs
in the last qtr of the GF, while the Cats remained frisky despite barely leaving sea level.

Second...the Cats being labelled "the greatest team of all" for winning three flags in five years. PFFFT! That '09 flag
was won by Tom Hawkins' goal that wasn't...he's admitted it. But the fairytale of prolonged Cat success has seduced
too many footy journos in the last few days...they're much happier priniting the legend.

I disagree strongly with both.

ThePunter
Club Player

I just hope the players aren't stewing on that point the way some supporters are. A number of St Kilda players missed goals they should have kicked, and the game could have been over a 3/4 time.

The only premiership that matters now is the next one.

And for that, everyone is now 0-0.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

stanthecaddy wrote:
matrix wrote:there must be some kind of elite training facility there as well to travel half way around the globe instead of heading to NZ
Correct. It's not just altitude, they go to a university that features Olympic-caliber (in both size and quality) training facilities at altitude. This makes it worth the investment to take players overseas.
Bugger. Are you sure about that? Because in my presentation for the coaching job I was going to install these things at Seaford so we could train at altitude twice a week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
stanthecaddy wrote:
matrix wrote:there must be some kind of elite training facility there as well to travel half way around the globe instead of heading to NZ
Correct. It's not just altitude, they go to a university that features Olympic-caliber (in both size and quality) training facilities at altitude. This makes it worth the investment to take players overseas.
Bugger. Are you sure about that? Because in my presentation for the coaching job I was going to install these things at Seaford so we could train at altitude twice a week.

:lol:

At least that would make the travel more bearable, if not enjoyable :wink:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:I just hope the players aren't stewing on that point the way some supporters are. A number of St Kilda players missed goals they should have kicked, and the game could have been over a 3/4 time.

Dude, the players actually have some control over what happens - the supporters don't.

Stewing over things is all supporters have! 'Getting on with it' doesn't help anything, except your own mental health.

If supporters instantly stopped worrying or talking about things beyond their control, the AFL would be dead within a fortnight.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
ThePunter wrote:I just hope the players aren't stewing on that point the way some supporters are. A number of St Kilda players missed goals they should have kicked, and the game could have been over a 3/4 time.

Dude, the players actually have some control over what happens - the supporters don't.

Stewing over things is all supporters have! 'Getting on with it' doesn't help anything, except your own mental health.

If supporters instantly stopped worrying or talking about things beyond their control, the AFL would be dead within a fortnight.
is that such a bad thing? It would be worth it just to wipe the smug off that boys club led by fat Andrew and that smug arse Gil..and might vteach them a lesson to stop stuffing up the peoples game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

People forget the free goal we got just before the halftime siren. Against Milburn for abusive language or some crap after we had just kicked a goal.

As for Geelong ironically their best year IMO was 2008, and they lost the GF to the Hawks

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:People forget the free goal we got just before the halftime siren. Against Milburn for abusive language or some crap after we had just kicked a goal.

As for Geelong ironically their best year IMO was 2008, and they lost the GF to the Hawks
It was a legit goal Joffa. Milburn called the goal umpire a cheat and you can't do that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:People forget the free goal we got just before the halftime siren. Against Milburn for abusive language or some crap after we had just kicked a goal.

It was a legit goal Joffa. Milburn called the goal umpire a cheat and you can't do that.
by the letter of the law, sure. i can't remember specifics but at the time the first goal seemed dubious enough, so sneaking two in thirty seconds was massively lucky. the poster down the other end counter-balanced it nicely.

bozza1980
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

by the letter of the law, sure. i can't remember specifics but at the time the first goal seemed dubious enough, so sneaking two in thirty seconds was massively lucky. the poster down the other end counter-balanced it nicely.
The ironic thing about Milburn calling the umpire a cheat was the fact that he was disputing a decision that was clearly correct. Milburn claimed to touch the ball after missing it by the length of the Flemington straight and had the gall to call the umpire a cheat afterwards.

At the end of the day had we won by a goal, this would be the controversy remembered not the poster.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Before the 2010 season I watched a replay of the game up until half way through the second quarter. I had to stop watching when it was apparent we should have been up by 5 goals plus. If we kicked those goals I have no doubut that Geelong would have still hit back but that we would have hung on to win by a goal or two.

swarta
Club Player

philtee wrote:Second...the Cats being labelled "the greatest team of all" for winning three flags in five years. PFFFT!
they said greatest team of all as i pun on their song "we are geelong the greatest team of all"

and name one team over the past 5 years that are better

sent from my iphone.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:the point goal means nothing
we lost by two goals
crap....last goal doesn't count afaic...no one on the mark and the ball dribbed through with no one bothered to do anything about it.....they won by a point imhfo....and they were lucky to do that....sneider was almost packed raped in front of goal .....free kick to any other player in the league.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:First, Arizona. PFFFFT! If the altitude training there is that good, how come it was the Pies that ran out of legs
in the last qtr of the GF, while the Cats remained frisky despite barely leaving sea level.

Second...the Cats being labelled "the greatest team of all" for winning three flags in five years. PFFFT! That '09 flag
was won by Tom Hawkins' goal that wasn't...he's admitted it. But the fairytale of prolonged Cat success has seduced
too many footy journos in the last few days...they're much happier priniting the legend.
the cats are pretty darn good.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we lost by twelve points stinger

not 6

who knows what would have happened if we were kicking in for a point and not the ball back in the centre square.

its all over now
we should have kicked the donuts that were missed basically imo

bring on 2012

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

we lost by two goals
The whole thread and caste of mind is completely and totally laterally challenged!

FACT is for starters

Hawkins goal is rewarded incorrectly

instead of another kick in ball goes back to centre where Geelong kick another goal within the next 10 seconds further impacting on the initial mistake

BUT the reality is if the behind had of been awarded correctly

a whole completely different Grand Final is played from that moment on!

a whole completely different set of circumstances are manifested

We might have won by three goals we might have lost by five although I doubt it

Fact is unless we have a time machine that transports everyone back to that moment where the goal umpire made the mistake and start the game again with another St kilda kick in instead of a centre square ball up no one wlll ever know what would have happened next?

Had Goddard already had his collarbone broken by this stage of the game?

If not then he in all probability would not have had it broken because that exact same incident would not have occurred!

Is this really too hard for people to grasp? :shock:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

A bit liket he butterfly effect ey?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:A bit liket he butterfly effect ey?
No it's this little thing called reality!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
we lost by two goals
The whole thread and caste of mind is completely and totally laterally challenged!

FACT is for starters

Hawkins goal is rewarded incorrectly

instead of another kick in ball goes back to centre where Geelong kick another goal within the next 10 seconds further impacting on the initial mistake

BUT the reality is if the behind had of been awarded correctly

a whole completely different Grand Final is played from that moment on!

a whole completely different set of circumstances are manifested

We might have won by three goals we might have lost by five although I doubt it

Fact is unless we have a time machine that transports everyone back to that moment where the goal umpire made the mistake and start the game again with another St kilda kick in instead of a centre square ball up no one wlll ever know what would have happened next?

Had Goddard already had his collarbone broken by this stage of the game?

If not then he in all probability would not have had it broken because that exact same incident would not have occurred!

Is this really too hard for people to grasp? :shock:
No. I think that's exactly what I posted on page 1 :)

Imagine us agreeing on something barks :shock:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: And people have to understand that if the correct decision had been made, everything that happened after the goal was awarded would have been different. The ball would have been kicked out rather than taken back to the centre and bounced. Every passage of play would have been different to what we witnessed on that day.

THIS!

saintkellerm
Club Player

Another one is that it does not matter if you are the best team all season - it just matters on the day - Geelong 2008, St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2011.

I am hoping our new coach will be able to manage this to have some young fellas being blooded next year with our good players mixed in. One thing good about new kids coming in, the opposition don't know much about them and hopefully a few of them will have blinders and we unearth some good ones. I am looking forward to seeing Cripps, from what I saw last year, he looks exciting and smart.

Go Saints...2012 its our time!

markp
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Fact is unless we have a time machine that transports everyone back to that moment where the goal umpire made the mistake and start the game again with another St kilda kick in instead of a centre square ball up no one wlll ever know what would have happened next?
I'm working on it... and I like our chances much better from there with those two goals not being scored.

Another interesting thought is would we have even made the GF the following year if we'd won then??

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
we lost by two goals
Correct.

Hawkins shot was in the 2nd quarter. The only real time it can make a difference is when scores are tight at the end of a game.

And people have to understand that if the correct decision had been made, everything that happened after the goal was awarded would have been different. The ball would have been kicked out rather than taken back to the centre and bounced. Every passage of play would have been different to what we witnessed on that day. Even if the end result had've been Geelong by 4 points you can't simply deduct 5 points from their score. The Saints may have won but similarly Geelong may have won by an even bigger margin.
Agree. That was a crucial time in the game...we just felt the wind going out of our sails after that.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintkellerm wrote:Another one is that it does not matter if you are the best team all season - it just matters on the day - Geelong 2008, St Kilda 2009 and Collingwood 2011.

I am hoping our new coach will be able to manage this to have some young fellas being blooded next year with our good players mixed in. One thing good about new kids coming in, the opposition don't know much about them and hopefully a few of them will have blinders and we unearth some good ones. I am looking forward to seeing Cripps, from what I saw last year, he looks exciting and smart.

Go Saints...2012 its our time!
Totally agree, the best team all year doesn't get it in the bag. That's why it is always worth playing yourself deep into finals, the team that kicks the highest score wins on any day.