Coach interviews to be held on Thursday and Friday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

My preferences for the @stkildafc interviews.
1. Ken Hinkley
2. Scott Watters
3. Gavin Brown
4. Alan Richardson
5. Robert Harvey
6. Gary Aryes

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Hinkley wont do it. His wife wont let him.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:My preferences for the @stkildafc interviews.
1. Ken Hinkley
2. Scott Watters
3. Gavin Brown
4. Alan Richardson
5. Robert Harvey
6. Gary Aryes
You said Hinkley is out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Gerard Wheatley on 3AW has said we are interviewing Robert Harvey, Alan Richardson, Gary Ayres, Gavin Brown, Ken Hinkley and Scott Watters.
going by history then ..

John Longmire will be played by Watters ,Chris Bond will be played by Hinkley ,Guy McKenna will be played by Richardson ,Matt Rendell will be Harvey Gary Ayres will still be Garry Ayres and Ross Lyon will be played by Gavin Brown ...

welcome to the club Gavin Brown :wink: :wink: :wink:
Not this time IMO. A very conservative board so Watters is a certainty.
i think your right Plugger .. Watters ticks a lot of the boxes of what we are looking for in a coach

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Gerard Wheatley on 3AW has said we are interviewing Robert Harvey, Alan Richardson, Gary Ayres, Gavin Brown, Ken Hinkley and Scott Watters.
going by history then ..

John Longmire will be played by Watters ,Chris Bond will be played by Hinkley ,Guy McKenna will be played by Richardson ,Matt Rendell will be Harvey Gary Ayres will still be Garry Ayres and Ross Lyon will be played by Gavin Brown ...

i think your right Plugger .. Watters ticks a lot of the boxes of what we are looking for in a coach
Or so we think...

I think it will be Richardson

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Any decent coach who wants to sincerely coach us deserves the job IMO.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Who or what is Gerard Wheatley of 3AW?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Gavin Brown? Well there's a darkhorse.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

My interested in who the senior assistant (if there is to be one) would be. It was suggested this morning in the Herald Sun by Jon Ralph that we were concentrating on bringing in an experienced assistant: "The Saints seem to be concentrating on elite assistant coaches rather than finding an experienced replacement for Ross Lyon, who walked out to join Fremantle."

It would certainly be an important role for us IMO - whilst to an extent it feels like a lot of the off-field stuff has been overblown and unwarranted, it still seems somewhat clear that we should appoint a coach/assistant coach with experience and leadership, capable of improving our off-field image. Obviously too, if we are keen on pressing for that illusive flag in 2012 - and from all signs and innuendo, this is what the board believes we can do - then the experience and tuition they will bring to a young coach is also valuable.

The question is, who is actually left to hire?

Those who have already signed at other clubs include Dean Bailey, Rodney Eade, Bomber Thompson and Neil Craig. Mark Williams also appears off limits and personally, I can't see Laidley being a great 'leader,' which is the trait we would more be in the market for - to me he comes under the 'tactician' umbrella.

So, to me this leaves three names.

Paul Roos

Mick Malthouse

Mark Harvey

Going by recent events, I can't see Harvey being ready to go again in 2012. By all reports he is ready for the year off.

Mick is an interesting one - it has become as clear as day that he will not coach again. Or at least not in 2012. But does that rule out being an assistant coach? Perhaps. But not categorically. But honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the media next year, so the rumours are saying.

Paul Roos. I doubt there would be anyone on this board who would not be happy if Roosie graced our club. Has there been a better off-field leader in the past couple of decades than Roos? The culture established at the Swans was second to none and he even managed to coach his club to a flag - something none of those other Senior assistants (bar Thompson) have managed to do. Currently (IIRC), he is working at the AIS, developing youth. Could he maybe we willing to come to St.Kilda, he wouldnt really be breaking any massive contracts. We would have to pay him well, but IMO he would be worth it ten-fold.

If not Roos, then who? Surely the board would recognise the need for such a role in our journey forward. Part of this to me is just hoping... I would love to see Roos in the RW&B. But part of me feels like this could legitimately happen - make the right moves, say the right things. Write the correct amount of zeros on his cheque and he may just come...

8-)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Gerard Healey & Bruce Eva were discussing the St Kilda coaching job on 3AW. Healey named the six candidates and Bruce put them in order;

1. Ken Hinkley

2. Scott Watters

3. Alan Richardson

4. Gavin Brown

5. Robert Harvey

6. Gary Ayres

Like the rest of us, they are guessing, only they may or may not have a bit more info than us!!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

It's almost never the favorite that gets the job..... So who's the favorite ?
:lol:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:It's almost never the favorite that gets the job..... So who's the favorite ?
:lol:
According to Gerard Healey; HINKLEY !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
going by history then ..

+1

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Have said Watters from day one and believe he will get the gig :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Harvey - experience?....no
Ayres - um. no.
Hinkley - why cant this guy get a job previously hes so good???
Richardson - have heard little
Brown - been quiet for some time....was he in for any of the other jobs?
Watters - would be my pick and comes with several wraps from those on the inside working with him.

“Yeah….nah””
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

My preferences still the same as day one....

Watters, Richardson, Harvey

Hold your ground :shock:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

i like conan. cool haircut and nickname.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Spinner wrote:My preferences for the @stkildafc interviews.
1. Ken Hinkley
2. Scott Watters
3. Gavin Brown
4. Alan Richardson
5. Robert Harvey
6. Gary Aryes
You said Hinkley is out.

Said it was unconfirmed.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i heard liz and shane were both getting the gig
shane obviously as head coach and liz as assistant

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

And according to this article Hinkley is foremost in some minds....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 1l7en.html

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

That article raises more questions as to why Hinkley cant get a top job than it answers.....it sounds almost "last chance" for Hinkley and Im stumped as to why???? unlike Lyon this guy has had a crack at a few and missed out continually - why?

Watters IMHO sounds impressive the assessment backs what others have constantly said:

"It is Watters' first big shot at a senior coaching job but on the surface, his record is excellent. Although Collingwood could not finish the task in 2011 the Magpies were ranked No. 1 in defence under his tutelage. He is highly regarded for his grasp of the strategic aspects of the game"

Watters is young, smart and from a good system with the best defence in the league under his control.....I reckon thats a fair wrap.

“Yeah….nah””
B_O_N_D_Y

I think we will get Watters as coach and Roos as senior assistant..

Apparently Roos has been spotted at the club so its not inconceivable...

I think Roos would be great for the club to sort out the players and stop all the crap going on.. We all know he can coach and also discipline players.. He also brings premiership experience.. Something we don't have a lot of.

Watters will implement a new gameplan that will complement our defensive mindset but also allow us to be alot more attacking..

I believe we have two years to go all out for a flag, after that a rebuild will be on the cards unless we can find a way to rebuild on the fly like Sydney have..

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How do you know that teflon???

Just going on brereton.....an old surfie mate, malthouse, his boss trying to get him a gig, hudghton his partner this year....

They might know.....but we dont....

We have NO idea of his tactical nouse......one thing he should of done last saturday
Asked davis and o'brien to at least get within cooee of their opponents....and switched tarrant onto hawkins before it cost them the game...

Thats right....he's an assistant...no responsibility falls at his feet

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B_O_N_D_Y wrote:I think we will get Watters as coach and Roos as senior assistant..

Apparently Roos has been spotted at the club so its not inconceivable...

I think Roos would be great for the club to sort out the players and stop all the crap going on.. We all know he can coach and also discipline players.. He also brings premiership experience.. Something we don't have a lot of.

Watters will implement a new gameplan that will complement our defensive mindset but also allow us to be alot more attacking..

I believe we have two years to go all out for a flag, after that a rebuild will be on the cards unless we can find a way to rebuild on the fly like Sydney have..
Doubt that Roos will ever be at St Kilda.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Have said Watters from day one and believe he will get the gig :wink:
Is this your guess?

Why do you believe that?

Another opportunity awaits!