Now that the AFL has given us more funding.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

Now that the AFL has given us more funding.....

.....they have us by the balls. Even though the Saints have stated they want to play their home games at the MCG, we have no hope of this eventuating now.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that the AFL has given us more funding.....

End Of An Era wrote:.....they have us by the balls. Even though the Saints have stated they want to play their home games at the MCG, we have no hope of this eventuating now.
The Saints don't want home games at the G we want to get out of paying back the AFLs mortgage while we play at the Docklands. It is blatantly unfair to expect that some clubs are severely disadvantaged by their stadium deals. We can't have a situation where no one wants to tenant the stadium because it restricts their earning potential. The AFL should just come out and say that they will fund the short fall to any club that has been restricted by their stadium deal. It is a joke that it hasn't been fixed already, they blame the players CBA so they don't have to fix it.

End Of An Era
Club Player

Nettlefold has said straight out that the Saints want to play all their home games at the MCG.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:Nettlefold has said straight out that the Saints want to play all their home games at the MCG.
It's called a bluff, he doesn't want the move he wants the money. We actually have cemented ourselves at the dome and the AFL wont lose another tenant to the G. What we want is to get the same money that we would get from the G but stay put.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

End Of An Era wrote:Nettlefold has said straight out that the Saints want to play all their home games at the MCG.
Based purely on financial reasons though.

In every interview he has done regarding the topic, he has mentioned how great the facilities are at Etihad, how the players love going there, how our supporters love it as our home base etc.

Now the financials have been evened up, I'd expect the club to be happy to play there.

ThePunter
Club Player

It's a negotiating tactic.

We have the best advantage at Etihad.

End Of An Era
Club Player

St Chris wrote:
Based purely on financial reasons though.

In every interview he has done regarding the topic, he has mentioned how great the facilities are at Etihad, how the players love going there, how our supporters love it as our home base etc.

Now the financials have been evened up, I'd expect the club to be happy to play there.
Well they shouldn't be happy playing at the Dome...........

Proposed Blueprint

Move all our home games against Victorian teams to the MCG. Apart from the fact that we are playing on concrete and injuring our players at ETIHAD Stadium, (all players have said it takes longer to recover after playing there), my main reason for this is that FINALS and especially GRAND FINALS are played at the ‘G. We need our players to have as much exposure to the ground as possible. The fact that we have played only 1 or 2 games there each Home and Away season over the last few years is totally ridiculous. By all means, play the non-Victorian teams at Docklands but the rest of our home games must be played at the home of football. The ideal breakup of our “Homeâ€

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Now that the AFL has given us more funding.....

End Of An Era wrote:.....they have us by the balls. Even though the Saints have stated they want to play their home games at the MCG, we have no hope of this eventuating now.
Had no hope before that, and proposing to play in three different states comeon, wtf hasn't this guy been banned yet it's nexus/helen say bye bye and we get a week of peace until they start a new nick then ban em again.

End Of An Era
Club Player

Actually, now that we have received the extra funds from the AFL we probably don't need to sell 3 home games interstate. That being the case, all home games against Vic clubs to be played at the MCG and all games against interstaters at Etihad stadium. I'd be happy with that.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:Actually, now that we have received the extra funds from the AFL we probably don't need to sell 3 home games interstate. That being the case, all home games against Vic clubs to be played at the MCG and all games against interstaters at Etihad stadium. I'd be happy with that.
Actually do some research and find out that that is a impossibility without other clubs giving up their home hames at the MCG, and I can't see them voluntaring to do that.

Saints94
SS Life Member

End Of An Era wrote:Actually, now that we have received the extra funds from the AFL we probably don't need to sell 3 home games interstate. That being the case, all home games against Vic clubs to be played at the MCG and all games against interstaters at Etihad stadium. I'd be happy with that.
+1

End Of An Era
Club Player

Going by the past few seasons, that would probably give us a 6 and 5 split. Six games at the MCG and 5 at Etihad. If you assume that we could possibly play 2 more games at the MCG as the away team then that would give us a total of 8 home and away games at the 'G. A good result me thinks.
Last edited by End Of An Era on Thu 06 Oct 2011 12:12pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joffa 5
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:my main reason for this is that FINALS and especially GRAND FINALS are played at the ‘G. We need our players to have as much exposure to the ground as possible.
Didn't seem to bother Geelong that they play their home games away from the 'G

End Of An Era
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:my main reason for this is that FINALS and especially GRAND FINALS are played at the ‘G. We need our players to have as much exposure to the ground as possible.
They play more games at the MCG than us. Hell, everyone does. And besides, Geelong are one of the best sides ever. Thats why it hasn't bothered them.

So what's your next point?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see
5 home games at Docklands
5 Home Games at th MCG
1 home game at Albury-Wodonga (tongue in cheek).

ThePunter
Club Player

I'd like to see us play 11 home games at Etihad so I can sit in the same seats I've been sitting in for 11 years, behind the same people I've been sitting behind for 11 years, and for us not to play away games against teams like Carlton and Richmond at Etihad, but the MCG.

I'd also like us to make money from playing at Etihad, where we win more than anywhere else, more than anyone else.

Joffa 5
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:
They play more games at the MCG than us. Hell, everyone does. And besides, Geelong are one of the best sides ever. Thats why it hasn't bothered them.

So what's your next point?
Point 1 - Playing more games at the 'G doesn't affect a teams chances to win a flag IMO

Point 2 - Essendon supporters who call themselves Helen and post on opposition forums for attention are sad individuals IMO

Looks like my next point is you're a sad individual :?