Just give Harvs the job!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Just give Harvs the job!!

I don't start many threads.... I'm really not into the 'Look at me' thing.... but I did want to present my opinion at this tim as to why we shouldn't look any further than Harvs for our next coach...

Quite simply....There is no gene for the human spirit....

How many times have you seen Harvs push himself beyond what you thought was possible...

I'd give him the job in a heartbeat....

Ruthless Logic failed to win us a flag....

I'd like to give Passionate Loyalty a chance!

Harvs IS the epitome of Fortius quo Fidelius

Even if he fails, he'd be on par with Lyin's efforts.

If anyone can unite this club it's Banger. You can be guaranteed that he will give his all to succeed.....

How many other canditates can guarantee that?

What were Yabby's credentials when he took us to our one and only Flag?

I'd much rather give the opportunity of leading this group to someone who LOVES the club, than a 'career' coach..........

I'd even get Danny Frawley down there in a mentoring role.

If we have any pride in our club motto.. let Harvs have a crack!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sorry mate, have to "agree to disagree" with you on this one.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Give it to the best available. Hope the selection panel dont think the same as you or we are GAWN

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

What we are talking about here is some qualitative appointment criteria that the other coaches wont have - like belief in the club and passion, and I happen to think this club was founded on passion and it has kept us alive and provided the limited success that we have had.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Yes i reckon give him a go too ... a two year contract would be enough ..
Its not as if any of the other choices are proven afl coaches .......

BakesFan
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Give it to the best available. Hope the selection panel dont think the same as you or we are GAWN
It depends on your criteria as to whom is the best available.

If it's passion for the club and a quiet/humble determination to get the absolute best out of yourself, then Harvs is streets ahead of the competition.

Passion and belief saved this club from extinction through the S.O.S Campaign.......Passion and belief may just get our next flag.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

In this day and age, it's "the best man for the job."

Providing the Club has set the "criteria" of what it is looking for correctly, then the very professional looking Coaching Panel should do its job.

The Football Club is at a point where this is going to be the most important decision it makes for the next 5 years.

Harves is a Saints legend, but unfortunately, blind loyalty and sentiment does not win premierships, or keep us competitive.

If Harves is good enough to win the job on his merits, that would be absolutely fantastic!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:In this day and age, it's "the best man for the job."

Providing the Club has set the "criteria" of what it is looking for correctly, then the very professional looking Coaching Panel should do its job.

The Football Club is at a point where this is going to be the most important decision it makes for the next 5 years.

Harves is a Saints legend, but unfortunately, blind loyalty and sentiment does not win premierships, or keep us competitive.

If Harves is good enough to win the job on his merits, that would be absolutely fantastic!
THIS 8-)

BakesFan
SS Life Member

How do you quantify belief, passion and spirit?

Those are the things that win Flags...and those are things Harvs has in abundance.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

BakesFan said :
Those are the things that win Flags...and those are things Harvs has in abundance.
Agreed, those things "help," but in today's game and dealing with people, it's not enough and it's no longer productive.

Have you ever seen footage of Ted Whitten giving an old fashioned very, very passionate address to his players? That approach simply does not work today - they would laugh at him. It's all about tactics today .... with a small/medium dose of passion. Coaches no longer address the players in any significant way just before they run out for a game. It's all done in the days before, at team meetings.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:BakesFan said :
Agreed, those things "help," but in today's game and dealing with people, it's not enough and it's no longer productive.

Have you ever seen footage of Ted Whitten giving an old fashioned very, very passionate address to his players? That approach simply does not work today - they would laugh at him. It's all about tactics today .... with a small/medium dose of passion. Coaches no longer address the players in any significant way just before they run out for a game. It's all done in the days before, at team meetings.
Reality is you need passion, the ability to motivate and excellent coaching skills.

Let's hope such a person is talking to us at the moment.

Spud02
Club Player

Whatever happens he MUST be at the club in some capacity next year. Not likely it will be as senior coach IMO, but stranger things have happened.

battye
Saintsational Legend

I agree BakesFan, I would like Harvey as coach as well.

Chances are we won't be in the race for a premiership in 2012, but if anyone could motivate the players to give it one last crack and to go beyond themselves for one final shot... I reckon it would be Robert Harvey.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
goyousaints
Club Player

Give him a chance,at least he will do it with with a love of the club and a genuine desire to see the club prosper in the future,not like the recently departed JUDAS ,whom only was interested in his own future

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Sure the club will give him a chance but this decision must be free of sentiment...just too important what happens in the next 2 years with the likes of Riewoldt,Hayes,Dal Santo,Fisher and Goddard..

love the man and he will always be a saints legend but at a delicate time like this a new voice with fresh ideas might be the wiser course of action ..

Would love to see him retained as an assistant if he is unsuccesful :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

all candidates are unproven - i'd be hoping harvey gets the nod.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Munga
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:How do you quantify belief, passion and spirit?

So did GT. You need just about everything to succeed these days...

Passion
Communication
Tactics
Recruiting
Development

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
CJC
Club Player

When Eade left the swans Terry Wallace was his replacement. The fans then rallied and got Roos the job.

No one rated Roos then. We all know how that turned out....

I'm a big fan of Harvey so would be happy if he got the job.
Maybe he could get Plugger back to yell at the players every now and then, I know I'd listen.

Also get plugger to come back and teach the players how to kick for goal.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

in his favor is what just happened with Scott at Geelong... who would have thought it was possible for him to do so well with a list every one was saying was done and dusted.... Personally I never liked Scott! (neither of them)

are we really that far gone? Maybe it will work.....

Personally, i would prefer the best candidate for the job based on their credentials.

What I do know is the team needs to be re tweaked, i hope we can gain a few positives from trade week.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Maklom
Club Player

I know the other candidates have skills and experience but look at Harveys:

- 3 years now as an assistant coach at 2 clubs (1 year as dev coach)
- Worked with an elite midfield at Carlton
- All of his coaching years so far have involved finals
- Worked with (an apparent genius) Ross Lyon all this year when no one else would
- Has immense respect of the playing group, there would not be any problems with focus from the players, they would listen to everything he says

This crap about him not being a good media performer is a furphy. He speaks honestly and doesn't crap on, unlike alot of other coaches. That is a good media performer imo and he can improve on that anyway!

The other (significant) candidates have their skills and experience but none have coached before, just like Harves.
Its a level playing field and I for one hope Harvey is our coach next year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Give it to the best available. And that just may be Harvs.