Pre season experiments

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Are you retiring Dempster?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
saint patrick wrote:How about something really out there..like an attacking game plan :shock:
Now that's REALLY crazy talk.

:shock:
Yeh sorry guys....What the hell was I thinking !!! :roll:
Yeah we should go for Matthew Knights because we all know how great attacking game plans work in the modern AFL.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Knights won same number of premierships as Judas, developed heaps of young players and SEEMS a decent human being!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Knights won same number of premierships as Judas, developed heaps of young players and SEEMS a decent human being!
How many finals did he make?

How many Grand Finals did he take his team to?

What was his winning % compared to Lyon?

Who cares about his being a decent human being? I want a coach who will will football games.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

How many former captains did he gift the filth. how many filthy wife beaters did he recruit, how many fellow coaches did he shaft?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:How many former captains did he gift the filth. how many filthy wife beaters did he recruit, how many fellow coaches did he shaft?

Stop using now. It wrecks your brain.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:How many former captains did he gift the filth. how many filthy wife beaters did he recruit, how many fellow coaches did he shaft?
So that is your answer to Knights attacking game plan and the questions I asked?

I take it from these childish responses is that you haven't a clue.

This is not about Ross Lyon but about all out attacking game plans in the AFL.

If you cant answer the question dont get involved in the thread, you will only embarrass yourself.

Lance or James??

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

And when my brain is wrecked will I become a JUDAS apologoist?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:And when my brain is wrecked will I become a JUDAS apologoist?
It is wrecked now. Are you apologising for him?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:And when my brain is wrecked will I become a JUDAS apologoist?
You sound very confused and unable to comprehend the topic at hand.

You also sound very young.

Lance or James??

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yes a very young confused 52 year old, who started bagging Judas in early 2010 for his negative game plan (would have been overjoyed to be proven wrong, ALAS).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cahill was going so well he hardly looked like he was keen on playing seniors at Sandy now he is a starting forward? I hope he is about to take off because he looks like he should be a player -just has about as much application as Rhys on the rohypnols.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Are you retiring Dempster?
Maybe Ross is taking Dawson, Dempster, Clint, Ray, Peake, and Raph. That leaves about 6 delistings from Freo. I think we should grab some of their creative players that their new coach doesn't rate.

Apparently we should send most of those guys and Gram and Gilbert and pay our first draft pick to them for the service though according to some.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
saint patrick wrote:How about something really out there..like an attacking game plan :shock:

Yeah we should go for Matthew Knights because we all know how great attacking game plans work in the modern AFL.
Suggesting our game plan may have been too defensive Joffa..its a question of degree..nothing overly defence about the Geelong plan this year and its largely based on taking the game on ..a more direct attacking style.

No denying Lyons plan was brilliant in 09 and with a smidge of luck and kicking straight we could easily have snagged the flag..

Reckon in the end the players wouldn't have been human to struggle to implement such a strigent,rigid gameplan..hope the new coach readdresses that balance and the players with flair like Goddard and Dal get a new lease of life

8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:

Suggesting our game plan may have been too defensive Joffa..its a question of degree..nothing overly defence about the Geelong plan this year and its largely based on taking the game on ..a more direct attacking style.

No denying Lyons plan was brilliant in 09 and with a smidge of luck and kicking straight we could easily have snagged the flag..

Reckon in the end the players wouldn't have been human to struggle to implement such a strigent,rigid gameplan..hope the new coach readdresses that balance and the players with flair like Goddard and Dal get a new lease of life

8-)
which ever way we go the way we played would have been tiring and unfulfilling without winning a Premiership. Getting a new coach should invigorate them and let some of the shackles off. No favourites and open spots mean the guys on the outer look for opportunity under a new coach. I'm really looking forward to a new season and already want the NAB to get going. Every one starts a new and will be needing to earn their spots. If we can maintain our pressure on the opposition but try to score more freely it will be a good place to start.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Just spent 3 nights in Bangkok with the wife- now that was an interesting experiment!! Luckily now I am back in the safe hands of the Bali barmaids() sorry matrix )

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

i hope there are no more experiments with 17 year old school girls or posing naked in a hotel room with a bunch of blokes...

To the top
SS Life Member

When you go thru our list I think you will find that there are 13 players (excluding Rookie List players) who have played none or minimal AFL games.

Granted most were drafted with lower Draft picks because of the relative success we have had over recent years - but drafted they were and for particular reasons.

I recall that when Collingwood were knocked off in successive Grand Finals they had about the same or more players on their list as the 13 we currently have who had never tasted AFL football.

They had to find out exactly what they had - and, to his credit, Malthouse did that.

And they found they had some talent.

We are now in the same position as Collingwood were then except we still have a core of premier footballers to provide a stable foundation for these 13 getting their chance/s.

Hopefully we will find that 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or more cut it - and do not look backwards.

They have, after all, had a grounding as 18 year olds and 19 year olds at the Club - so hopefully as 20 year olds or slightly older they can stand up.

In terms of those not included, Schnieder will be 27 with 187 games and occupies a transitory position for the likes of Cripps and Ledger and Sippos (ie support forward), Dempster (28 and 119 games) is unlucky on this year's late season form, Blake will be 31 with 199 games, Peake 28 with 117 games and Milne 32 with 236 games.

Dawson I am afraid I have no confidence in. There is just something missing from his DNA.

These are the guys under the spotlight if, and hopefully, we discover we actually have some gems amongst the 13 who are untried or virtually untried.

Or do we continue to play these guys until they are 35 years of age, have 300 or more games of experience and decide to retire, therefore never finding out what we actually have on our list?

And never win a flag with them in the support (role) positions (they are all "role" players) - because the facts are that we have not.

Got close a couple of times - but no cigars.

A lot is written about Lyon not giving youth a go - but to give them a go someone has to make way.

Happens everywhere!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:When you go thru our list I think you will find that there are 13 players (excluding Rookie List players) who have played none or minimal AFL games.

Granted most were drafted with lower Draft picks because of the relative success we have had over recent years - but drafted they were and for particular reasons.

I recall that when Collingwood were knocked off in successive Grand Finals they had about the same or more players on their list as the 13 we currently have who had never tasted AFL football.

They had to find out exactly what they had - and, to his credit, Malthouse did that.

And they found they had some talent.

We are now in the same position as Collingwood were then except we still have a core of premier footballers to provide a stable foundation for these 13 getting their chance/s.

Hopefully we will find that 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or more cut it - and do not look backwards.

They have, after all, had a grounding as 18 year olds and 19 year olds at the Club - so hopefully as 20 year olds or slightly older they can stand up.

In terms of those not included, Schnieder will be 27 with 187 games and occupies a transitory position for the likes of Cripps and Ledger and Sippos (ie support forward), Dempster (28 and 119 games) is unlucky on this year's late season form, Blake will be 31 with 199 games, Peake 28 with 117 games and Milne 32 with 236 games.

Dawson I am afraid I have no confidence in. There is just something missing from his DNA.

These are the guys under the spotlight if, and hopefully, we discover we actually have some gems amongst the 13 who are untried or virtually untried.

Or do we continue to play these guys until they are 35 years of age, have 300 or more games of experience and decide to retire, therefore never finding out what we actually have on our list?

And never win a flag with them in the support (role) positions (they are all "role" players) - because the facts are that we have not.

Got close a couple of times - but no cigars.

A lot is written about Lyon not giving youth a go - but to give them a go someone has to make way.

Happens everywhere!
The ideal situation is that the new coach comes in and says no favourites every one plays for their spot. The bottom 4 players get a few weeks to hold their spot if they lose that spot they need to demand it through Sandy. Any spots that free up are given to the best performing youngsters. i would include injured players even if it was Rooey. If he can play he can play if he is limited in his out put he should be put in the coaches box and come back when his injuries are over and hopefully play a big finals campaign, geelong managed Ottens that way and Mooney less sucessfully. Byrne and players that would usually play missed spots. we should leave guys like Gram at Sandy (even though i rate him) if the coaches believe his performance doesn't warrant selection. In other words every player must be able to justify their spot regardless of name or past feats.

To the top
SS Life Member

And the game evolves and changes every year - so the past is the past.

The criteria is competing in 2012 such that 2012 delivers for the Club.

And you always have an eye on the future.

Kate
Club Player

I would like to have a look at Dawson up forward.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote:I would like to have a look at Dawson up forward.
As long as he has more up forward than Dal Santo.