Trade Week starts next Monday!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If we trade it must be for picks only.
with the exception of young talent
Yep but to get young talent means you are going to lose a first or second round pick. Isnt that what people are bagging RL for. Anyway the way i see it young must be really young, like under 22 because if they any older they wont help us in the next rebuild.
i dont believe so

ross picked up mature bodied rejects not young talent
Schneider and Dempster werent old. Anyway you are happy to lose a first or second rounder obviously. That isnt what I would do. With inly about 10 trades this year and no coach I cant see us being big players.
i don't remember anyone questioning that particular trade....quite the opposite...and not old, mature bodies.

i'm talking about pattisson, smith, peake, gamble, lovett, king, gardiner (both of them), ray, dawson - not all rejects, however players seeking more opportunity.

picking up a 20 year old kpp prospect is a bit different wouldn't you say?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Yep but to get young talent means you are going to lose a first or second round pick. Isnt that what people are bagging RL for. Anyway the way i see it young must be really young, like under 22 because if they any older they wont help us in the next rebuild.
i dont believe so

Schneider and Dempster werent old. Anyway you are happy to lose a first or second rounder obviously. That isnt what I would do. With inly about 10 trades this year and no coach I cant see us being big players.
i don't remember anyone questioning that particular trade....quite the opposite...and not old, mature bodies.

i'm talking about pattisson, smith, peake, gamble, lovett, king, gardiner (both of them), ray, dawson - not all rejects, however players seeking more opportunity.

If I may.

I think when people talk of young guys they talk of young prospects. So while someone such as Gamble may be relatively young in years, he has been around long enough for people to know what he's about. And the concern of many would be that what was on show at Geelong was about as good as it's going to get.

So yes 21, 22, 23 etc is still young. But everytime a new kid comes into the club we hope he'll turn into a "gun". And the guys like Old Mate refers to never will be.

But if we can bring in a 18, 19, 20, 21 year old who hasn't really been given a shot to date, or has had injury problems, or has shown a fair bit but wants to come home, then maybe he will be the one that really steps up. Maybe.

It's the Yearling Sales vs the Ready To Run Sales. And you'll only pick up a champion at the latter if you're cashed up to the eyeballs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
i dont believe so

If I may.

I think when people talk of young guys they talk of young prospects. So while someone such as Gamble may be relatively young in years, he has been around long enough for people to know what he's about. And the concern of many would be that what was on show at Geelong was about as good as it's going to get.

So yes 21, 22, 23 etc is still young. But everytime a new kid comes into the club we hope he'll turn into a "gun". And the guys like Old Mate refers to never will be.

But if we can bring in a 18, 19, 20, 21 year old who hasn't really been given a shot to date, or has had injury problems, or has shown a fair bit but wants to come home, then maybe he will be the one that really steps up. Maybe.

It's the Yearling Sales vs the Ready To Run Sales. And you'll only pick up a champion at the latter if you're cashed up to the eyeballs.
Like Takeover Target for $1100.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
i dont believe so

If I may.

Yeah - and where is he now? :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
i dont believe so

If I may.

Good point. A bit like Tony Lockett at the swans. He is no good to them now so we won out of that deal.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
i dont believe so

If I may.

Good point. A bit like Tony Lockett at the swans. He is no good to them now so we won out of that deal.
But unfortunately with players we can't hack their knackers off, so your Takeover Target comparison is rather moot 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
i dont believe so

If I may.

But unfortunately with players we can't hack their knackers off, so your Takeover Target comparison is rather moot 8-)
It would have helped Armo and Gibo if we could have. And it looks like someone hacked off half of Dals' dick so it is possible.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Lmao p66

I didnt think u had it in ya

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think the difference in trade week and national drafts is that the players which usually work at new clubs are the players who want to move on, the players who are moved on by their club usually don't work out.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure he played more than that?

Personally I'd be sad if he went, felt like we never got a chance to see what he could do.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6161609284

The Crows are also keen to secure little-used St Kilda forward Tom Lynch, who has played just one game for the Saints in each of the past two seasons after being a first-round selection in the 2008 national draft.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pretty sure he played more than that?

Personally I'd be sad if he went, felt like we never got a chance to see what he could do.

The Crows are also keen to secure little-used St Kilda forward Tom Lynch, who has played just one game for the Saints in each of the past two seasons after being a first-round selection in the 2008 national draft.
Yeah we waited long enough for him, but if they swap for Norman Gunston I could get over him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pick 20 and Lynch for Gunston?

“Yeah….nah””
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Pick 20 and Lynch for Gunston?
Doubt I would give that up that much on 20 Gunston games - Croweaters would need to sweeten that deal somewhat. Give up their 2nd DP or Sellar :P Supposedly NM are the front runners with DP 18.

Not to mention what $ he would want, now that he's in demand.
It's not like he was a high DP: Gunston DP 29 Lynch DP 13

Otherwise would rather persist with Stanley.....

Hold your ground :shock:
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I ask myself why Dawson and Ray have not signed new contracts at this point of time. Have they had better offers from elsewhere I wonder?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I ask myself why Dawson and Ray have not signed new contracts at this point of time. Have they had better offers from elsewhere I wonder?
The club has suggested through a few quotes that Dawson especially is waiting to hear from the new coach about what sort of role and worth he will have to the team moving forward. Perhaps he is worried that he may not get the run of games as he had under Ross, hence why he would walk out to Freo if it didnt work at the Saints.

My worry is that it is unlikely we will have a coach to have this conversation with Zac until after trade week... So what happens if he is given no guarantees (as he shouldn't) and he walks? For nothing? Would be a real shame.

If other clubs are actually chasing Ray and Dawson (as opposed to us just shopping them around), then they are likely to offer above market rate and would be stupid not to listen to overtures.

Whilst Zac is one of only a couple at the Saints capable of playing FB, he is no world-beater and I would be happy to back in Blake/Simpkin to fill his role moving forward. Ray, whilst he has been great for the Saints, is also no 'star' - he plays well and does the team thing, but it's not like we are losing a similar aged star like Dal or Goddard, or some young guns in Steven or Armo. Ray is expendable IMO.

I believe we should target youth from other clubs, rather than going for picks.

Best example is Sydney in 2009 - They picked up Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn and Shane Mumford for picks 39 and 28. Ridiculous. They were all fringe youngsters who lacked games due to the depth of talent in their positions at their previous clubs.

So the clubs looking at maybe picking up Ray and Dawson are Freo and WCE.

So I would be pushing very hard for Koby Stevens from WCE - he is a fantastic ball winner - an in-and-under pro, but also uses the ball well. WCE have too many in-and-under players to keep them all - they are already losing Ebert and I'd say Stevens would be expendable too. And if not him, look at Masten.

Freo have Suban, who has struggled for games. In one of Ross's first interviews he singled Suban out as being a player who has failed to live up to expectations at Fremantle. Knowing Ross, this either means he won't 'trust' him, or it means he wants to turn his career around. Perhaps it is worth sounding them out anyway - Suban has good pace off half-back and uses the ball very well. Had some great form in his first year, but since then has had injury set-backs (mainly impact injuries) which have stalled his development.

Ask the question Saints. Ray and Dawson (and even Peake or 1st pick) for Stevens and Suban would be a huge win in my book. Maybe I'm overvaluing our boys, but I would love to see a trade week played on our terms for once.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed 37

thirty-seven!? wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I ask myself why Dawson and Ray have not signed new contracts at this point of time. Have they had better offers from elsewhere I wonder?
The club has suggested through a few quotes that Dawson especially is waiting to hear from the new coach about what sort of role and worth he will have to the team moving forward. Perhaps he is worried that he may not get the run of games as he had under Ross, hence why he would walk out to Freo if it didnt work at the Saints.

My worry is that it is unlikely we will have a coach to have this conversation with Zac until after trade week... So what happens if he is given no guarantees (as he shouldn't) and he walks? For nothing? Would be a real shame.

If other clubs are actually chasing Ray and Dawson (as opposed to us just shopping them around), then they are likely to offer above market rate and would be stupid not to listen to overtures.

Whilst Zac is one of only a couple at the Saints capable of playing FB, he is no world-beater and I would be happy to back in Blake/Simpkin to fill his role moving forward. Ray, whilst he has been great for the Saints, is also no 'star' - he plays well and does the team thing, but it's not like we are losing a similar aged star like Dal or Goddard, or some young guns in Steven or Armo. Ray is expendable IMO.

I believe we should target youth from other clubs, rather than going for picks.

Best example is Sydney in 2009 - They picked up Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn and Shane Mumford for picks 39 and 28. Ridiculous. They were all fringe youngsters who lacked games due to the depth of talent in their positions at their previous clubs.

So the clubs looking at maybe picking up Ray and Dawson are Freo and WCE.

So I would be pushing very hard for Koby Stevens from WCE - he is a fantastic ball winner - an in-and-under pro, but also uses the ball well. WCE have too many in-and-under players to keep them all - they are already losing Ebert and I'd say Stevens would be expendable too. And if not him, look at Masten.

Freo have Suban, who has struggled for games. In one of Ross's first interviews he singled Suban out as being a player who has failed to live up to expectations at Fremantle. Knowing Ross, this either means he won't 'trust' him, or it means he wants to turn his career around. Perhaps it is worth sounding them out anyway - Suban has good pace off half-back and uses the ball very well. Had some great form in his first year, but since then has had injury set-backs (mainly impact injuries) which have stalled his development.

Ask the question Saints. Ray and Dawson (and even Peake or 1st pick) for Stevens and Suban would be a huge win in my book. Maybe I'm overvaluing our boys, but I would love to see a trade week played on our terms for once.
This is what Sydney have done well for years - they have targetted up and coming young players who have lacked opportunities at the previous clubs.

Targert players like Stevens, Gunstan etc players who have a huge upside!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

agree ^^^

masten will be shopped around. while his skills are quite poor, he certainly finds the footy and he's a goal scoring midfielder. it looks likely that jones will be leaving for freo so i reckon masten would be an ideal replacement in the midfield.

i wouldn't mind getting stevens, gunston and suban as well.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pretty sure he played more than that?

Didn't that Denham bloke write a couple of years back that we were after Jordan McMahon? :twisted:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I hope we keep all our draft picks .. If we do trade do it for more draft picks .. I would love to see us have a selection of second round draft picks to just load up on kids.. We will get some duds but we might uncover the diamond in the rough ... Next year new coach new game plan and each week filter through some new kids the youth will bring in enthusiasm and may well invigorate the likes of Roo ... Let's not pick off other clubs let's just try and make our own future with our own picks

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I hope we keep all our draft picks .. If we do trade do it for more draft picks .. I would love to see us have a selection of second round draft picks to just load up on kids.. We will get some duds but we might uncover the diamond in the rough ... Next year new coach new game plan and each week filter through some new kids the youth will bring in enthusiasm and may well invigorate the likes of Roo ... Let's not pick off other clubs let's just try and make our own future with our own picks
agree...sort of.

i'd like us to keep our first and second picks.

however instead of trading for further second rounders, i would like to see us get young up and comers such as gunston, stevens, suban and masten - if the players rumoured to want a return to the west (clarke, jones, ray and peak) do in fact head home then i would like to see us jag a few of the names mentioned in return.

adel are into lynch - if that involves us getting gunston then we should definitely consider it - and pass on a pick from a trade to them as well.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:I hope we keep all our draft picks .. If we do trade do it for more draft picks .. I would love to see us have a selection of second round draft picks to just load up on kids.. We will get some duds but we might uncover the diamond in the rough ... Next year new coach new game plan and each week filter through some new kids the youth will bring in enthusiasm and may well invigorate the likes of Roo ... Let's not pick off other clubs let's just try and make our own future with our own picks
agree...sort of.

i'd like us to keep our first and second picks.

however instead of trading for further second rounders, i would like to see us get young up and comers such as gunston, stevens, suban and masten - if the players rumoured to want a return to the west (clarke, jones, ray and peak) do in fact head home then i would like to see us jag a few of the names mentioned in return.

adel are into lynch - if that involves us getting gunston then we should definitely consider it - and pass on a pick from a trade to them as well.
Yep!

And as for dealing with Adelaide, the other player rumoured to be on his way out the door is Chris Knights. Had a pretty poor 2011, but is still young and a very good player when played in the right positions. Personally I don't want to lose Lynch though. I don't know why he is heavily criticised - his few games have been good enough for a 5-gamer and he has shown enough signs to make us think he will make it.

I have friends in recruiting and they all believe he needs to be played off half-back. They say he has a tendency to get lost when forced to make his own space up forward, but his strength is his creativity and ball delivery, hence why he would be good off the backline. I tend to agree.

They have also said this draft is good if you want midfielders. If you want rucks or forwards, then you better get them early because there are very few with good form. There are a number of key defenders, but the draft will be filled with mids. I think this is good for us - If we were to name our two key deficiencies it would be up-and-coming mids (esp outside mids) and key defenders. Clubs like Port and Richmond may struggle as they are in the marked for tall players, hence why they will both likely be big player in trade week next week. It could be a good draft for us I think.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:i just put this in another topic:

rumour that we're making a play for jack gunston - who has put hawthorn as his preferred club although adel are not satisfied with their offer - apparently st kilda have put an offer on the table that they are

if true my guess it involves:

offloading stanley who is not contracted and a sa kid
using pick 20
three way deal involving jones + player/pick to eagles > brad ebert to crows > gunston to st k
So am I reading this wrong...your guess is that we lose Jones, Stanley and a first round pick for this Gunston kid?? BLoody well hope not

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

We should be looking at all of Freo's 18-22 year olds.

It's not like they're likely to play seniors next season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:We should be looking at all of Freo's 18-22 year olds.

It's not like they're likely to play seniors next season.
thats a really good point....

“Yeah….nah””
SaintWodonga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:If we trade it must be for picks only. And really unless a player wants to leave why would you trade a regular for a third rounder. Just leave trade period alone.
Agree, we have not this strategy for years, about time we did this again.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM