the great man - harves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Harvs our stoppage coach this season?- and work around stoppages was one of our biggest problems all season. Then again, no one rated Jeans as a coach initially.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I suppose Harvs is representing our club at the Draft Combine this week.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I had the 'Robert Harvey' VHS video years ago. And I think ot was Serra, talking about Harves. And he said that whenever Harves opens his mouth the whole room goes silent and everyone listens.

His public persona may not be the same as his private one. His public persona doesn't strike me as one of a coach, but perhaps he operates differently behind the scenes.

Anyway, I think the Harves coaching thing may have been a bit of a misfire by the club perhaps. Maybe they thought that by putting him in caretaker and floating the idea of him getting the job, that the fans may have rallied ala Essendon and Hird.

But the fans haven't really welcomed the move at all.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I had the 'Robert Harvey' VHS video years ago. And I think ot was Serra, talking about Harves. And he said that whenever Harves opens his mouth the whole room goes silent and everyone listens.

His public persona may not be the same as his private one. His public persona doesn't strike me as one of a coach, but perhaps he operates differently behind the scenes.

Anyway, I think the Harves coaching thing may have been a bit of a misfire by the club perhaps. Maybe they thought that by putting him in caretaker and floating the idea of him getting the job, that the fans may have rallied ala Essendon and Hird.

Or maybe they installed him as caretaker due to the suddeness of what's-his-name's departure and the lack of any other suitable options :idea:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I had the 'Robert Harvey' VHS video years ago. And I think ot was Serra, talking about Harves. And he said that whenever Harves opens his mouth the whole room goes silent and everyone listens.

Or maybe they installed him as caretaker due to the suddeness of what's-his-name's departure and the lack of any other suitable options :idea:
Yeah, possibly/probably.

bob__71
Club Player

I welcome it. And if he gets the job I will assume he was the best candidate. I think it is wrong to write off people based on zero knowledge.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:I welcome it. And if he gets the job I will assume he was the best candidate. I think it is wrong to write off people based on zero knowledge.
+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:I welcome it. And if he gets the job I will assume he was the best candidate. I think it is wrong to write off people based on zero knowledge.
Exactly bob, none of us know anything about these blokes as coaches other than what we see on the TV and read in the press.

I saw Leon Cameron interviewed for about 30 seconds at the Brownlow and immediately thought he was rather unimpressive. Spoke a bit softly for my liking. But hey, that's 30 seconds and it's in a totally different environment.

I think those of us that have doubts about Harvey base those doubts on a number of things including:

* Him being a rather non aggressive bloke
* Him being a rather softly spoken fella
* Him having never really expressed an interest in becoming a senior AFL coach
* A perceived opinion that he wasn't very good as an Assistant at Carlton.

But these are just that, perceptions. I very much doubt anyone on here knows Banger; his philosophies, his motivations etc.

On paper he doesn't appear to be a real chance. But obviously the whole process goes a lot deeper than that, and if he comes out on top then good luck to him I say.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Exactly bob, none of us know anything about these blokes as coaches other than what we see on the TV and read in the press.

I saw Leon Cameron interviewed for about 30 seconds at the Brownlow and immediately thought he was rather unimpressive. Spoke a bit softly for my liking. But hey, that's 30 seconds and it's in a totally different environment.

I think those of us that have doubts about Harvey base those doubts on a number of things including:

But these are just that, perceptions. I very much doubt anyone on here knows Banger; his philosophies, his motivations etc.

On paper he doesn't appear to be a real chance. But obviously the whole process goes a lot deeper than that, and if he comes out on top then good luck to him I say.
Carlton were pretty happy with Harves and even gave him a wrap.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
+1
I am not writing him off by the way.

Just saying remember this is the Saints we are talking about. Hope it is handled well either way. Thats all.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If he interviews well and gets the gig I'll be happy. He doesn't seem a passionate or overly emotional guy but neither did Judas. Very hard to judge what he does behind closed doors, sometimes the less is more approach gets things going better than an overly complicated explanation of every thing. The good thing is that under Lyon we were so drilled that we couldn't be creative, that discipline should stay with the group but with a little more flair we may just be able to watch free flowing games again.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Carlton were pretty happy with Harves and even gave him a wrap.
Nonetheless there's a perception amongst some people that they were happy to let him go.

Like I said, none of us really know anything about the rookie applicants.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: the great man - harves

Con Gorozidis wrote:I just hope that if harves doesn't get the job it is handled well and there is no fall out with the club or any bad vibes.

I know it sounds unlikely but this is the saints remember.
as expected saints managed to mis-handle this one.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I just hope that if harves doesn't get the job it is handled well and there is no fall out with the club or any bad vibes.

Where's the proof they've mishandled this Con?

Yes it appears he hasn't got the job. And it appears he's upset he didn't get the job.

Everything else is conjecture.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yes it appears he hasn't got the job. And it appears he's upset he didn't get the job.

Some people can sniff out a reason to bash the Club at 100 paces

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

^ Not fair IMO

Should be able to criticise the club if justified, without being labelled a basher I reckon.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Dr Spaceman wrote:

But why install a 'caretaker' at all. It's not as if we had games coming up and the players are all of on their break. We know Pelchen is calling the list management shots.

It stuck me as odd to announce a caretaker coach in the first place.
Last edited by Saint_Ash on Wed 12 Oct 2011 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Buckets
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:^ Not fair IMO

Should be able to criticise the club if justified, without being labelled a basher I reckon.
But in this case Con has bashed on the basis of assumption not fact.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just because the decision to announce a "caretaker" coach was taken doesn't mean that the board have to then APPOINT the "caretaker" (or do we get into the whole "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" type of "process"( :roll: ) again????) How professional would THAT be? :roll:
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Wed 12 Oct 2011 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

But why install a 'caretaker' at all. It's not as if we had games coming up and the players are all of on their break. We know Pelchin is calling the list management shots.

It stuck me as odd to announce a caretaker coach in the first place.
No one, including Harves himself, should have taken that appointment as some sort of sign re the permanent position.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

You are just looking at the headline. you reread the aritcle and see if the saints mismanaged it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You are just looking at the headline. you reread the aritcle and see if the saints mismanaged it.
i re-read it. im not getting into a blame game. just saying it was always going to be delicate and feelings egos might get in the way.
by mis-management - i dont mean we have done the wrong thing just maybe mishandled the "feelings" part of it.
so yes - doing the right/wrong thing is not what i meant by mis-management.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

what are you weirdos talking about.
you seem to not be able to distinguish between the "decision process" and the "legend mgt issue".
I am also not bashing at all. I just said I feared this may not end well - which was totally spot on.
FFS.
I am not saying we mishandled the decision process ( i have made numerous posts saying how impressed i was with the the panel etc etc).
I am saying there was always a danger there would be a bruised ego and an upset legend at the end of it.
I have no idea how it could have been avoided - ( i have low emotional intelligence and im not a psychologist, priest or a buddhist monk). all i did was point out that this situation may transpire for a less than optimum result/outcome.
if people cant understand that aspect then thats their problem not mine.
Spaceman - you said yourself he was upset and that what im referring to. So by your own words its a less than perfect outcome.
Have a go at my arguments by all means - but please try to understand them first before you have a go at me.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

what are you weirdos talking about.
you seem to not be able to distinguish between the "decision process" and the "legend mgt issue".
I am also not bashing at all. I just said I feared this may not end well - which was totally spot on.
FFS.
I am not saying we mishandled the decision process ( i have made numerous posts saying how impressed i was with the the panel etc etc).
I am saying there was always a danger there would be a bruised ego and an upset legend at the end of it.
I have no idea how it could have been avoided - (but i have low emotional intelligence and im not a psychologist or a buddhist monk_. all i did was point out that this situation may transpire for a less than optimum result/outcome.
if people cant understand that aspect then thats their problem not mine.
Maybe it's something to do with the pompousness of your post Con :wink:
Con Gorozidis wrote:as expected saints managed to mis-handle this one.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Maybe it's something to do with the pompousness of your post Con :wink:

"Its pomposity gone mad"

Bob Hawke
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 12 Oct 2011 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.