St Kilda swap pick 20 for pick 25, Saad & Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Great deal. Although with another indigenous, and an Egyptian boy, probably more fodder for the Raph haters. I hope not though. But it still is not helping our salary cap situation is it!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Great deal. Although with another indigenous, and an Egyptian boy, probably more fodder for the Raph haters.
I'm yet to hear one of our supporters criticise Raph based on the colour of his skin.

Some people on here claim to have heard it but I do have to wonder.

I don't think our supporters are racist.

My two cents.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Why were these two overlooked in previous drafts if they are so good?
Just because they didn't get picked up then doesn't mean the recruiters were right!

Barlow, J-Pod...
yes I know.

Sam Fisher, Andrew Thompson for example.

But suddenly Saad is a matchwinner. Maybe matured in the VFL since last draft.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bardon Saint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Great deal. Although with another indigenous, and an Egyptian boy, probably more fodder for the Raph haters. I hope not though. But it still is not helping our salary cap situation is it!
People do not hate Raph because of his skin. That is ridiculous. I hate Gram too, it's not because he is white or has a stupid looking tatoo, it's beacuse for every great thing he does he makes 5 f*ck-ups. Same with Raph. Can be brilliant at times but consistency is key.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Good to see that we aren't the only ones who think this is an awesome deal. Also loving the comparison, by someone who supports Port Adelaide, of Milera with Andrew Lovett (style wise):
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881843

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

By all accounts both Milera and Saad are top players. Very happy about this!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
RoseInOz
Club Player

I worked at Koonibba several years ago. Milera comes from that community. They have the oldest Aboriginal team in Australia. Others that come from that area are Eddie Betts, Graeme Johncock, the Burgoynes, Wanganeens, Millers, and several others. These boys are very good footballers.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

As someone pointed out, this could mean bye bye for Gamble.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:The Giants were able to trade Saad and Milera under rules that allow them to pre-list any player who has previously nominated for the draft.

This is the clever bit, it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal unless the AFL run another expansion in the future and use the same rules.

As the first club to negotiate such a trade this year, St. Kilda have hypothetically had the pick of the field of VFL-grade mature aged players, and still get to roll the dice again in the top 30 of the draft.
Where have you been? Collingwood and Richmond had two trades sorted as soon as trade week opened. That Richmond player is meant to be a star (aren't they all when traded/drafted).

Last year, Mzungu, Krak, Richardson and a few others were moved on from Gold Coast. Its a great idea to get someone for nothing really, Saad would have been highly sought, second, maybe third round one would think.
Haha yeah, I got that way wrong! :oops:

Years of awful drafting by the Saints has clearly affected my attention span during trade week! :P

Nice to see us get in on the mature age act even if we are a year behind the pack.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Q5
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
matrix wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:So the trade is
St.Kilda trades pick 20
for
Saad, Milera and Pick 25 from GWS
blimey
how'd he wrangle that one!
Three letters: S.O.S.
Maybe he felt sorry for us after Ross left us in the lurch. :D
Nah - he's just trying to soften the blow when he goes hell for leather after BJ next year!!! :evil:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

InkerSaint wrote:
St Ick wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:The Giants were able to trade Saad and Milera under rules that allow them to pre-list any player who has previously nominated for the draft.

This is the clever bit, it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal unless the AFL run another expansion in the future and use the same rules.

As the first club to negotiate such a trade this year, St. Kilda have hypothetically had the pick of the field of VFL-grade mature aged players, and still get to roll the dice again in the top 30 of the draft.
Where have you been? Collingwood and Richmond had two trades sorted as soon as trade week opened. That Richmond player is meant to be a star (aren't they all when traded/drafted).

Last year, Mzungu, Krak, Richardson and a few others were moved on from Gold Coast. Its a great idea to get someone for nothing really, Saad would have been highly sought, second, maybe third round one would think.
Haha yeah, I got that way wrong! :oops:

Years of awful drafting by the Saints has clearly affected my attention span during trade week! :P

Nice to see us get in on the mature age act even if we are a year behind the pack.
haha, all good our previous years definitely has us a little gunshy, definitely good to see with this trade though, was hoping we'd do this this year.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Q5 wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
matrix wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:So the trade is
St.Kilda trades pick 20
for
Saad, Milera and Pick 25 from GWS
blimey
how'd he wrangle that one!
Three letters: S.O.S.
Maybe he felt sorry for us after Ross left us in the lurch. :D
Nah - he's just trying to soften the blow when he goes hell for leather after BJ next year!!! :evil:
Yeah, I had considered that as well. :(

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
savatage
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Great deal. Although with another indigenous, and an Egyptian boy, probably more fodder for the Raph haters. I hope not though. But it still is not helping our salary cap situation is it!
You normally post some great stuff but that is absolutely terrible what you just wrote.

savatage
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Buckets wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Why were these two overlooked in previous drafts if they are so good?
Just because they didn't get picked up then doesn't mean the recruiters were right!

Barlow, J-Pod...
yes I know.

Sam Fisher, Andrew Thompson for example.

But suddenly Saad is a matchwinner. Maybe matured in the VFL since last draft.
All I can tell you is that I've seen his VFL performances this year & wished we had him. He's only been playing for 5 years & obviously hasn't done the traditional apprenticeship so I guess this would be a good reason why he was overlooked.

saintmont
Club Player

With these 2 pick-up how does Gamble and Polo sit now with the saints plans?

savatage
SS Life Member

saintmont wrote:With these 2 pick-up how does Gamble and Polo sit now with the saints plans?
I would've delisted Gamble anyway personally...I'd keep Polo as midfield depth.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Oh dear, more of this nonsense. People 'hate' Raph because he's been on our list forever, played a handful of decent/good games and makes the same mistakes he's always made.

defacto
Club Player

True Believer wrote:As someone pointed out, this could mean bye bye for Gamble.
when is gamble contracted till? if he's contracted next year then our only option is to trade him, i dont think anyone will be interested.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Great deal. Although with another indigenous, and an Egyptian boy, probably more fodder for the Raph haters.
I'm yet to hear one of our supporters criticise Raph based on the colour of his skin.

Some people on here claim to have heard it but I do have to wonder.

I don't think our supporters are racist.

My two cents.
agree. i dont think raph knockers are racist.
more his tendency for rabbit in a headlight clangers.
in his favour is his go-go gadget arms and great spoiling.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
True Believer wrote:As someone pointed out, this could mean bye bye for Gamble.
when is gamble contracted till? if he's contracted next year then our only option is to trade him, i dont think anyone will be interested.
well we got him at 90 odd- hard to see him getting higher than that.
So id suggest he is about to fall out of the system. gws probably his only chance but they dont seem interested in getting mature players at all. its all kids kids kids.

sRaf
Club Player

Is Saad the first Egyptian AFL player? That's pretty neat if so.

Welcome aboard :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:Is Saad the first Egyptian AFL player? That's pretty neat if so.

And does he walk like an Egyptian? :)

markp
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:Is Saad the first Egyptian AFL player? That's pretty neat if so.

I think there's a bit of de-nile about how good he is though.... :oops:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:in his favour is his go-go gadget arms and great spoiling.
Huh? I've lost count the number of times he's been 3rd man up and has missed the ball or let it fall to the back of the pack. I would not call that one of his strengths...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think I speak for everyone when I say "wow!"............been pretty much waiting to see what the damage was in this draft period....didn't expect to get two high rated smalls for virtually nothing

Is this a case of here's the good news........now get ready for the bad news..?
or is that just my traditional StKilda pessimism ?

So far so good, well done Pelchen.

Nee!