Alan Richardson new coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:I have no problem with a coach who didn't have a stellar career as a player. Obviously being a good coach is more about having outstanding people skills, communication skills and tactical skills. But I do think showing a bit of ticker as a player is essential in a coach and I'm not sure Watters meets that criteria.
Don't remember him lacking ticker as a better than average player with the eagles !!! :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think we should grab them both in a chelsea heights style co-coach relationship...both their resumes sound terrific.....

of course I would have preferred Ayres....so Teflon says...

gurubob101
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:I have no problem with a coach who didn't have a stellar career as a player. Obviously being a good coach is more about having outstanding people skills, communication skills and tactical skills. But I do think showing a bit of ticker as a player is essential in a coach and I'm not sure Watters meets that criteria.
Don't remember him lacking ticker as a better than average player with the eagles !!! :roll:
Played 46 games in 4 years as an outside mid with the Eagles before being delisted. Played enough games in Sydney and at the fledgling Dockers to make 100 games. One of my least favourite players of all time. He may turn out to be a great coach but the facts show he was never anything more than a GOP.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

[quote="BigMart"]
of course I would have preferred Ayres....quote]

Just going with the facts...

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

which were...

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
Played 46 games in 4 years as an outside mid with the Eagles before being delisted. Played enough games in Sydney and at the fledgling Dockers to make 100 games. One of my least favourite players of all time. He may turn out to be a great coach but the facts show he was never anything more than a GOP.
Still reckon you are selling him a little short Bob but you are entitled to your opinion as I am..played with the Eagles during a pretty strong period ..91 grand finalist and runner up best and fairest at the swans..BTW Alan Jeans was a GOP as a player...turned out a pretty fair coach :wink:

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

which were...

Burkey 1
Club Player

Can Watters be an uncomprising hard coach when it's needed to be ???, from all reports it seems richardson can !!

gurubob101
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
Still reckon you are selling him a little short Bob but you are entitled to your opinion as I am..played with the Eagles during a pretty strong period ..91 grand finalist and runner up best and fairest at the swans..BTW Alan Jeans was a GOP as a player...turned out a pretty fair coach :wink:
Plenty of coaches were never stars. I agree it's not a pre-requisite and over time I reckon it would be somewhere around 50/50 coaches who were great players and successful coaches like Matthews and Blight compared to the GOP brigade lead by blokes like Malthouse and Pagan.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Unless you played for Subiaco, you wouldnt really know....assistant coaches dont make real decisions.....mainly just suggestions...

No doubt he knows his s***...but is he a good leader....who knows

St.Rob8
Club Player

Hopefully the selection panel knows now!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

St.Rob8 wrote:Hopefully the selection panel knows now!
They would know...just completing the formalities :wink:

gurubob101
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Unless you played for Subiaco, you wouldnt really know....assistant coaches dont make real decisions.....mainly just suggestions...

No doubt he knows his s***...but is he a good leader....who knows
+1... I think you are right on the money with that comment. There's no doubt it's lonely at the top.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:which were...
facts are Ayres aint senior coach at St Kilda. Amazing how the selection panel overlooked such a gifted coach...

You'll live.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

they may have erred...who knows???

are they going to be 100% iron clad right with their decision??? which ever way they go.....

You realise, they may well have made a mistake in 2006....Longmire may have been the better option???? after all, in his first season he outcoached lyon who was in his 5th....

anyways, I do remember repeatedly saying....I would prefer a contemporary coach for football reasons.....but dismissed the nonsense that Ayres was hopeless....for obvious and factual reasons....

The board was following the geelong model...(which is even stated on the club website)....which all leading teams do.....follow others......

if only we had the 25 multi premiership players to make our rookie coach successful too.....

saintnick12
Club Player

BigMart wrote: if only we had the 25 multi premiership players to make our rookie coach successful too.....
We have 25 multi grand final players :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

succesful is when you win one.....none of them have a medal...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:they may have erred...who knows???

are they going to be 100% iron clad right with their decision??? which ever way they go.....

You realise, they may well have made a mistake in 2006....Longmire may have been the better option???? after all, in his first season he outcoached lyon who was in his 5th....

anyways, I do remember repeatedly saying....I would prefer a contemporary coach for football reasons.....but dismissed the nonsense that Ayres was hopeless....for obvious and factual reasons....

The board was following the geelong model...(which is even stated on the club website)....which all leading teams do.....follow others......

if only we had the 25 multi premiership players to make our rookie coach successful too.....
which leads us back to facts (outside waffle/opinion) ...Ayres again overlooked .....this time by us.............why???

it must sting.

“Yeah….nah””
saintnick12
Club Player

BigMart wrote:succesful is when you win one.....none of them have a medal...
I know that...was joking...hence the wink...

I agree with you...big difference between the Geelong list and ours, but still possible we can have another tilt next year...everything would need to go right though...especially with injuries.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I did realise that.....

I too believe we can have one more tilt.....over a two year period

saintnick12
Club Player

latest article...same old, same old

he must have been reading on here :lol:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6166288966

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think the club is looking to fresh new faces and not tried and true. The only coaches with ongoing premiership success at multiple clubs in recent history, are Matthews and Malthouse, so outside of those two, there is no evidence that someone like Ayres would have any more success with us than many of the assistant coaches around at the moment. I think Harvs may still be a couple of years shy of being close to a senior coach role, and maybe should bite the bullet and stay at the club or coach in a lesser league for experience.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i really liked alan richardson when he played francis urquhart in house of cards.

sainter27
Club Player

House of Cards was a great show!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

That was Ian, his other half brother.