Apparently Tom Lynch to Adelaide for Pick 37

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Id much rather us develop walsh and stanley. they have far more upside.

lynch's problem is he to slow to be a mobile hf/hb flanker and doesnt have the strength or vertical leap to be a kpp. theres basically no position for him.

However one must wonder why we didnt keep him and move on a proven spud instead. i dont think its a given that lynch is spud material yet.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Probably a handy replacement for Gunston, as far as the Crows are concerned. Lynchy obviously needed to start again, he'll probably do well...that's life. I just hope we use our pick for good instead of evil. It's been touted there's not an awful lot of depth in the draft for kids past GWS's opening salvo, so maybe there's a larger deal in the offing? I do like trade week.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so what ended up being the trade/deal???

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so what ended up being the trade/deal???
Nothing Yet.

Saintsational Legend

so its all piss and wind then
maric went to the tiges for what???

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so its all piss and wind then
I think they are waiting for the medical report, he just got off the plane in SA a little while ago?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so its all piss and wind then
Whole 3 way thing still not done yet. Think Saints are still trying to negotiate something better than pick 35, but will probably end up taking it.
Trade Week Radio are pretty confidant the deal will be done. At this stage Still No Deal. Maric still a Crow. Lynch still a Saint.

Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left. There will be those on here blaming recruiters saying he knew Stewart Loewe, he barracked for St Kilda, he shouldn't have gone so high

But, for his size, which at U18 level is considered tall forward, he finished in the top 10 for all draftees at his draft camp for both the shuttle run and repeat sprints. Repeat sprints is an interesting one, considering he finished just 0.23 seconds behind Stephen Hill and in front of Chris Yarran.

Anyone remember the wet ground that day against the Swans, it made a lot of people look silly and that is the main occasion I've seen him look slow.

Those who have a go at his disposal wouldn't have been to many Sandy games, as he has excellent disposal and great decision making. The kid got smashed vs Fletcher in his first game and played his last game as a late call-up and pretty much everyone played poorly.

Does anyone have the stats on when RL subbed him off on the other occasions? I remember being disappointed at him being subbed more than once. The only time he was able to play a second match in a row was when he got 16 touches and kicked 2 goals in match which suggested he could cut it.

So we give up a first round draft pick when he is 21, after we've put 3 years of development into him, after we never gave him a chance. This is one huge mess, while we would likely keep the same players which frustrate the supporters week in week out, if all we get for him is pick 37.

I'm not sure if I'm alone, but I'm hugely disappointed in this trade. How slow and 'not up to it' did Jack Watts look in his first 6 games'? It probably took him 30 to get above 15 touches and a couple of goals. What a mess...
Last edited by St Ick on Fri 14 Oct 2011 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left. There will be those on here blaming recruiters saying he knew Stewart Loewe, he barracked for St Kilda, he shouldn't have gone so high, why didn't we get Cyril?

But, for his size, which at U18 level is considered tall forward, he finished in the top 10 for all draftees at his draft camp for both the shuttle run and repeat sprints. Repeat sprints is an interesting one, considering he finished just 0.23 seconds behind Stephen Hill and in front of Chris Yarran.

Anyone remember the wet ground that day against the Swans, it made a lot of people look silly and that is the main occasion I've seen him look slow.

Those who have a go at his disposal wouldn't have been to many Sandy games, as he has excellent disposal and great decision making. The kid got smashed vs Fletcher in his first game and played his last game as a late call-up and pretty much everyone played poorly.

Does anyone have the stats on when RL subbed him off on the other occasions? I remember being disappointed at him being subbed more than once. The only time he was able to play a second match in a row was when he got 16 touches and kicked 2 goals in match which suggested he could cut it.

So we give up a first round draft pick when he is 21, after we've put 3 years of development into him, after we never gave him a chance. This is one huge mess, while we would likely keep the same players which frustrate the supporters week in week out, if all we get for him is pick 37.

I'm not sure if I'm alone, but I'm hugely disappointed in this trade. How slow and 'not up to it' did Jack Watts look in his first 6 games'? It probably took him 30 to get above 15 touches and a couple of goals. What a mess...
Brilliant post, you have nailed it.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Joffa 5
Club Player

I agree

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Good post. Had high hopes for him. Whatever happens. I hope he goes well.

elvis lives
Club Player

could not agree more St Ick, excellent post.

and too right people will f-ing whinge if/when he succeeds at the crows. he was never given a decent run at it in the seniors despite regulalrly getting in the best at sandy.

I am marching in the Saints army
defacto
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left. There will be those on here blaming recruiters saying he knew Stewart Loewe, he barracked for St Kilda, he shouldn't have gone so high

spot on!!!!!

if we lose him we need a top 25 pick at a bare minimum

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
St Ick wrote:Well I am very disappointed that Lynch has left. There will be those on here blaming recruiters saying he knew Stewart Loewe, he barracked for St Kilda, he shouldn't have gone so high, why didn't we get Cyril?

Brilliant post, you have nailed it.
+1

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

+3
At least we're consistent (with making a mess of our 1st round draft picks).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Would Lynch have played with us much in 2012??

Up forward..you would have Kosi and Walsh in front of him....

...or play another medium in Siposs or our new recruit.

Down back...pretty hard to see him displacing anyone.

Unfortunately he is not quite a KPP and as a flanker he is slow.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 14 Oct 2011 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:+3
Roo
Kosi
Ball
X
Dal
BJ
Raph
Armo
Big Boy
Lynch

7 of the past 10 were regulars this year. Lynch played a few and X and Ball gone. Not too bad I would have thought. May have missed some though. Just off the top of my head?

A few elite players a few solid players and a couple of not so good picks.

I wouldn't call it terrible though.

8856brother wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:+3
Roo
Kosi
Ball
X
Dal
BJ
Raph
Armo
Big Boy
Lynch

7 of the past 10 were regulars this year. Lynch played a few and X and Ball gone. Not too bad I would have thought. May have missed some though. Just off the top of my head?

A few elite players a few solid players and a couple of not so good picks.

I wouldn't call it terrible though.
Andrew Lovett, Fergus Watts, Caydn Beetham, Tom Lynch and any others I haven't remembered off the top of mine. And I was meaning more in the last 5 or so years, not so much going back to the Roo and co era, when we had top 5 picks and they pretty much picked themselves. It wasn't rocket science to pick Roo, BJ, Ball, for instance and I wouldn't exactly call Raph and Armo raging successes (for top 10 picks) just at the moment.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 14 Oct 2011 12:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Would Lynch have played with us much in 2012??

That is all true and I don't have a problem with trading him, as there really isn't a spot for him at the moment, but to get only pick 37, in a supposedly weak draft for him, when he could easily play across half back at AFL level, in my opinion, I find very disappointing. Jason Blake, for instance, is slower than Lynch, I'd suggest, is still playing AFL and has racked up 199 games and I reckon Lynch could easily have at least as serviceable career as Jason has, if not more.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Why would Adelaide spend a second round pick on the slowest player ever? He can't run, kick, he's weak, he can't mark. Yep - must be on his way out if SS is saying such nasty things about him.

For the record, he was in sandy's best 7 times out of twelve. SS darling Tommy Walsh was in the best 8 times in seventeen games. B+F Magner was 9 from 12. IMO Adelaide are getting a steal out of this one.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

That is all true and I don't have a problem with trading him, as there really isn't a spot for him at the moment, but to get only pick 37, in a supposedly weak draft for him, when he could easily play across half back at AFL level, in my opinion, I find very disappointing.
Personally, I'd have him in front of Raph and Blake (Gwilt to be out half of next year) down back and slightly ahead of Walsh (despite being different players) - what if Siposs doesn't come along or gets injured again?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What am I missing here.

Doesn't he want to go, rather than Saints wanting him to?

Though in saying that, he can't walk out as he has a contract next year, so we are in a pretty good position this time around.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I wish they would try and squeeze something more out of Adelaide--pick 37 in a compromised draft isn't very enticing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

That is all true and I don't have a problem with trading him, as there really isn't a spot for him at the moment, but to get only pick 37, in a supposedly weak draft for him, when he could easily play across half back at AFL level, in my opinion, I find very disappointing.
Personally, I'd have him in front of Raph and Blake (Gwilt to be out half of next year) down back and slightly ahead of Walsh (despite being different players) - what if Siposs doesn't come along or gets injured again?
Simpkin?

Stanley also hovering, Johnson, Ferguson.

Don't confuse this with me wanting him to go, I just reckon our stocks are OK.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Announced a while ago. Gone for Pick 37.