Pelchen is doing a mini-rebuild.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe in "full rebuilds" or rebuilds perse.

A team refreshes its list. It's more or less a stocktake.

Geelong do this every year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:I don't believe in "full rebuilds" or rebuilds perse.

A team refreshes its list. It's more or less a stocktake.

Geelong do this every year.
Geelong got away with murder (father son rule). The AFL has fixed this up now with the bidding process. Collingwood too did very well out of the old rule as well.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
ThePunter
Club Player

Christiansen, Menzel, Duncan...

They've drafted really well, and coached 'em up as well.

Plenty more than F/S at work.

Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:Christiansen, Menzel, Duncan...

They've drafted really well, and coached 'em up as well.

Plenty more than F/S at work.
I agree, they have drafted very well considering they have been in the top 4 for a long time. When you add good drafting to the father son rule loop hole you end up with a Super Team. And that is what Geelong are, A Super Team.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

flogty flogty flog

yup
flogsy

groupie1
Club Player

GoTheTorp wrote:
Parrot_Rosie wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:
Parrot_Rosie wrote:
goodie wrote:You got this from one deal? One that has other supporters reacting rather enviously?
Yes I do. I'm not saying the deal isn't any good. What I am saying is that it's obvious from this deal that Pelchen and Nettlefold have decided to go the mini-build rather than the full on rebuild.

IMHFO, this will not work and it will end in tears again.
Never go full rebuild.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debarcle and then the Malcolm Blight debarcle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won less than 10 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
You used this red highlight whilst using your other persona, you are a total flake, get a life. You need to be using a different I.P and different posting styles to be believable, instead your coming across as a flog troll
Why have we been a top side since 2004:
We already had a few decent players:
Milne, Hayes, harvey, Hudghton, Thompson, Peckett, Baker, plus the big money boys in Gehrig, Hamill, Voss
We were s*** so we got high draft picks:
Goddard, Montagna, Roo, Dal, Ball, Kozi, Macguire, R Clarke, X Clarke, T Lynch, McEvoy, Armitage, Steven all high picks.

Then we matched them with top ups: Schneider, Black, Powell, Dempster, Penny, Gardiner, Guerra, Ray, Gram, Polo, Fiora, C Gardiner, Jones

Fluked a couple: Sam Fisher, Gilbert if you agree he's any good, and Gwilt.

Clearly here, the top ups did not all work, but many have, at least in stages.
The high draft picks didn't always work.

To suggest we had our 2001-2004 run of high picks and that is why we've had success is bulls***. We had the great veterans, half the draft picks became stars, some of the rehash jobs have been very good, and we got lucky a couple times.

ST KILDA is not a good example of 'you need to flush out and start again.'

In fact, one might say it's a perfect example of to sustain an era of success you need to continue tinkering with the list, using out-of-favor players at other clubs to turn them into good 'uns, and if you never finish low enough to get good draft picks, you need to buy up a few players - Hamill, Gehrig.
It's a great example of a balanced approach to recruiting.

Geelong hasn't had a decent draft pick in a decade, never bottomed out, but 3 flags to show for it.

Actually, all any of this shows is that you need really smart people to find the talent, as there are examples in the 4 categories of recruits who are good and who aren't:
High priced guns: Judd... Fevola
Top draft picks: Dal Santo... Fiora mark 1
Top ups: Schneider... Fiora mark 2
Low draft picks: Sam Fisher... can't think of an example

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
SA1NTER
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Bigfooty must be laughing their heads off that they managed to offload this loomer. :roll: :lol:
I can tell you that the BigFooty St. Kilda board is relieved with getting rid of the problem poster in question. It's just too bad SS doesn't IP ban the fool.

We are St. Kilda
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SA1NTER wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Bigfooty must be laughing their heads off that they managed to offload this loomer. :roll: :lol:
I can tell you that the BigFooty St. Kilda board is relieved with getting rid of the problem poster in question. It's just too bad SS doesn't IP ban the fool.
Yeah thanks for that :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Strange rebuild if we're retaining blokes like Peake and Polo however moving on Lynch and possibly Walsh who younger and have more upside IMO.