Not over the hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Not over the hill

I think there has been plenty of doom and gloom recently - what started with Lyon walking out, all the talk of losing Goddard, our failed finals campaign, the salary cap and more, I think it's time to start looking ahead to some much more positive times.

I close my eyes and picture that photo taken last November, Ross, with a smile as wide as his face, clutching hold of our six new draftees. To me, that photo gave me hope for 2011. Unfortunately, it all quickly came tumbling down - we saw a few games given to kids, but in my opinion, not long enough. Lenny did his knee, as did Gwilt. And of course, Gilbert, Riewoldt and Dal were all caught up in the 'St.Kilda School Girl' saga.

Now I close my eyes and think of a photo that will hopefully be taken in a little over a month's time from now. Our new coach, new assistant coaches, Ahmed Saad, Terry Milera and a bunch of exciting new draftees. Again, feelings of hope will seep from us faithful. I also imagine Chris Pelchan and Ameet Bains somewhere in the background, hard to see, but also brimming with a huge smile, knowing their massive part in this.

This year, Geelong won the flag as one of the oldest teams in decades. However, had we won it we would not have beaten that record - we are not as old as Geelong, and whilst some believe our window closed, I believe it still very much open.

If you look at the below table, you will see that in 2011 Geelong had 11 players over 29 years of age. We have 8, however this includes Baker and Gardiner, meaning in 2012 we will have the same number as Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and West Coast, with Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne, Hayes, Fisher and Blake. We also have the most amount of players in the 26-28 age-bracket - whilst there is generally little improvement to come from this bracket, they are often the players playing at their peak.

Our issue is 22-25 year olds, having the 3rd least in the competition (behind Gold Coast and GEELONG). However, the addition of Saad and Milera will take us just below the league average in 2012. We are 3 below the average in players 18-21, which is a worry for the future, but it hopefully shouldnt effect us too much in 2012.

_______18-21____22-25____26-28____29+
Adel_____9_______ 18_______7_______6
Bris_____12_______14_______7_______5
Carl_____9________20_______8_______6
Coll_____17_______20_______5_______7
Ess______9_______20_______7________4
Freo____10_______15_______8________5
Geel____14_______12_______6_______11
GC_____28________7_______5________3
Haw____13_______18_______11_______6
Melb____13_______22_______6________4
NM_____11_______19_______6________4
Port____10_______16_______9________5
Rich____12_______22_______5________3
St.K_____9_______13______12________8
Syd____10_______16_______9________7
WC_____11_______19_______7________6
WB_____11_______16_______6________8

Av.____12.2______16.9_____7.3______5.8

So from looking at these numbers, I don't think our list is in as dire shape as what has been suggested. Yes, we are getting a bit older, but we are not yet over the hill. The worry is that five of our players 29+ are also five of our best, but most of them should still be able to compete at their peak for another 1-2 years.

I believe that with a good pre-season, a bit of rejuvenation around the club (fresh faces, new coach, new game-plan), all hope should not be lost for 2012.

Go the Sainters! 8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A very interesting and well put together Post, Thirty-Seven. Our situation is certainly not as dire as some would think. I give us another 2 years of top performance opportunity.

A lot will depend on how well our younger guys can improve during this time. Saad and Milera look good prospects and if last years "young brigade" can kick on, plus a new Coach, I am pretty positive about 2012 in particular. Plus - a "re-invigorated" Rooey :!:

St Loxton
Club Player

I think we should be positive about the next couple of years, window well open.
We'll have a fresh Lenny, plus Jack and Armo even more battle hardened. I think we have a solid midfield group.
Our defence is well versed in being a meagre and close checking unit, with plenty of skill by foot (Chips, BJ and Dal). Still to be one of the best in the league.
Our Fwd options are improving with Tommy Walsh virtually a first round pick for us this year. Hopefully Saad looks like he will be pushing hard for a spot, and keep the pressure on Schnieds and Sipposs (and Milney).
Just think we have loads of talent all over the park, Big Mac to improve more and to share duties with Kosi. We do need another back up ruck though.

Bring on 2012

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I just think Geelong winning this year gives us plenty of hope.
Also what will do us a load of good is to have a scandal free pre season with no distractions other than concentrating on the season to come.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.