Swans pushing for walsh hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hammer
Club Player

Another RL stuff up not playing this gun.
The kid is a Jet and should have 30+ games by now and be a definite starter in our regular 22.
If we lose him after putting development into him we will be a laughing stock.

Bring back the Hammer!
PJ
SS Life Member

gurubob101 wrote:
PJ wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:All premiership contenders subsequently face salary cap pressure. Our tragedy is that we came up empty handed after having a serious tilt at a flag. Hard choices need to be made... now... and regardless of whether he is 'The Messiah' or a white elephant with a bad hair cut Walsh shows an enormous amount of potential....which is why other clubs are chasing him. The club put an awful lot of effort into getting him over and given the improvement he has made already it is looking like a smart move. It would be a downright disgrace if we allow him to get poached by another club. Forget about being sad to lose Farren Ray, Ryan Gamble or Jason Blake... the club is at a crossroads here. We slide slowly into oblivion for 10 years like Carlton in the late nineties or we clean out and rebuild around our core group over a couple of years. For the love of God Saints! Make room for him in the salary cap and give him a go.
I agree with what you're saying but generally we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Bains and Pelchen would appear to be the men that need to be over this and hopefully pelchan isn't too preoccupied with the coach position to focus on this. I'm sure they're in contact with Tommy and are trying to sort this otherwise they wouldn't have made the "no trade" statement. I think it's more the Salary Cap issues.
My hope is that Pelchen and Bain have been collecting draft picks to package up for a couple of big last minute wins at the trade table. Kosi + 25 for Zac Clarke or Ray plus 37 for Pearce. And that they take a punt on Tommy Walsh by offering him a 2-3 year contract on decent money.
You get the feeling something has to happen - Monday could be a big day for the St.Kilda FC.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isnt Walsh still a Rookie???

Cannot trade Rookie Listed players......He would need to be upgraded first....which I dont believe has happened...

Only three things can happen with Walsh...

We can upgrade him onto the senior list with a contract at our next list lodgement

He can refuse the contract and go into the National Draft

He can put a price on his head and be picked up in the Pre-Season Draft...which is the likely scenario

It will be another example of mismanagement of our list since 2008....we cant even hang onto untried kids

noob
Club Player

I believe you can now trade rookie listed players

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hammer wrote:Another RL stuff up not playing this gun.
The kid is a Jet and should have 30+ games by now and be a definite starter in our regular 22.
If we lose him after putting development into him we will be a laughing stock.
What numbers will come up for
tattslotto tonight?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Isnt Walsh still a Rookie???

Cannot trade Rookie Listed players......He would need to be upgraded first....which I dont believe has happened...

Only three things can happen with Walsh...

We can upgrade him onto the senior list with a contract at our next list lodgement

He can refuse the contract and go into the National Draft

He can put a price on his head and be picked up in the Pre-Season Draft...which is the likely scenario

It will be another example of mismanagement of our list since 2008....we cant even hang onto untried kids
Did Will Sierakowski get traded from the Hawks and he was a rookie.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:It will be another example of mismanagement of our list since 2008....we cant even hang onto untried kids
Not sure what 2008 has to do with anything. The people managing are completely different. Lyon and Drain replaced by Bains and Pelchen. Both have been here less than twelve months.

Losing Walsh is hardly a disaster anyway. We have his positions covered at AFL level. We have younger players with talent around as backups. Walsh is 24. If we're not going to play him and Sydney are willing to give up a decent pick, then I think we'd be foolish to pass it up.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Richter
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
BigMart wrote:It will be another example of mismanagement of our list since 2008....we cant even hang onto untried kids
Not sure what 2008 has to do with anything. The people managing are completely different. Lyon and Drain replaced by Bains and Pelchen. Both have been here less than twelve months.

Losing Walsh is hardly a disaster anyway. We have his positions covered at AFL level. We have younger players with talent around as backups. Walsh is 24. If we're not going to play him and Sydney are willing to give up a decent pick, then I think we'd be foolish to pass it up.
Sydney don't have a decent pick to give. Their first available pick is 43.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Since that period we have seen a serious lack of development in any players drafted from 2008-2010.....three years and we have almost seen zilch...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Since that period we have seen a serious lack of development in any players drafted from 2008-2010.....three years and we have almost seen zilch...
You would reckon the 2010 recruits should all be stars by now. makes sense.

gurubob101
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:

IMO losing Walsh would be a major stuff up. We go out on a limb and take a punt on a raw talent only to have him cherry picked by another club. He's potentially our next key forward and our back up players like Siposs and Johnson will never be key position players. Melbourne and Freo are locked in a battle to the death over Mitch Clark. Dawes was subjected to barrage of offers. Good big men are valuable commodities. Keeping Walsh at St Kilda should be a high priority.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:Sydney don't have a decent pick to give. Their first available pick is 43.
That sounds like a reasonable return for a much hyped 24-year old zero-gamer. If we can't find fifty decent kids roaming the country each year, I'd be more concerned about that than anything going on with Walsh.

25, 37, 42, 43, 61 would give Pelchen and co a decent chance to get some quality youth into the club. Geelong did well in the supposedly weak 09 draft with picks 17, 28, 40, 42 and 56.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Really, if he walks what was the last two years all about?

It was an experiment and fair enough if it doesn't work out.

But to put 2 years into the guy's education and then let another club potentially reap the benefits, simply sucks.

Woeful situation if it happens :(

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Simple fact of the matter is this - in the 70s and 80s Carlton and Richmond would go after and destabilise good players from other clubs because they had the money and there was no salary cap.
Now we have a salary cap, but the teams in the two growth areas such as Brisbane and Sydney have been given legs up to help them to firstly attract players, and secondly, retain them.
Now, that is no longer the case with Brisbane, and in fairness to them they haven't needed to deliberately poach players from other clubs, probably because they just poached an entire club, Fitzroy.
But Sydney - they are just out and out sharks. I would rather see Walsh go to Port, Melbourne, even (and I shudder to say these words) Richmond, before I see him at Sydney. As Charlton would have said "from my cold dead hands ..." They went after Lockett aided and abetted by the media, used Lockett to grab Obie and Hall and now they have gone after Walsh...
I'm with the guy (or girl) on this forum who wrote, let's keep Walsh and then let's go after Sydney's young players, starting with Lewis Johnstone. And Leroy Jetta would be nice too.
And please allow me to quote another great man, this time from the master, Mickey Rourke - "Payback's a mother======"

defacto
Club Player

we need to play hard ball with walsh. we need to tell him he isnt going anywhere.

worst case scenerio he doesnt re-sign and nominates for the draft. the chances of him going to sydney are f*** all given our draft picks:

21. Sydney Swans (committed to Tom Mitchell as a father-son selection)
25. St Kilda
37. St Kilda
42. St Kilda
43. Sydney Swans

we can use pick 42 on him and stop him going to the swans. if he doesnt want to play for us then he doesnt play at all. we need a bit of mongrel here and send a clear message to sydney we will not tolerate them trying to poach our players.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Simple fact of the matter is this - in the 70s and 80s Carlton and Richmond would go after and destabilise good players from other clubs because they had the money and there was no salary cap.
Now we have a salary cap, but the teams in the two growth areas such as Brisbane and Sydney have been given legs up to help them to firstly attract players, and secondly, retain them.
Now, that is no longer the case with Brisbane, and in fairness to them they haven't needed to deliberately poach players from other clubs, probably because they just poached an entire club, Fitzroy.
But Sydney - they are just out and out sharks. I would rather see Walsh go to Port, Melbourne, even (and I shudder to say these words) Richmond, before I see him at Sydney. As Charlton would have said "from my cold dead hands ..." They went after Lockett aided and abetted by the media, used Lockett to grab Obie and Hall and now they have gone after Walsh...
I'm with the guy (or girl) on this forum who wrote, let's keep Walsh and then let's go after Sydney's young players, starting with Lewis Johnstone. And Leroy Jetta would be nice too.
And please allow me to quote another great man, this time from the master, Mickey Rourke - "Payback's a mother======"
Very nicely put SS.

BTW, I saw "Shintaro" and the Iga Ninjas live at Festival Hall when I was a young tacker :)

vacuous space
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:...let's go after Sydney's young players, starting with Lewis Johnstone.
Why start with him? He's a key forward who's struggled to get a game in Sydney.

We should be trying to poach everyone else's young talent anyway, as I imagine we are. Hard to do against the cap. Open up cap space for next year, when most of a Gold Coast side will be out of contract.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If Sydney want Walsh they can give us Hanneberry or Rohan in return.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

If Walsh leaves, this typifies why St Kilda is a joke club that has only one flag. Seriously, this is UNBELIEVABLE that we are even in this position. This guy has potential and should have been given a go in 2011. We need to send a message to Sydney that we won't let them poach our players!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:If Sydney want Walsh they can give us Hanneberry or Rohan in return.
Sam Reid

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Old Mate wrote:If Sydney want Walsh they can give us Hanneberry or Rohan in return.
Sam Reid
Or him. Anyone of those three young guns.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Simple fact of the matter is this - in the 70s and 80s Carlton and Richmond would go after and destabilise good players from other clubs because they had the money and there was no salary cap.

But Sydney - they are just out and out sharks. I would rather see Walsh go to Port, Melbourne, even (and I shudder to say these words) Richmond, before I see him at Sydney. As Charlton would have said "from my cold dead hands ..." They went after Lockett aided and abetted by the media,
used Lockett to grab Obie and Hall and now they have gone after Walsh...

Very nicely put SS.

BTW, I saw "Shintaro" and the Iga Ninjas live at Festival Hall when I was a young tacker :)

I saw them too: at the long-gone Sydney Stadium. Dull as a dog's arse in my recollection, other than for the chance to see the costumes in colour.

The Shintaro TV show was much better. But my heart was captured by another show at the time ("You shouldn't have killed him. We're Phantom
Agents".)

Sad to think that a young fella like Tommy Walsh, growing up in some
priest-ridden, godforsaken part of the Irish boondocks, wouldn't have had the chances you and I had growing up to become steeped in the Way of the Samurai.

It's really not surprising he'd be open to an offer from the Swines...

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
vacuous space
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote:If Walsh leaves, this typifies why St Kilda is a joke club that has only one flag.
Because only a joke club would lose an underplayed rookie to Sydney?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Just on Trade News Radio they said the Swans are really into Tommy Walsh and St Kilda will likely trade him for a pick. Completely opposite to what Pelchen said in the Age article.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Just on Trade News Radio they said the Swans are really into Tommy Walsh and St Kilda will likely trade him for a pick. Completely opposite to what Pelchen said in the Age article.
For pick 43? No thanks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.