Scott Watters' playing and coaching career

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters' playing and coaching career

Played 109 AFL games, 46 with West Coast from 1989-1992; 37 with Sydney from 1993 to 1994; 26 with Freo from 1995 to 1996. He played in the losing GF of 1991, but did not play in the premiership team of 1992. Sydney finished last in both 1993 and 1994. Freo finished 13th in both 1995 and 1996.

Coaching career: Subiaco (WAFL) 2007-09 (two flags), Subiaco (U/19 WAFL) 2006, W.A. State 2008 -09, Collingwood assistant 2010 -2011.

He is now 42.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Exact opposite of Watson playing-wise , let's hope he is opposite in coaching ability.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a fairly good apprenticeship for a prospective coach. I'm EXCITED!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
asaint
Club Player

What was he doing in the years 97 to 2005?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:What was he doing in the years 97 to 2005?
he was doing some work with subiaco and freo on a part time basis as well as running his own business (i could be wrong)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Sounds like a fairly good apprenticeship for a prospective coach. I'm EXCITED!!!!
Big Kev excited I hope :wink:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the thing we will notice first off the bat is Scotty is a very professional media person ... we will see a much much better representation in the media from our coach with scotty .... i also think he will be more open then the Lyon bubble ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the thing we will notice first off the bat is Scotty is a very professional media person ... we will see a much much better representation in the media from our coach with scotty .... i also think he will be more open then the Lyon bubble ...
couldnt agree more. he's exactly what we need. hopefully his persona hopes to bring the media back into the fold so we dont have all this hysteria surrounding our club.

if we can just stay out of scandals the media will quickly move onto another club that attracts the attention.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the thing we will notice first off the bat is Scotty is a very professional media person ... we will see a much much better representation in the media from our coach with scotty .... i also think he will be more open then the Lyon bubble ...
couldnt agree more. he's exactly what we need. hopefully his persona hopes to bring the media back into the fold so we dont have all this hysteria surrounding our club.

if we can just stay out of scandals the media will quickly move onto another club that attracts the attention.
He will probably become exactly the same as all other coaches. No reason to be different as they are all closed shop and defensive. Too much to lose. It's just normal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
defacto wrote:

He will probably become exactly the same as all other coaches. No reason to be different as they are all closed shop and defensive. Too much to lose. It's just normal.
No.

Lyon made St Kilda an island.

That is not normal.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was a very good player....a knee injury in 1990 pretty much stuffed his chances in the 91-2 eagles power sides...

He became a good player in weak sides after he left the eagles....

He was part of the successful WA Teal Cup dream team that beat the vics and starred 8-10 of the West Coast Guns from the early nineties

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
it is well known St Kilda are the hardest club to deal with in regards to the media .. This hopefully changes with watters

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I'm glad we didn't get Hinckley.

Too "Geelong'!!

Wasn't he here with Blight?

Not that I could give a fat rat's toss-bag....

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He was doing special comments on 7 for games in Perth early last decade.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who coaches in the AFL has got to have balls.

Anyone who wants to coach the Saints is either very stupid or has MASSIVE BALLS.

You gotta love a bloke who wants to coach the Sainters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Anyone who coaches in the AFL has got to have balls.

Anyone who wants to coach the Saints is either very stupid or has MASSIVE BALLS.

You gotta love a bloke who wants to coach the Sainters.
He is taking a punt that we have one more good go before a rebuild. Getting a foot in the door is pretty hard and there are plenty more that want your spot.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I found out tonight through a friend that this deal was done 3 weeks ago. I said "why didn't you tell me about this?" .... "you'd blab!" was the response :lol: Obviously knows me too well :)

I'm very pleased about his appointment. Let the fun and games begin :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I found out tonight through a friend that this deal was done 3 weeks ago. I said "why didn't you tell me about this?" .... "you'd blab!" was the response :lol: Obviously knows me too well :)

Sure you did...what your saying is the process was a farce this time...just like it was when GT was appointed.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Nikky Rixon
Club Player

I can remember him being a bit loopy in a A Clarkson and C Connolly sought of way he was a bit of a rabbit on the field hope hes got a wise and focussed head on him now

BushDave
Club Player

Let's give him some support and see what he can do.

Go Sainters!

Never Give Up!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I found out tonight through a friend that this deal was done 3 weeks ago. I said "why didn't you tell me about this?" .... "you'd blab!" was the response :lol: Obviously knows me too well :)

Sure you did...what your saying is the process was a farce this time...just like it was when GT was appointed.... :roll:
I really don't give a flying F*** what you think. This deal was done some time ago. As surprising as it sounds. My source is rock solid.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

I really don't give a flying F*** what you think. This deal was done some time ago. As surprising as it sounds. My source is rock solid.
What a crock :!:

Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
defacto wrote:

No.

Lyon made St Kilda an island.

That is not normal.
Brilliantly said.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

What a crock :!:
Care-factor = nil.

I wasn't writing it in here to bignote. Sorry if you're a bit bitter about it. I'm sure it'll come out in time.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think it's good that he has coached a team before. Regardless of whether it's WAFL, VFL, or under 18's I think the best apprenticeship someone can do, if they want to be an AFL coach, is to actually coach a side. Holding the clipboard, talking to the defenders/mids/forwards and taking the odd training session only prepares you so far.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.