Walsh Gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
millarsaint wrote:The more I think of it the more I think Lyon is a nutcase.
I agree. Lyin would have been aware of the enormous fan pressure to play Walsh, just as he was ware of the enormous fan sentiment to play Hudghton in the '09 finals and give Maguire his 100th game. Just as he was ware of the enormous fan and administration pressure to blood some youngsters.

But, owing to some serious character insecurities, he needed to make a statement -- to himself -- by resisting all pressure.
That's what shat me most about RL, he was given a long rope and a mandate to do anything he liked with in reason. as supporters we didn't freak when he unloaded favourite sons. The board gave him everything within their means to accommodate and he still walked out for more cash. s*** bloke.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
millarsaint wrote:The more I think of it the more I think Lyon is a nutcase.
I agree. Lyin would have been aware of the enormous fan pressure to play Walsh, just as he was ware of the enormous fan sentiment to play Hudghton in the '09 finals and give Maguire his 100th game. Just as he was ware of the enormous fan and administration pressure to blood some youngsters.

But, owing to some serious character insecurities, he needed to make a statement -- to himself -- by resisting all pressure.
That's what shat me most about RL, he was given a long rope and a mandate to do anything he liked with in reason. as supporters we didn't freak when he unloaded favourite sons. The board gave him everything within their means to accommodate and he still walked out for more cash. s*** bloke.

Lol at all of this especial Max for the 09 final series.

Some people have their heads suck in the sand.

Maguire and Clarke both say hi from Brisbane. If not the club, the city.

JJM

2 draft picks for a bloke who hadn't played a game - is not a bad result.

Time will tell whether Walsh turns out to be any good - a lot of blokes are stars at VFL level and just can't crack it in the big league.

Walsh kicked 6 goals for Sandy one day - doesn't really mean alot - I remember we had a centre half forward once who kicked 5 goals in a best on ground performance on debut - against the Bulldogs at the Western Oval.

Was the only game he ver really got a kick in - Milan Faletic.

Walsh did not want to stay at St.Kilda - fine then it is good that he is gone.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Sad that we never go tto see what he could do.
Did enough to earn a game and probably made him feel a little disillusioned, who knows maybe a game or two may have been enough to keep him because he would get the opportunities.
Good luck to him, wish him all the best, except for when he plays us.
Then again two draft picks for a guy who hasn't played a senior game isn't bad.
Let's just hope we find a couple of hidden gems.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

gringo wrote: If he is any further ahead than Mike Pyke I'll believe it when I see it. If he walked good riddence, Will J will have to be a forward instead.
Mike Pyke while a gifted athelete grew up with a completely different code.
Walsh is whole new ball game.. pun intended

Seeya
ctqs
Club Player

Watters and Pelchen said the club offered him a strong deal and outlined his new role but he was adamant he wanted to go. Pelchen said it was a good week despite that disappointment because we stared the week with three picks, and have now doubled it, plus still have all the kids.
They said we're looking for speed and elite foot skills in the draft.
For what it's worth, if we get Fev - and God i hope we don't - it'll end in tears. He's bad news and has too much baggage. We don't need the distraction/bad press he'll cause.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Can we move on from RL please?!?! Pack of bloody wingers we are at times.

Walsh walked out on St Kilda, for greater opportunity and more money elsewhere, he did a Luke Ball in a sense. Could we stop it happening, no, he was traded away which is a hell of a lot more than we got for Ball. If it was RL's fault he didn't get a game while he was learning the caper in the magoos, how many of us watched him play for Sandy week in week out. How many of us reference the 6 goal game he had as the only example in two years where he should've played. How did he go the week before and after that round? Not even I know the answer to that, didn't Will J kick a few bags this year? Walsh, while I wanted him to work out for us, was all just hype and who knows, maybe he didn't actually warrant a game based on things like form, or positioning, or marking skills (it was said previously on here that his 6 goal effort was pretty much handed to him on a platter)... he might be a star of the future but its all very speculative to most people out there who don't actually watch the Sandy games.

The promise of a new coach and new beginnings weren't enough to stop him changing his mind about leaving Saints. IMO I don't want someone like that on our list, we got overs for him in return from the Swans so lets let it go. I'm more upset about the return we got on Lynch, but we can't win all of the trades can we...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gurubob101
Club Player

When we gave up our first round pick for Lovett we were assured by Matthew Drain that we needn't worry about that as Tommy 'The Messiah' Walsh was the equivalent of a first round draft pick. Well that first round draft pick just walked out on us for pick 35. Yet another unforgivable stuff up by a club that has been in crisis since 5.00pm on Grand Final Day 2010.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Pretty disappointed. Don't know who to blame. Really wanted to see him play some games for us :(

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Noone to blame, nothing you can do and blame wont help, move on and look into who we can get at pick 35 to go along with Fev at pick 60. 8-)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

micthomas1 wrote:As someone posted earlier "Richmond will be spewing they only got pick 79 for Morton" who is 24 and has played 50+ games of ALF and kicked 88 goals. Yes it is a shame we did not get to see Tommy play a senior game for the saints, but pick 35 and 68 for a rookie is not bad compensation for someone who is untried at the elite level.
Stop making sense!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

No bigger fan of Tommy than the Doc.

No one more disappointed at around 2 pm today than the Doc.

Yet a few hours later I'm basically over it. These things happen unfortunately.

Scott's in charge and everything's right in the world.

GO SAINTS!!! 8-)

spert
Saintsational Legend

Freak out..it's worse than the carbon tax..sack the board.. we lost a 2nds player who wanted to move to Sydney where he preferred the beach lifestyle!!!

sainterinsydney
Club Player

The more I think about this, the more I think we did alright getting the two picks. Tommy hasn't set the world on fire in the twos.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:No bigger fan of Tommy than the Doc.

No one more disappointed at around 2 pm today than the Doc.

Yet a few hours later I'm basically over it. These things happen unfortunately.

Scott's in charge and everything's right in the world.

GO SAINTS!!! 8-)
I'm with you, Doc.

Over it.

Time to look forward to the draft and an interesting off-season.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Also, remember the rumours around BJ.

Just imagine if we'd lost him.

Better to lose Tommy than the Beej.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If our recruiters do their job properly and use pick 35 prudently, we will get a better player than Walsh in the draft. And that is not speculation or clairvoyancy - as Steven J Peake would say.
I base that on this - we have the 35th pick to select any player in Australia that we like. The entire country. If our recruiters can't pick someone better than Walsh from all the players from all the leagues, from all over the country then they should not be recruiters.
We just have to back them in and hope that the coaching staff will develop them properly.

Saints94
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:If our recruiters do their job properly and use pick 35 prudently, we will get a better player than Walsh in the draft. And that is not speculation or clairvoyancy - as Steven J Peake would say.
I base that on this - we have the 35th pick to select any player in Australia that we like. The entire country. If our recruiters can't pick someone better than Walsh from all the players from all the leagues, from all over the country then they should not be recruiters.
We just have to back them in and hope that the coaching staff will develop them properly.
+1

SaintSimmo
Club Player

isn't funny how the other day we were all going on about how good Walsh is going to be....now he is gone we are saying that he is gonna be a dud :lol: :lol:

Sainter for life.
hayes66
Club Player

Spud wrote:
micthomas1 wrote:As someone posted earlier "Richmond will be spewing they only got pick 79 for Morton" who is 24 and has played 50+ games of ALF and kicked 88 goals. Yes it is a shame we did not get to see Tommy play a senior game for the saints, but pick 35 and 68 for a rookie is not bad compensation for someone who is untried at the elite level.
Stop making sense!
That doesnt make sense. I actually think morton does have some talent, but his played 50 games and isnt good enough to make "RICHMONDS" team. RICHMOND for gods sake, they would have cut him if he didnt get traded they dont rate him, he cant get a game. The fact his played 50 games is an argument against him because after 50 games his proved he cant make it in their team. Walsh being untried doesnt mean he has no value, it means his an unknown, we dont know if his good enough. You can only judge it on the evidence there is and the evidence there is is that he was considered the best young talent from gaelic football who has so far taken to our game very well. He is of far greater value than morton. Andrew Mcqualter has played 50 league games and if we had of got pick 79 for him Id be doing backflips. People at richmond couldnt give a stuff whats happended to morton, his played 50 games and they dont rate him. People at stkilda will hope like buggery walsh turns out no good because they are unsure about what they may have just given up. HUGE difference. Just because a bloke has played at AFL level doesnt mean he was good enough, I value someone who hasnt proved anything at afl yet because he may be very good at AFL level.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Freak out..it's worse than the carbon tax..sack the board.. we lost a 2nds player who wanted to move to Sydney where he preferred the beach lifestyle!!!
He's gonna need all those dollars to load up on the SPF50+ :P

santazzi
Club Player

Hammer wrote:Ross the Toss bag list destroyer!

Your legacy lives on and I hope Freo are having a good look at their future!
I have this strong and personal feeling that Walsh's departure may have more to do with his Irish mate TK who retired from the Swans a few weeks ago. If memory serves me right, as they say in Iron Chef, TK had expressed a desire to manage Irish players....help them integrate into the world of footy etc etc...........It may well be that Walsh may end up on his books.........

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

It's funny how the 5 stages of grief work.

I'm already at step 5 - Acceptance, and I've accepted that another messiah is just around the corner.

:)

Good riddance scab!

Come to think of it, I might still be at stage 2 - Anger

Turd.

:cry:

sainterinsydney
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:If our recruiters do their job properly and use pick 35 prudently, we will get a better player than Walsh in the draft. And that is not speculation or clairvoyancy - as Steven J Peake would say.
+2

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We had the 13th best pick in 2008.....and after 3 years of development that got us Pick 37....maybe after 3 years of developing pick 37 we can get Pick 59 in the 2014 draft...

Backing our recruiting.....not something I would do with confidence