Walsh Gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hayes66
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:If our recruiters do their job properly and use pick 35 prudently, we will get a better player than Walsh in the draft. And that is not speculation or clairvoyancy - as Steven J Peake would say.
I base that on this - we have the 35th pick to select any player in Australia that we like. The entire country. If our recruiters can't pick someone better than Walsh from all the players from all the leagues, from all over the country then they should not be recruiters.
We just have to back them in and hope that the coaching staff will develop them properly.
+2
well no there are 600 of the best talented players in the country unavailable to be picked but even if they were you dont know how good tommy walsh is or will be so how can you say its a fail if they dont pick someone better than walsh. Walsh might be wayne carey and at pick 35 we get we get nick riewoldt, have the recruiters failed then? From reports its a week draft and we dont know how good walsh will be. Only time will tell on this decision.

jays
Club Player

very sad

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We had the 13th best pick in 2008.....and after 3 years of development that got us Pick 37....maybe after 3 years of developing pick 37 we can get Pick 59 in the 2014 draft...

Backing our recruiting.....not something I would do with confidence
Yeah shocking. Sam Fisher pick 55, Jimmy Gwilt 63, Leigh Montanga 37

:roll:

Schneider, and Dempster for very high dps

Lynch was a poor pick #13. Lynch is as slow as a wet week and should have been probably what we have got at about #37.

Walsh was a rookie that we couldn't match with the $$. You wanted us to get nothing for him?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
busso mick
Club Player

BigMart wrote:We had the 13th best pick in 2008.....and after 3 years of development that got us Pick 37....maybe after 3 years of developing pick 37 we can get Pick 59 in the 2014 draft...

We have made some dubious first round selections, but you have to admit we have snared some good late choices ... Sam Fisher and Arron Siposs spring to mind.

kaos theory
Club Player

Well, for the first time we have a decent operator in charge of the list - Pelchen.

In previous yrs (2004-2007) we had horrible recruiting program. Purely hit and miss guesses & hunches, very little resources and planning.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:When we gave up our first round pick for Lovett we were assured by Matthew Drain that we needn't worry about that as Tommy 'The Messiah' Walsh was the equivalent of a first round draft pick. Well that first round draft pick just walked out on us for pick 35. Yet another unforgivable stuff up by a club that has been in crisis since 5.00pm on Grand Final Day 2010.
what utter cr*p.

Walsh decided to go, read what the saints hacve to say.

he was offered more money and a guarrentee of numerous games for sydney.

Who knows if Matthew drain was right.

at least we got drasft picks instead of nothing!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He did such an awesome job at Hawthorn.....They won a flag by doing what we did....spending three years tanking at the bottom.....loading up on draft picks so high it was like shooting fish in a barrel

getting them to 50 games asap whilst getting more picks in the process..

Dowler, Thorpe, Muston and Co......

The guy maybe OK or better....but he aint no guru....there is no such thing...

hayes66
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:

Well, for the first time we have a decent operator in charge of the list - Pelchen.

In previous yrs (2004-2007) we had horrible recruiting program. Purely hit and miss guesses & hunches, very little resources and planning.
I like that you put down 2004-07, most people argue the last few years have been poor (I agree tom lynch hasnt proven the best pick) but I think 07 and 10 have been good. I think we have been most let down by almost 2002 and on drafts where we have been completely hit or miss and wasted early picks but struck lucky with late picks. The success of our stars has masked these drafts and it only now that they are ageing that all of a sudden people are blaming our selections over the last few years but if you look at each draft it has been poor since 2002.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Siposs, Ledger, Cripps and Lenny Hayes are going to make a heck of a difference next year.
If the forgotten man, Rhys Stanley, can get a full pre-season under his belt and focus he could be another Everitt too.
Don't know about Cahill, Archer or Johnson. But if they play regularly they could go okay.
I think the problems with the youth on our list is more about list management than recruiting.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Another legacy of Ross Lyon. We brought this kid all the way from Ireland, tried him forward, tried him back, opportunities presented themselves and still wouldn't give him a game. Unforgivable! Thank God Ross has gone.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Just to add, I think Tommy will really make us regret not giving him an opportunity. He'll most certainly shine.
Yep, I'm afraid you are right. F****** Lyin'
How many times have you seen him play BC? By the way its about maoney and not 2 games at the end of the year.
I've seen him play enough to know that he'll make it. Even worse, he's exactly what we need ... a strong-bodied forward (who can KICK) to help Riewoldt out.
Also if there's a club that seems to nurture Irish talent, it's Sydney. Just watch him come sailing over the top of one Zac Dawson to steal a match winning mark. I can see it now :(

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

St. Luke wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Just to add, I think Tommy will really make us regret not giving him an opportunity. He'll most certainly shine.
Yep, I'm afraid you are right. F****** Lyin'
How many times have you seen him play BC? By the way its about maoney and not 2 games at the end of the year.
I've seen him play enough to know that he'll make it. Even worse, he's exactly what we need ... a strong-bodied forward (who can KICK) to help Riewoldt out.
Also if there's a club that seems to nurture Irish talent, it's Sydney. Just watch him come sailing over the top of one Zac Dawson to steal a match winning mark. I can see it now :(
Dawson won't be wearing a St Kilda jumper so who cares.

Red
Club Player

I wish Tommy well, however watching all of the reserves games this year,

he wasn't the standout people in this forum believe he was.

Still I hope he has a successful career with the swans.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Yeah shocking. Sam Fisher pick 55, Jimmy Gwilt 63, Leigh Montanga 37

Lynch was a poor pick #13. Lynch is as slow as a wet week and should have been probably what we have got at about #37.
McQualter (twice), Ackland, McGough, Watts, Eddy (twice) Rix, Sweeney, Raymond, Howard (twice), Matthew Ferguson (twice), Connors, Heyne, Begley, Lovett, Pattison, C.Gardiner, Cahill, J.Smith, Gamble and Polo say hi.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
barks4eva wrote:The club should have had him signed up mid year knowing he would be out of contract at the end of the year!

Absolute stuff up!
They tried. Not giving him games he deserved during the year really f***ed things up.
This. Extremely disappointing result for 4 years of effort and energy. What a f*** up. This sort of s*** wouldn't happen at a really well run and competent club.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Yeah shocking. Sam Fisher pick 55, Jimmy Gwilt 63, Leigh Montanga 37

McQualter (twice), Ackland, McGough, Watts, Eddy (twice) Rix, Sweeney, Raymond, Howard (twice), Matthew Ferguson (twice), Connors, Heyne, Begley, Lovett, Pattison, C.Gardiner, Cahill, J.Smith, Gamble and Polo say hi.
thats a whole side in itself 24 players,

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:

I'm pretty sure you could produce just as "impressive" a list from any other team in the AFL.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

I'm pretty sure you could produce just as "impressive" a list from any other team in the AFL.
Yeah, but where would be the fun in that? :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Thats right no other AFL team has delisted a player in the four years of that list :roll:

Even Polo and Gamble were very high dps, and played OK in the seniors. Eddy played in GF's, Ferguson was cruelled by injure, as was Watts.

But no just look at some duds that ALL clubs select.

yes our selections have been so bad we only managed four PF's and three GFs in the past four years.

FFS :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:yes our selections have been so bad we only managed four PF's and three GFs in the past four years.

Our era of 'success' came about because our horrible performance (and decent recruiting) from 99-2002. Hayes, Blake, Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi, Penny, Dal Santo, Hamill, Gehrig, Powell, Ball, Maguire, Montagna and Goddard were largely recruited in the space of a few years and along with a few 90's champs formed the nucleus of a very good team. Unfortunately we're still relying on the remnants of that same group to hold the club together along with a bunch of recycled hacks and a few rare decent pickups from the past 6 years.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

over it
blokes gone
change the ss banner

looking forward to the draft
good luck tommy
as long as you do F*** all against us :?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:over it
blokes gone
change the ss banner

looking forward to the draft
good luck tommy
as long as you do F*** all against us :?
At least we've spent 2 years learning all his weaknesses 8-) :( 8-) :( 8-) :(

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:yes our selections have been so bad we only managed four PF's and three GFs in the past four years.

Our era of 'success' came about because our horrible performance (and decent recruiting) from 99-2002. Hayes, Blake, Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi, Penny, Dal Santo, Hamill, Gehrig, Powell, Ball, Maguire, Montagna and Goddard were largely recruited in the space of a few years and along with a few 90's champs formed the nucleus of a very good team. Unfortunately we're still relying on the remnants of that same group to hold the club together along with a bunch of recycled hacks and a few rare decent pickups from the past 6 years.
Unfortunately you are 100% correct. :(

Look at the age brackets of our best 22, and it proves it.