Salary Cap

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

Salary Cap

Heard on SEN this morning that we are over the Salary Cap still even after Trade Week. I don't understand how this can happen. The club knows what the Salary Cap is and has for a long period of time. If we needed to off load players why didn't we. Now we are inline to lose players who are unsigned in the pre-season draft for nothing. Guys like Ray, Peake, Dawson and Blake who wwe have no replacements for are likely to be asked to play for nothing while a few blokes play for everything. I don't know who was responsible for this current situation of back ended contracts but Brian Waldron has been gone for years so we can't go back and blame the rat. Turns out our negotiators have no idea. Not sure how our club got to this but once again it seems our club has taken the individual first approach which has served us so well.

I am really disapointed in the preformance of Micheal Nettlefold. From what we see in the public he is indecisive and has presided over the end of an era without ever looking into the development of the list. He lost a coach who many consider the best (not me). He has presided over consecutive financial losses. Has taken the club to Seaford despite everybody thinking it was a bad idea while many other clubs have been able to redevelope there actual home base. I'm not sure how he has had his contract renewed

saintlee
Club Player

Archie Fraser took us to Seaford not Nettlefold.

And of course we have salary cap pressure, we only traded out one rookie and one 6 gamer... we are going to have to delist players and re-sign some on reduced contracts.

We aren't the only club with salary cap pressure, so don't worry about it, the club will sort it out.

NoMore
Club Player

Sorry i didn't realise about Archie thank you for clearing that up. I realise that we will get out of it but we shouldn't be in it. Our list is on the decline and our salary is on the rise

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Salary Cap

NoMore wrote:
I am really disapointed in the preformance of Micheal Nettlefold. From what we see in the public he is indecisive and has presided over the end of an era without ever looking into the development of the list. He lost a coach who many consider the best (not me). He has presided over consecutive financial losses. Has taken the club to Seaford despite everybody thinking it was a bad idea while many other clubs have been able to redevelope there actual home base. I'm not sure how he has had his contract renewed
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about the list management (and I think Matthew Drain is the person who should be taking a lot of the blame), you are inaccurate about Nettlefold in a few ways:

- The Saints made a $2m profit last year, and a $200k profit the year before
- Archie Fraser made the decision to move to Seaford and construction was underway by the time Nettlefold became CEO. He had nothing to do with it.
- Nettlefold is not directly responsible for the development of the list - but clearly he recognised we have a weakness in this area, so he brought in Chris Pelchen. Great move from the CEO to get someone into the club to address an area of concern.
- The question of whether Nettlefold 'lost' Lyon or not is very subjective. We will never really know, but if you read Nathan Burke's article from Inside Football, it's pretty clear that the Board were being as dilligent as you would reasonably expect in keeping Lyon.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
NoMore wrote:
Whilst I agree with your sentiment about the list management (and I think Matthew Drain is the person who should be taking a lot of the blame), you are inaccurate about Nettlefold in a few ways:

- Archie Fraser made the decision to move to Seaford and construction was underway by the time Nettlefold became CEO. He had nothing to do with it.
- Nettlefold is not directly responsible for the development of the list - but clearly he recognised we have a weakness in this area, so he brought in Chris Pelchen. Great move from the CEO to get someone into the club to address an area of concern.
- The question of whether Nettlefold 'lost' Lyon or not is very subjective. We will never really know, but if you read Nathan Burke's article from Inside Football, it's pretty clear that the Board were being as dilligent as you would reasonably expect in keeping Lyon.
The losing of the coach may well prove to be a godsend :wink:

NoMore
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Legendary wrote:
NoMore wrote:

The losing of the coach may well prove to be a godsend :wink:
Agreed

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Makes you wonder how we are going to even remotely get close to the GWS bid for BJ next year, I reckon they wouldn't have even bothered trying to get him this year, just a waste of their high picks, when next year they can roll out the suitcase of cash and not lose a single pick…

There won't be a whole lot of retirees next year unless forced, and if we can't even afford Dawson & Ray at the moment, how on earth are we going to pay for BJ - plus I'm sure quite a few of our rising stars will be due for a pay rise, yikes…

Our top 10-paid players must be getting way over what we can actually afford unless they want to play alongside rookies in order to pay for their lofty wages. Our quest to secure all of our stars is set to back-fire on us big time. Guys like Milne might have to retire next year just so we can hold onto our emerging talent.

The cats lost the best player in the league, yet went onto win their 3rd flag, plus their compensation is still to come - the father-son years roll on…

:(
Last edited by dragit on Tue 18 Oct 2011 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I really don't understand the hysteria surrounding the salary cap.

Nearly every time this has happened to an AFL club they've had to lose a star. We are not losing a star. Goddard, Riewoldt, Hayes, Fisher, Montagna, Milne, Dal Santo, Gilbert and Gwilt will all be in Saints colours in 2012. We've also managed to hold on to all the kids who've actually shown something at AFL level. This a tremendous effort by the club.

Backended contracts are very common, particularly at successful clubs that aim to keep their core players together. It's a managable situation and it's helped us retain the players that achieved one of the successful onfield periods in the club's history.

If role players and fringe players like Ray, Dawson, Clarke, Peake, etc believe they can get more elsewhere, then good luck to them, the club would love to keep them, but we won't go backwards without them.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Makes you wonder how we are going to even remotely get close to the GWS bid for BJ next year, I reckon they wouldn't have even bothered trying to get him this year, just a waste of their high picks, when next year they can roll out the suitcase of cash and not lose a single pick…

There won't be a whole lot of retirees next year unless forced, and if we can't even afford Dawson & Ray at the moment, how on earth are we going to pay for BJ - plus I'm sure quite a few of our rising stars will be due for a pay rise, yikes…

Our top 10-paid players must be getting way over what we can actually afford unless they want to play alongside rookies in order to pay for their lofty wages. Our quest to secure all of our stars is set to back-fire on us big time. Guys like Milne might have to retire next year just so we can hold onto our emerging talent.

The cats lost the best player in the league, yet when onto win their 3rd flag, plus their compensation is still to come - the father-son years roll on…

That comment is a slap in the face to BJ's loyalty to the Club..not every player (ahem or coach) just takes the cash and runs.

Lets just see how the next 12 months pan out eh?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:That comment is a slap in the face to BJ's loyalty to the Club..not every player (ahem or coach) just takes the cash and runs.

Really?

He would be a very loyal person to accept half of what GWS are offering to stay with us, everyone has a price…

This situation is unprecedented, Ablett, Scully & Ward really had no choice I think. BJ may be the same, I don't expect any person who has a 10 - 12 year career to ignore offers like that…

If we can't afford to hold onto a promising rookie, I just wonder how on earth we are going to get close to the impending Giants bid for Goddard, there is a very good reason why they have front-ended their contracts to Scully and Ward - so they can throw everything at Pendlebury, Goddard & Co.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
dragit wrote:Makes you wonder how we are going to even remotely get close to the GWS bid for BJ next year, I reckon they wouldn't have even bothered trying to get him this year, just a waste of their high picks, when next year they can roll out the suitcase of cash and not lose a single pick…

The cats lost the best player in the league, yet when onto win their 3rd flag, plus their compensation is still to come - the father-son years roll on…

That comment is a slap in the face to BJ's loyalty to the Club..not every player (ahem or coach) just takes the cash and runs.

look we we won't be able to keep goddard if he goes for the money.
but we will get 2 first round draft picks if h decides to run for the money.

we won't be able to compete.

Please let us not have the same hysteria that happend with Ablett all year.

if he goes, he goes. he will be in a bottom side for 3-4 years before being in finals.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saint66au wrote:

look we we won't be able to keep goddard if he goes for the money.
but we will get 2 first round draft picks if h decides to run for the money.

we won't be able to compete.

Please let us not have the same hysteria that happend with Ablett all year.

if he goes, he goes. he will be in a bottom side for 3-4 years before being in finals.
Exactly.

All we can do is make him a realistic offer taking all factors into account, including our financial position and the salary cap.

If GWS go stupid, and BJ is unable to resist, then so be it. We're in enough trouble already with big fat contracts.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:…We're in enough trouble already with big fat contracts.
Exactly, we might be able to keep BJ on some ridiculous contract, but then lose more rising stars in the process…

defacto
Club Player

reiwoldt will be on the veteran list in 2013 so it might help relieve some of the salary cap. but i think the odds are against us in securing goddard if it comes down to money for him.

our best hope is watters rejuvenates him and he enjoys his footy and is willing to give up the extra $$$

SideshowMilne
Club Player

quick one for the more learned?

If Walsh had been given a game late, is there a chance his elevation would have put uis over for 2011? Thus why he didn't play?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sydney assistant coaches Leigh Tudor and Peter Berbakov have both worked at St Kilda with Walsh in recent seasons and were enthusiastic about his potential and versatility.

Losing Walsh, and Tom Lynch earlier in trade week, did little to ease the Saints’ salary cap pressure as neither player was on significant money.

The Saints had been prepared to entertain a trade for any one of a large number of players who were still out of contract, but other clubs had no interest in them.

The Saints will now have to negotiate new contracts on lower terms or lose players to fit in the salary cap.

Senior players Zac Dawson, Brett Peake, Raph Clarke, Farren Ray, Ryan Gamble and Dean Polo are all out of contract. Ray is believed to be prepared to play for less next year, and Dawson, Peake or Clarke appear most vulnerable.

Watters will meet Robert Harvey today about his role at the club. The Saints legend was disappointed to miss out on the senior coaching position and, despite being contracted for two more years, was reconsidering his future.

Meanwhile, St Kilda has appointed Terry Dillon from Hawthorn as its new chief operating officer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z1b5tqvW65

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

It's hard to see another club going for Clarke or Blake.

Any of Peake, Polo, Dawson, Ray and Dempster could be out the door.

Is Gamble signed up?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
kaos theory
Club Player

NoMore wrote: Has taken the club to Seaford despite everybody thinking it was a bad idea while many other clubs have been able to redevelope there actual home base. I'm not sure how he has had his contract renewed
Can we drop this BS & propaganda once and for ALL!

FFS, how many times do people need to be told?

He had only ONE other choice for our training base. ONE!...and guess where that was? Is wasn't the Treasury Gardens in the city, it wasn't the junction oval....it was Cranbourne! Do you get it????

Woud you rather we went there? How does that fit with our supporter base???

We do not have $100s of millions to push around councils to get our way and set up a training centre wherever we like.

Jeez! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

When does Rooey become a veteran or is he already?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote:When does Rooey become a veteran or is he already?
Anyone?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Anyone?
2013 I think. Misses next year by a couple of weeks i think.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Anyone?
think it is 2013…

2 on the veterans at a time

AFAIK - you need to be 30 or over at the start of the year and spent 10 years on the primary list

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I think Gamble is gone, unfortunately I can't see a spot for him. especially if Sipposs comes on.
The sad fact about our lack of scoring ability in 2011 is that Gamble was probably in our top 10 goal kickers.
I was hoping a new club might give him a new lease of life, but no.
Raph may be in danger too because his position can be covered by others and his inconsistency. I really wished he had become the player he could be.
Dawson, well we need a full back, Ray has been a good consistent player, Polo, well ther is a ? for him as well.
Clubs de list players all the time, Geelong has been dropping their fringe players over the last few years due to salary cap.
Schneider and Dempster came to us due to salary cap.
There will be those who will cheer de listings and those who will be upset.
However, with the exception of Dawson due to being a key position player, I can't see any of those players getting better contracts elsewhere.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.