Rob Harvey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Rob Harvey on SEN

Thought he spoke fantasticly. Wants to coach. Want to get rid of the nice guy perception and for people to take him seriously. HE WANTS TO COACH. Thinks he can do it now.

Loves the club. That was obvious. He will be back!

Re: Rob Harvey on SEN

8856brother wrote:Thought he spoke fantasticly. Wants to coach. Want to get rid of the nice guy perception and for people to take him seriously. HE WANTS TO COACH. Thinks he can do it now.

Why will ge be back?

If, in the future, he's behind the pack maybe he'll never be back.

But determination is something Harvs has by the truckload.

Maybe it's a case of "watch this space".

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
8856brother wrote:Thought he spoke fantasticly. Wants to coach. Want to get rid of the nice guy perception and for people to take him seriously. HE WANTS TO COACH. Thinks he can do it now.

Why will ge be back?

If, in the future, he's behind the pack maybe he'll never be back.

But determination is something Harvs has by the truckload.

Maybe it's a case of "watch this space".
Because he loves the club. I got the feeling from his comments that he would love to coach St Kilda.

Danny Frawley loved the club as well but never made it back, well thus far.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Hence going to the Pies :P

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Only problem I had was at the very end, question was something along the lines of "could you see yourself at Freo with Ross Lyin' in 2012??"

Answer was "I haven't ruled anything out as yet"

When it should have been "I won't be going there, Freo & Ross knifed the club I love, so they can get......." (and then dead air!!)

Harvey's standing around the Saints will diminish significantly if he heads west with that scumbag.

saintsdisco

Yes people have been known never to return from the dark side ala Frawley. We must pray for Sir Robert's Safe return. God Speed Sir Robert.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Harvey's standing around the Saints will diminish significantly if he heads west with that scumbag.
I wouldn't say that. He's arguably the club's greatest player. He's given himself to our cause, almost nothing he does from here could diminish it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Only problem I had was at the very end, question was something along the lines of "could you see yourself at Freo with Ross Lyin' in 2012??"

Answer was "I haven't ruled anything out as yet"

When it should have been "I won't be going there, Freo & Ross knifed the club I love, so they can get......." (and then dead air!!)

Harvey's standing around the Saints will diminish significantly if he heads west with that scumbag.
I think he was quite clear on the fact that Ross had left a great legacy at St Kilda and that he learnt a fair bit from him. He was surprised he left but why would he bag bag him?

The fact he left nearly got Banger the job.

Club Player

I listened to most of the SEN interview with Harves.
He seemed to be saying he felt he was in too much of a comfort zone at St Kilda. That he wouldn't be challenged and develop unless he went somewhere where they weren't so 'fond' of him (as Francis Leach put it), where the perceptions of him weren't so set.
It sort of makes sense to me -- as a positive reason.
I still feel there must be a little more to it, negatively, to make him move. I still can't believe there wasn't lots of opportunity for him to develop at St Kilda too, (especially when nearly all the places are gone at the other clubs).

bergsone
SS Life Member

He said exactly what we wanted to hear
He said exactly what he wanted to say

Good times ahead for him IMO

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Heard most of the interview. Re-inforced my view that the man is ALL CLASS !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Moolie
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Heard most of the interview. Re-inforced my view that the man is ALL CLASS !!
Now can people please stop calling him a sook?

couplesoddy51

I would like all Saints supporters to acknowledge Robert Harvey's reason for leaving the club, saying he loves the club dearly, and by increasing his knowledge of coaching with a different club with one day hoping to come back and coach in his own right, shows truly what a club champion and a great person he really is. He loves the club with a passion and we should all wish him well. Robert Harvey you are the epitome of a St Kilda great and a true champion

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moolie wrote:
Eastern wrote:Heard most of the interview. Re-inforced my view that the man is ALL CLASS !!
Now can people please stop calling him a sook?
+1, and then some.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

The idea that Harvs left to get rid of the nice guy perception was just spin by Francis Leach putting words in Harv's mouth. They were not Harvs' words. Unlike some media types, Harvs never was - and never will be - obsessed with his own image.

No amount of spin can disguise the fact that Harvs feels hurt - extremely so. And anyone who calls him a sook for that reason is a moron. I notice Harvs mentioned that his reason for returning to the club was "the whole package that came with Ross Lyon". To me that suggests he felt respected by the club's decision under Ross to groom him to take over as Senior Coach - a feeling which no longer applies.

Anyone who thinks that being assistant to a rookie coach at Collingwood provides vastly superior experience to being an assistant to a rookie coach at St Kilda is kidding themselves.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Classy individual......no doubt my idol

gentleman, champion.....star

markp
Saintsational Legend

What I heard him say was that he doesn't think he was taken seriously as a potential senior coach at the club, he then blamed himself for perception... which was both disappointing and heartbreaking to hear.

He is also obviously seriously considering an offer from freo, as he wouldn't rule it out, and he must have a short list of offers this late in the game... maybe even a short list of one.

The man has the makings of a fine coach, the club should've made every resource available to him in this quest, and given him every belief and confidence that he can and will make it... but it obviously did not.

Maybe Lyon or Buckley will.

Good luck Harvs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still think he wouldn't of been back had he not got the call from Ross, he helped us out, so club is letting back out there to help him out.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still think he wouldn't of been back had he not got the call from Ross, he helped us out, so club is letting back out there to help him out.
When in doubt, blame Ross? :wink:

I knew it was his fault somehow!

But what's the spin going to be if he goes to freo?

Ross felt guilty/sorry for him?

I just heard Harvs give the man a massive wrap, along with the playing group and new coach going forward... but not mention the board or ceo once.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still think he wouldn't of been back had he not got the call from Ross, he helped us out, so club is letting back out there to help him out.
I kinda got that feel as well a bit like when GT got sacked how he came out and said he was defiantly not retiring it was for the benefit of the club at the time ... Ross had lost every assistant we had just come off a grand final loss and we were hurting so Harves again came to our rescue in the time of need now we have survived the Lyon departure and are excited by the Watters future it's time for Harves to look after him self

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
When in doubt, blame Ross? :wink:

I knew it was his fault somehow!

But what's the spin going to be if he goes to freo?

Ross felt guilty/sorry for him?

I just heard Harvs give the man a massive wrap, along with the playing group and new coach going forward... but not mention the board or ceo once.
Not really blaming him.

Just saying my read from the interview was that Rob knew he should be out there learning the craft, probably not back at St Kilda helping out his old coach.

The way he painted it, Ross leaving actually helps him further this ambition in the big wide world that is the AFL.

Oh, and all the senior guys will probably give Ross a massive wrap when asked, there has been no questions that he treated them poorly. :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Ross had lost every assistant we had just come off a grand final loss and we were hurting so Harves again came to our rescue in the time of need now we have survived the Lyon departure and are excited by the Watters future it's time for Harves to look after him self
Thanks Trav, I have to say Mark was making me paranoid that I was muddying it up because of an anti RL agenda :wink:
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 21 Oct 2011 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's great to hear all the positives for a great Saint.

I listened to the interview and got the feeling that Harves found out the hard way from the interview process, that he had a long way to go to get the No. 1 gig. He found that he had a few things to look at within himself and that would be best achieved by moving elsewhere, away from the comfort zone.

After 350+ games, a couple of Brownlows, 2 years at Carlton and one at the Saints, coaching, he must clearly know his footy "stuff" and what's required to make it to the top in AFL. Unfortunately, his communication and confidence didn't impress me that as yet, he has what it takes to be a great Coach - but what would I know !!