Hard working Terry Milera shapes up for St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hard working Terry Milera shapes up for St Kilda

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6173922581

The fleet-footed wingman with silky skills on both sides of his body and an outstanding leap is heading to the Saints to be part of new coach Scott Watters' reign.

But it has been a long and, at times, arduous road.

When he began working with Wanganeen last summer, Milera was skinny, unfocused and had a questionable workrate.

So the duo hit the gym.

"The first few months we were just in the gym doing squats because Gavin said the thing that made him such a successful player was the power in his legs," Milera said. His squat soon improved from 70kg to 110kg and his weight beefed up from 68kg to 78kg.

"I noticed I had more power in my legs to get to more contests and once I got the ball, I could run with it more," Milera said.

Wanganeen had never worked one-on-one with a young footballer before, but he knew what had made him successful as a player.

"There's certain areas they need to be really good, whether it be physically and also skill-wise," Wanganeen said.

St Kilda recruiting manager Tony Elshaug was one to notice Milera's improvement.

Having scouted his younger brother Tim the year before, Elshaug was already aware of Milera's talent; he just needed to see consistency.

And that's exactly what Milera produced, capping his season with a sparkling five-goal performance against Glenelg in Round 22.

"It certainly does help to see that performance that makes you go 'wowee'," Elshaug said.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Please hit the weights and hit them again and again.

(For people who have had the pleasure of meeting me) know that I am not the biggest guy in the world however I weigh more than him and can bench and squat more....geez and he is on our list?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If he is to play speed little wingman, not sure he needs to bulk up significantly.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If he is to play speed little wingman, not sure he needs to bulk up significantly.

then get a hundred games into him and hope that he has a dozen kids with wanganeen's little sister....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
defacto
Club Player

stinger wrote:
SainterK wrote:If he is to play speed little wingman, not sure he needs to bulk up significantly.

then get a hundred games into him and hope that he has a dozen kids with wanganeen's little sister....
i like your thinking. do you think wanganeen would make a decent development coach?

elizabethr
Club Player

stinger wrote:

Does he even have a sister?

nothing to say
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

And make sure they are boys....

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

His brother is small but might be worth a look for a rookie spot. Great skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNi3_LiRXl0

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

HitTheBoundary wrote:His brother is small but might be worth a look for a rookie spot. Great skills.

Got delisted from Adelaide this year, is lazy and doesnt want it enough.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
The Adelaide Football Club and rookie player Tim Milera have come to a mutual agreement to allow Tim to finish with the Club immediately.

Both parties have come to the realisation that although Tim has exceptional football talent, the physical requirements to compete at AFL level were beyond his capabilities at the moment.

General Manager of Football Operations Phil Harper said: “Tim has been struggling with the training rigours for a few months now and despite trying to adjust his schedule for better results we have come to a mutual decision that he doesn’t have the drive to train at the required level at this time in his life.â€

PJ
SS Life Member

Kicking skills on both sides - ya gotta hope this guy comes on.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Kicking skills on both sides - ya gotta hope this guy comes on.
Sounds like Wanganern has sold him the dream.

At least Ross is not still around to "walsh" it :wink:

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

I love these articles, brings hope and excitement for the season ahead.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman commented :
Sounds like Wanganern has sold him the dream.

At least Ross is not still around to "walsh" it
Good one Doc !

savatage
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:Please hit the weights and hit them again and again.

(For people who have had the pleasure of meeting me) know that I am not the biggest guy in the world however I weigh more than him and can bench and squat more....geez and he is on our list?
How much does he bench??

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Haha 'walsh' it. That term made me giggle. :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:His brother is small but might be worth a look for a rookie spot. Great skills.

Stylish little bugger, he gathers the ball beautifully, heard he has question marks over his commitment to the training though. Big shame.

elizabethr
Club Player

Wont't last long under any AFL clubs training regime if he is not totally comited to the gut-busting training required.

nothing to say
Hammer
Club Player

Maybe playing with his brother at the top level might be the motivation he needs???

Bring back the Hammer!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hammer wrote:Maybe playing with his brother at the top level might be the motivation he needs???
seeing his brother come good might re motivate him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Good one Dr. S. You have just added a new colloquiallism to the Aussie Lexicon. From now on to "Walsh" someone means to crush all hopes and dreams they have after promising them your full support. This term will resonate with so many people. Unfortunately it will probably resonate mostly with saints supporters!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Good one Dr. S. You have just added a new colloquiallism to the Aussie Lexicon. From now on to "Walsh" someone means to crush all hopes and dreams they have after promising them your full support. This term will resonate with so many people. Unfortunately it will probably resonate mostly with saints supporters!
I'm hoping in the future it refers to the over hyping of someone's ability.

Perhaps don't walsh him - don't build him up beyond anything he is capable of.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Anyone else noticed Milera's reported weight has gone from 71kg (Saints' web site) to 78kg (this article)? That's a bit of beefing-up in a short space of time!

Reminds me of the Summer where Kosi grew 5 cm's when he was 21 years of age - surely that one defied the laws of biology!

savatage
SS Life Member

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Anyone else noticed Milera's reported weight has gone from 71kg (Saints' web site) to 78kg (this article)? That's a bit of beefing-up in a short space of time!

Reminds me of the Summer where Kosi grew 5 cm's when he was 21 years of age - surely that one defied the laws of biology!
He would've been 71kg at last years draft camp most likely. Those stats are old, rarely updated & rarely accurate.

Most of the heights & weights on the St.Kilda (and most club's) websites are nowhere near the actual mark.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Anyone else noticed Milera's reported weight has gone from 71kg (Saints' web site) to 78kg (this article)? That's a bit of beefing-up in a short space of time!

Too many pies :shock: