Watters coaching style different to Lyon's

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sydney saint
Club Player

Watters coaching style different to Lyon's

I know it is too early to tell but just wondering how other forum members thought how Watters coaching style or gameplan would differ to Lyon's ? Also how how he might go about combatting other teams triple teaming on Riewoldt ? Maybe someone has knowledge of how he coached when he was coaching Subiaco in the WAFL might have some idea of what Watter's coaching style maybe like. I am impresed by his communication skills. I hope it is a good sign for the Saints.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Watters has already said he wants to be attacking and exciting while maintaining a solid defense. I support that 100%. You might find he will incorperate some of the tactics and gameplans used at Collingwood.

I would prefer to play exciting footy every week and loose the occasional shoot out than win 7 goals to 5 every week.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters coaching style different to Lyon's

The recruiment of Saad and Milera indicates that we'll be looking at more avenues to goal than previously.

That's got to be good, but I also think we need to find another genuine key forward (not a second ruck like Kosi) to remove the crippling focus on Riewoldt.

This is why the loss of Walsh was a blow and the delisting/trading of others such as Lynch and Johnson puzzling.

For me I'd have no problem with using Goddard at chf next season alternating with Riewoldt at ff.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

An attacking game plan with solid defence is hardly an original idea... He's not really saying anything

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its different??!

no way!!!!
whats the odds?????

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:The recruiment of Saad and Milera indicates that we'll be looking at more avenues to goal than previously.

That's got to be good, but I also think we need to find another genuine key forward (not a second ruck like Kosi) to remove the crippling focus on Riewoldt.

This is why the loss of Walsh was a blow and the delisting/trading of others such as Lynch and Johnson puzzling.

For me I'd have no problem with using Goddard at chf next season alternating with Riewoldt at ff.
Why is the loss of Walsh a blow? It defies logic.

I love it how in the off season, any player with two arms and two legs has the potential to be an absolute game changing champion.

Some reality people.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Wont know until next year. Of course he is going to say what he said in regards to the game plan next year. He isint going to come out and say im going to go ultra defensive just like Ross Lyon, and he isint going to come out saying im dropping the defensive side of things and going all out attack.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
bigcarl wrote:The recruiment of Saad and Milera indicates that we'll be looking at more avenues to goal than previously.

I love it how in the off season, any player with two arms and two legs has the potential to be an absolute game changing champion.
ESome reality people.
It is a blow because he is a possible key position forward and possibly a very good one. We'll find out this season.

Unfortunately Lyin' didn't have the balls to try him out, happy to have Riewoldt tripple teamed and crunched every time we went forward.

But perhaps Watters has other options in mind to hold down a key forward position ... Like Goddard for example.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though both were taken prior to Watters being taken, and most likely would have been taken even if Lyon has stayed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Though both were taken prior to Watters being taken, and most likely would have been taken even if Lyon has stayed.
Ah, okay. Well I still reckon he'll want and employ more avenues to goal than we did in 2011 when we often relied on little Milney to kick us winning scores.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Ah, okay. Well I still reckon he'll want and employ more avenues to goal than we did in 2011 when we often relied on little Milney to kick us winning scores.
Watters has already stated that he wants multiple marking targets (I think 3)...so your reckon will be correct.

IMO he was going to have Walsh as one of them...or at least give him a shot at it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Watters has already stated that he wants multiple marking targets (I think 3)...so your reckon will be correct.

IMO he was going to have Walsh as one of them...or at least give him a shot at it.
Good. Bring it on.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hopefully he'll have a bit more of a clue about how to attack. our natural attacking game eroded over the lyon years. the guy didn't have a clue. would make a good assistant coach though.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

ESome reality people.
It is a blow because he is a possible key position forward and possibly a very good one. We'll find out this season.

Unfortunately Lyin' didn't have the balls to try him out, happy to have Riewoldt tripple teamed and crunched every time we went forward.

But perhaps Watters has other options in mind to hold down a key forward position ... Like Goddard for example.
Highly doubt that Walsh will be as good as you think. I doubt that any Irish player will be able to do what the very few other have done before them such as Stynes and Kenelley. They just do not have the skill level that is required to make it in this day and age of zoning and the press etc. If you don't understand that you don't understand the game.

We need BJ all over the ground. He would be a waste in a KP IMO.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

ESome reality people.

Highly doubt that Walsh will be as good as you think. I doubt that any Irish player will be able to do what the very few other have done before them such as Stynes and Kenelley. They just do not have the skill level that is required to make it in this day and age of zoning and the press etc. If you don't understand that you don't understand the game.

One would swear you have done a crash course at the academy of AFL coaching.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

ESome reality people.

One would swear you have done a crash course at the academy of AFL coaching.
Well it helps if you have been going to watch the game 30 plus years but quite happy to read your views on the finer aspects of the game. It's actually not rocket science.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

ESome reality people.

Well let's see how someone who counts, such as the new coach, thinks.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

As above

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it can be summed up by a hypothetical. If Walsh had have stayed, I reckon Watters would have played him, if for no other reason than to see IF he could play.

Lyon stuck to what he understood, even if it meant subjecting his marquee player to almost humiliating underperformance, due mostly to a knee that required significant surgery at year's end.

Lyon let us die wondering, due to blinkered conservatism. That same conservatism has us unsure of what the next cabs off the rank might offer.

I think Watters will be different. He doesn't carry a siege paranoia, a background informed by his time at the last failed AFL club or monstrous gambling debts.

Lyon glues himself to the achievement elite. Watters will entertain opportunity for all.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
carnasaints55
Club Player

He wants to improve our attack and keep our defense good<--THE MAN IS A GENIUS! I'd say hes the first coach ever to realize that if your attack AND defense are good as opposed to one or the other, you'll win matches.

*sarcasm*

roo=god
jays
Club Player

lol

saint58
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:Watters has already said he wants to be attacking and exciting while maintaining a solid defense. I support that 100%. You might find he will incorperate some of the tactics and gameplans used at Collingwood.

I would prefer to play exciting footy every week and loose the occasional shoot out than win 7 goals to 5 every week.

BANG BANG

Are you for real you would rather be on the bottom of the ladder and kicking goals then sitting on top and playing in GFS!!!!

I have had to many years in the 80s and 90s on the bottom and getting spanked to agree with you sorry.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:Watters has already said he wants to be attacking and exciting while maintaining a solid defense. I support that 100%. You might find he will incorperate some of the tactics and gameplans used at Collingwood.

BANG BANG

Are you for real you would rather be on the bottom of the ladder and kicking goals then sitting on top and playing in GFS!!!!

I have had to many years in the 80s and 90s on the bottom and getting spanked to agree with you sorry.
\

Read it again.

I never said "on the bottom" I happen to be a kid of the 80's (born 81) primary school sucked most Mondays for me.

The word "occasional" is in there im pretty sure.........yep checked it again and its there. If you can find me saying finishing last and kicking goals is more preferable than playing in grand finals playing boring footy ill concede but its not there.

I am simply saying that I am sick and tired of watching backwards kicking, low scoring, high possession bulls*** football.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
gringo
Saintsational Legend

carnasaints55 wrote:He wants to improve our attack and keep our defense good<--THE MAN IS A GENIUS! I'd say hes the first coach ever to realize that if your attack AND defense are good as opposed to one or the other, you'll win matches.

*sarcasm*
Malthouse with scotty seemed to do a better version of saintsfooty. they hammered the goals keeping the motivation and enjoyment up while strangling the life out of opposition teams. quite possibly he has some good IP from the pies that he can use to model our game on.

saintsfreak
Club Player

I think the focus Watters has put on Stanley when talking up our youngsters means something. I think with the new coach, increased opportunities, an injury free season and the introduction of the academy could see him take a real step up and cement a spot in the 22.

The Freak