St Kilda's new player development boss to share power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's new player development boss to share power

Things continue to change post Lyon.

Perhaps this is the type of thing that Roos was banging on about re Ross not being able to stay on. Thankfully, Scott's now on board :D

"ST KILDA will hand unprecedented power to its new player development boss, giving him the same level of control as first-year coach Scott Watters.

The club's player academy director will work hand in glove with new coach Watters as they reinvigorate an older playing list....."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6188179441

FQF
SS Life Member

Things truly could not be better. A 180 degree turnaround in an exceptionally small period of time. You can't help but think this idea had been brewing for months and Ross was the only obstacle to its fruition.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I like the changes......keep them coming....the previous model didn't quite work...glad the club is not treading water...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Things truly could not be better. A 180 degree turnaround in an exceptionally small period of time. You can't help but think this idea had been brewing for months and Ross was the only obstacle to its fruition.
You might be on the money considering how seemingly swift the change in mantra/development ideology has changed.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lyon wouldn't accept this structure hence he's gone and to think that it only took Dawson to leave to fix St.Kilda's cap is pretty much a godsend.

Another opportunity awaits!
starsign
Club Player

Fantastic set-up
Next best thing to our own team in the VFL a la pies/cats
Maybe even better??
All for the cost of Lyin and Dawson...
Win Win WIN!

Faulky
Club Player

The reading of this and with the recent coaching appontments seems that the saints are meaning business which is great news for us supporters. The best thing will be the Academy and its development opportunities for the younger players - (pity Walshe didn't hang around to enjoy this opportunity). The changes are well over due and it is pleasing that we just might be the pioneers in this type of arrangement. :D :D

FOUNDATION Social Club Member!
Bono
Club Player

Believe it or not, Dawson is the player we can least afford to lose. I'm by no way a fa of his but we don't have anyone else to replace him. Should have made him the priority and been prepared to lose Peake or Clarke.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Will be very very interesting to see who is appointed into this role...

Clearly a very senior role, whilst also being a very new exciting role (something often used to lure big names).

So I would doubt they will appoint a relative nobody...

Paul Roos anybody???

Running his own academy up in Sydney at the moment, funded by the Swans (IIRC). THIS could be the role to really poach a big 'un!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:Will be very very interesting to see who is appointed into this role...

Clearly a very senior role, whilst also being a very new exciting role (something often used to lure big names).

Paul Roos anybody???

Running his own academy up in Sydney at the moment, funded by the Swans (IIRC). THIS could be the role to really poach a big 'un!
Well if this sort of set up and power sharing was part of the "untenable" conditions Roos said his mate Lyon was facing at St Kilda, I'd say not.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Will be very very interesting to see who is appointed into this role...

Paul Roos anybody???

Well if this sort of set up and power sharing was part of the "untenable" conditions Roos said his mate Lyon was facing at St Kilda, I'd say not.
Frawley?

saint4life
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I think the set up sounds great, and this part will be interesting;

"New development coach Simon McPhee will coach Sandringham, with the academy director to become his assistant coach on game day."

So his boss will be his assistant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Trying to look at it without my rose coloured glasses....

I guess much easier for a coach to walk in to a role with the understanding that this is how it's going to be, than an all controlling coach being told a few years in that everything was going to completely change.

Still think it's worked out the best for all involved.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Paul Roos anybody???

Frawley?
Given the lengths we went to in appointing Watters, and the fact this person will have equal billing, we should expect a similar thoroughness with this position.

I'm now standing by for a rather impressive announcement in the coming weeks. 8-)

saintlee
Club Player

The new step up sounds great, lets hope it works out well in practice.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Bono wrote:Believe it or not, Dawson is the player we can least afford to lose. I'm by no way a fa of his but we don't have anyone else to replace him. Should have made him the priority and been prepared to lose Peake or Clarke.
Blah blah blah. People keep trotting out this balony about Dawson. He's a VFL level footballer. He will get destroyed at the Shockers. 300k LOL

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
Bono wrote:Believe it or not, Dawson is the player we can least afford to lose. I'm by no way a fa of his but we don't have anyone else to replace him. Should have made him the priority and been prepared to lose Peake or Clarke.
Blah blah blah. People keep trotting out this balony about Dawson. He's a VFL level footballer. He will get destroyed at the Shockers. 300k LOL
Well you clearly have NFI.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Paul Roos anybody???

Surely things have changed dramatically since Ross left... So can't see it being as 'untenable' as it perhaps once was. Also, when Roos was coach at Sydney he really encouraged his assistants to share the duties with him. So much so that it was his idea to train and appoint Longmire once he had left.
Whilst Ross and Roos were good mates, I really don't see them sharing too many business philosophies.

That all said, we would be doing very well to snare Roos. Although unlikely, I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I just love the doe-eyed faith that the club can do no wrong that many posters on here seem to share. No doubt, if the headline today had been "Watters all-powerful in new Saints coaching structure" the self-same posters would be on here billing and cooing about how fantastic it's all going to be.

I've got absolutely no idea whatsoever whether what is proposed will be an improvement on what has gone before. And I don't understand how anyone can hope to know.

An all-powerful coach in GT got us from the bottom of the table to near the top in 2.5 seasons. Then another all-powerful coach in RL took us to within a hair's breadth of a GF win two years in a row.

While it is theoretically great to share power, there is also a big risk that this will blur the lines of responsibility. If Watters and this soon-to-be-announced Superman are going to have equal responsiblity, then who is going to carry the can if the team doesn't perform?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
sax
Club Player

Michael Malthouse!!! 8-)

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:If Watters and this soon-to-be-announced Superman are going to have equal responsiblity, then who is going to carry the can if the team doesn't perform?
I'm sure that no-matter what happens, Raph Clarke will still get blamed.

:shock:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I just love the doe-eyed faith that the club can do no wrong that many posters on here seem to share. No doubt, if the headline today had been "Watters all-powerful in new Saints coaching structure" the self-same posters would be on here billing and cooing about how fantastic it's all going to be.

I've got absolutely no idea whatsoever whether what is proposed will be an improvement on what has gone before. And I don't understand how anyone can hope to know.

An all-powerful coach in GT got us from the bottom of the table to near the top in 2.5 seasons. Then another all-powerful coach in RL took us to within a hair's breadth of a GF win two years in a row.

While it is theoretically great to share power, there is also a big risk that this will blur the lines of responsibility. If Watters and this soon-to-be-announced Superman are going to have equal responsiblity, then who is going to carry the can if the team doesn't perform?
Well I've got no effin idea whether it's gonna work or not.

But I'm allowed to be happy at the thought the club is trying to do something different rather than same old, same old. And that youth development is now a greater priority. And that the appointments all appear to be fine individuals.

Each to their own I suppose. 8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It all sounds great from an intent and theoretical perspective. At the end of the day, it's a question of how well everyone works together "over time" and in the AFL world of massive egos, that's not guaranteed.

I would have preferred the main Coach to still be the number one, as the buck has to stop with someone. If there are disagreements on the way that we need to move ahead, what then :?:

I too, say let's run with it and see how well things go - far better than what we have had in the past.

footynut
Club Player

Now I admit that I have a very limited knowledge of the EPL system; but I would assume that the Senior Coach would still have more power than the new player development boss, and this is the club indicating that they will now be placing the same level of importance in player development as they have previously in on field performance.

This will hopefully improve the saints relationship with Sandy and create sustained on field success.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
meher baba wrote:If Watters and this soon-to-be-announced Superman are going to have equal responsiblity, then who is going to carry the can if the team doesn't perform?
I'm sure that no-matter what happens, Raph Clarke will still get blamed.

:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ur pbly right