Zac Dawson rejects St Kilda's offer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

SaintJohn1956 wrote:When we lost Lockett to Sydney, I'm pretty sure that allowed us to get Smith (eventaully lost to Hawthorn),Aussie Jones and Tony Brown (lost to SA but league B&F there {I think} also a player by the name of Hudhton.
Lockett being mentioned in a conversation about Zac Dawson? :oops:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
SaintJohn1956 wrote:When we lost Lockett to Sydney, I'm pretty sure that allowed us to get Smith (eventaully lost to Hawthorn),Aussie Jones and Tony Brown (lost to SA but league B&F there {I think} also a player by the name of Hudhton.
Lockett being mentioned in a conversation about Zac Dawson? :oops:
Not really, he was mentioned in relation to Milne, which is still a stretch though…

winmaaah
Club Player

First round pick? 300 K longterm contract for Dawson. Incomprehensible, er well done Freo.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Probably a bargain compared to $1 million plus per year for the lying turd.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
kalsaint
Club Player

samoht wrote:Zac played like a fool back sometimes... was made to look reliable by his team mates. One on one vs Cloke forget it !
One on one is the real test.
Exactly, Zac did not play tall and failed to spol the stronger marking players in the comp. Let him go I say. It will only be for a small time if he gets another gig elsewhere. as he needs continual help from his backline and this cant always be afforded by the mid field and cost us froward structure at times.

I summary, he cost goals by poor decisions at times and cost goals by alienating or forwards from the goal line when he was helped.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Shut this farken thread down. It's all a pile of bulls***

Another opportunity awaits!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
samoht wrote:Zac played like a fool back sometimes... was made to look reliable by his team mates. One on one vs Cloke forget it !
Exactly, Zac did not play tall and failed to spol the stronger marking players in the comp. Let him go I say. It will only be for a small time if he gets another gig elsewhere. as he needs continual help from his backline and this cant always be afforded by the mid field and cost us froward structure at times.

I summary, he cost goals by poor decisions at times and cost goals by alienating or forwards from the goal line when he was helped.
How did Zac "cost us froward structure at times"?

If he was that bad, why would RL want him at Freo?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
kalsaint wrote:

How did Zac "cost us froward structure at times"?

If he was that bad, why would RL want him at Freo?
Who cares? He's a spud, let him go.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Shut this farken thread down. It's all a pile of bulls***
Well it's all a bit meaningless now isn't it?

It looks like all the cards have been dealt and in the next few days we'll find out whether Zac's staying or going (with the latter sounding most likely).

So after 18 pages there probably is little point continuing to debate Zac's value to the team and whether we should be trying to retain him.

All that's left is the official announcement.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

...no brown and jones were picked up with picks we already had.......max was the next year......we got smith who pissed off after only three years,chris hemley ...who played one game for nil possessions....robbie neale, glenn nugent and josh kitchen....three duds ffs....

...we actually got royally screwed...it was only because muppets like noddy sheahen kept spruiking how great we did out of the plugger trade that pple think we benefited from losing him...we didn't.....noddy stopped crapping on about it after i pointed out he was talking crap.....but still,,,posters on here still believe him..... :roll: :roll: :roll:either that or they have very poor memories..... :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Mon 07 Nov 2011 11:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Carn' moccha don't be like that, you keep coming back for more so you must secretly love it?
Spuds, Michael Kasprowicz, it has everything and now it has this…

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Carn' moccha don't be like that, you keep coming back for more so you must secretly love it?
Nice tackle.

BALL!!!!! :P

noddy04
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
dragit wrote:
Nice tackle.

Its a pity Zac never laid a tackle like that. He is gone ...hope Rooey runs him into the dirt when we play freo. And Stinger PLEASE stop calling Mike Sheahan "noddy" I am getting an inferiority complex LOL

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6188503556

ST KILDA chief executive Michael Nettlefold says he expects the Saints to re-sign "all the people we want to sign'' in the next couple of days.
But whether that means there is a place on the playing list for each of Zac Dawson, Farren Ray, Brett Peake and Sean Dempster remains to be seen.

With the club under salary cap pressure, Dawson has been heavily linked with a move to Fremantle in the pre-season draft.

And having already traded Tommy Walsh to Sydney, the club's total player payments is likely to be ticked off by the AFL's Ken Wood with Ray, Peake and Dempster still on its books.

"We're pretty close to finalising our list for the year, so I'd expect we'd be making some announcements on that in the next 24-48 hours,'' Nettlefold said this morning.

"I think we're in good shape, we've done a lot of work, we're where we need to be and we're very confident that we'll have all the people we want to sign ... signed up within the next couple of days.''

New coach Scott Watters reiterated Nettlefold's stance, but indicated there were only deals on the table for "three'' of the above quartet.

"We've had talks with all the uncontracted players. As we've stated we've been trying to work through that,'' Watters said.

Though this one from afl.com.au

ST KILDA remains hopeful of keeping defender Zac Dawson, despite reports he is headed for Fremantle.

Dawson is yet to re-sign with the Saints and is understood to be pursued by former St Kilda coach Ross Lyon, who left the Saints in September to coach Fremantle.

The 25-year-old, along with Farren Ray, Brett Peake and Raphael Clarke, is yet to commit to the Saints for 2012 but St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold said the club was confident of keeping him.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

"I think we're in good shape, we've done a lot of work, we're where we need to be and we're very confident that we'll have all the people we want to sign ... signed up within the next couple of days.''

New coach Scott Watters reiterated Nettlefold's stance, but indicated there were only deals on the table for "three'' of the above quartet.

Nice slap in the face for Dawson. Maybe it's another way of saying you're not wanted?

Another opportunity awaits!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
dragit wrote:
Nice tackle.

Its a pity Zac never laid a tackle like that. He is gone ...hope Rooey runs him into the dirt when we play freo. And Stinger PLEASE stop calling Mike Sheahan "noddy" I am getting an inferiority complex LOL

sorry mate... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Wonder how much Dawson got at Hawks, and how many senior games he would have played under any coach other than the " Lying Turd"?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:"I think we're in good shape, we've done a lot of work, we're where we need to be and we're very confident that we'll have all the people we want to sign ... signed up within the next couple of days.''

Nice slap in the face for Dawson. Maybe it's another way of saying you're not wanted?
yep.

It could simply be "lets save face on another loss......"

Reality is we would like to keep Dawson Im sure.....

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm not fussed about losing Dawson. He has performed well at times and did play well in several finals, but he never seems to string good form together or build upon any progress he makes. A bit like Raph; he'll play an excellent couple of games and the week later he'll be caught napping and lose simple contests. He also didn't have a suitable opponent a few times this year and was a deadweight as a result.

For 2012 we have Blake, Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert to cover the talls with Simpkin as backup. We do seem to lack a power defender to take Cloke/Brown types but one-on-one defence is becoming a thing of the past and we have plenty of mediums who can help out. Recruit another mature body and a couple of tall kids and Dawson's loss won't hurt.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Double

defacto
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Moccha wrote:"I think we're in good shape, we've done a lot of work, we're where we need to be and we're very confident that we'll have all the people we want to sign ... signed up within the next couple of days.''

yep.

It could simply be "lets save face on another loss......"

Reality is we would like to keep Dawson Im sure.....
i'm not so sure. writing was on the wall for him. game is going away from the type of full back he is.

zone defender he is. one on one defender he is not.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What about Jones?

X tweeted about someone who finished top 10 has to take a pay cut, Dempster wasn't a consistent best 22 before this season so you wouldn't think he'd of been on huge money?

Could he be tempted last minute to go to Freo, there has been no official signing as yet?

May be a left field one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bit bemused by the lack of discussion on dempster - one of our best last season, and if anything deserves more than his last contract.
unless he was overpaid previously?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What about Jones?

X tweeted about someone who finished top 10 has to take a pay cut, Dempster wasn't a consistent best 22 before this season so you wouldn't think he'd of been on huge money?

Could he be tempted last minute to go to Freo, there has been no official signing as yet?

May be a left field one.
it was reported he signed a new 2 year deal 5-6 weeks ago

for mine, he is your ideal choice for a pay cut/cut but doubt it will happen

ppl seem to think he is an elite class player

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
SainterK wrote:What about Jones?

May be a left field one.
it was reported he signed a new 2 year deal 5-6 weeks ago

for mine, he is your ideal choice for a pay cut/cut but doubt it will happen

ppl seem to think he is an elite class player
Yea Jones signed new contract before the B&F, hence why his name has never come up in the un-contracted list.