Gary Ayres and Dawson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Gary Ayres and Dawson

Article says that Nettlefold is confident in keeping Dawson, and Gary Ayres has been mentioned in terms of filling a role at the club:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Zac could be offered a player/assistant coach role so he can get a reduced salary and an assistant coaches salary outside the cap.

I bet the AFL would allow Sydney or GWS to do it :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Maybe Zac could be offered a player/assistant coach role.
Or his dad :wink:

saint6709
Club Player

I would like to see Zac fill the Walsh hole as the new forward big man (if he stays) - can't watch him down back - but think he might be able to play if moved forward where he can actually concentrate on the ball - has done ok in past cameo's .

I would say brereton in watters ear re Dowler - I for one think he knows his footy Brereton - so might be a good pick up

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Shouldn't Raph Clarke be delisted? I mean come on...

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

prwilkinson wrote:Shouldn't Raph Clarke be delisted? I mean come on...
Has nothing to do with this thread so crawl back under the rock you came from!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

IluvHarvey wrote:
+1

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
No!
+1

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
westy
Club Player

'KOFF

I'm livin' in a madhouse
fingers
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
This

Ross who?
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:
+1
Is the rock also under a bridge :)

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

bit fascinated about the possibility of Ayres as Academy Director reporting directly into Pelchin. i wonder if their paths have crossed with the Hawthorn link. Reckon it could be a good fit.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Zac just needs to get a lot stronger...

Zac just needs to get a lot stronger... if he can do that over the summer and get some attacking flair back into his game he would be one of the best FB in the comp.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

saint6709 wrote:I would like to see Zac fill the Walsh hole as the new ....
Full back for Sandringham?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Dr Spaceman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Maybe Zac could be offered a player/assistant coach role.
Or his dad :wink:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Lenny
Club Player

Seriously, you should know that the real name of Saintsational is the Raph Clark Fan Club and that no one is allowed to say anything against him because he is the greatest player ever.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

St Lenny wrote:
Seriously, you should know that the real name of Saintsationaly is the Raph Clark Fan Club and that no one is allowed to say anything against him because he is the greatest player ever.
Say what you like about him. But it doesn't belong in a thread about Zac Dawson and Gary Ayres.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
Seriously, you should know that the real name of Saintsational is the Raph Clark Fan Club and that no one is allowed to say anything against him because he is the greatest player ever.
Even if you're not a Raph fan, and are against his selection in the side...

I'd certainly like to hear the other options for the defence lineup come Rd 1 given Gwilt isn't ready until Rd 5, Lynch and Walsh have gone, and Zac is likely to walk?

To delist him would be insane, fan club or otherwise.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:
I just get sick of him being bagged in seemingly every thread. If you don't like him, you don't like him - that's up to you.

But to hear about it constantly - off topic - is boring. Either start another specific thread (or bump one of the hundreds already started) , or get over it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
St Lenny wrote:
I just get sick of him being bagged in seemingly every thread. If you don't like him, you don't like him - that's up to you.

But to hear about it constantly - off topic - is boring. Either start another specific thread (or bump one of the hundreds already started) , or get over it.

the last option would be nice.....sure raph and his mum would appreciate that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:I would like to see Zac fill the Walsh hole as the new forward big man (if he stays) - can't watch him down back - but think he might be able to play if moved forward where he can actually concentrate on the ball - has done ok in past cameo's .

I would say brereton in watters ear re Dowler - I for one think he knows his footy Brereton - so might be a good pick up
Personally I dont think Dawson would be quick enough on thd lead, strong enough or an accurate enough kick for goal to hold down a key forward postition. Besides we are pretty flush with forward options at the moment IMHO.

If Dawson has indeed rejected a contract offer and decided to move on best of luck to him but he lost any respect I had for him.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
saint6709 wrote:I would like to see Zac fill the Walsh hole as the new forward big man (if he stays) - can't watch him down back - but think he might be able to play if moved forward where he can actually concentrate on the ball - has done ok in past cameo's .

Personally I dont think Dawson would be quick enough on thd lead, strong enough or an accurate enough kick for goal to hold down a key forward postition. Besides we are pretty flush with forward options at the moment IMHO.

If Dawson has indeed rejected a contract offer and decided to move on best of luck to him but he lost any respect I had for him.

BANG BANG
Even if there is 100k difference in pay. I blame our previous list manager for this, not Zac.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
I don't agree with your questioning of his speed on the lead. One of the reasons I've not been against trying him up forward more is the fact that, on the rare occasions he's been played there for us, he has looked really good on the lead. He just seems to effortlessly put a big gap between himself and whoever is on him when he leads. I'm not sure how he does it, as you don't usually see how leads start, unless you're just watching someone specifically, but he does it very effectively. For someone his height (I'm pretty sure he's at least 197cm) he is genuinely quick, especially over a short distance. He's clearly played a lot of footy up forward in the past (I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was more at home there than down back, where he looks lost too often) and I'd be happy to see him played there more (if he stays, which I hope he will). Especially after recently seeing my recording of our round 24 game against Carlton, when he was pushed forward to very good effect.
I agree that he doesn't have the strength one on one, but he doesn't have that down back, either, and I'd rather he be beaten one one one in front of our goals than theirs. As for his kicking, it doesn't look great, but it may still be simple yet effective and I doubt it would be any worse than some who shall remain nameless.
I don't think anyone's suggesting he'll become our next Fraser Gehrig, but if we can cover his loss down back, I'd be plenty happy to see how he went in a trial up forward. If we could get someone like him to kick a couple of goals a game and give a good contest in marking contests (bringing the ball to the ground) it could make us stronger overall.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
I don't agree with your questioning of his speed on the lead. One of the reasons I've not been against trying him up forward more is the fact that, on the rare occasions he's been played there for us, he has looked really good on the lead. He just seems to effortlessly put a big gap between himself and whoever is on him when he leads. I'm not sure how he does it, as you don't usually see how leads start, unless you're just watching someone specifically, but he does it very effectively. For someone his height (I'm pretty sure he's at least 197cm) he is genuinely quick, especially over a short distance. He's clearly played a lot of footy up forward in the past (I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was more at home there than down back, where he looks lost too often) and I'd be happy to see him played there more (if he stays, which I hope he will). Especially after recently seeing my recording of our round 24 game against Carlton, when he was pushed forward to very good effect.
I agree that he doesn't have the strength one on one, but he doesn't have that down back, either, and I'd rather he be beaten one one one in front of our goals than theirs. As for his kicking, it doesn't look great, but it may still be simple yet effective and I doubt it would be any worse than some who shall remain nameless.
I don't think anyone's suggesting he'll become our next Fraser Gehrig, but if we can cover his loss down back, I'd be plenty happy to see how he went in a trial up forward. If we could get someone like him to kick a couple of goals a game and give a good contest in marking contests (bringing the ball to the ground) it could make us stronger overall.
I reckon there are 2 reasons he wont play up forward for us next season. He will be a Freo and he is a FB who plays best in that position and for that one in 10 chance he stays we dont have any better options. We have plenty of better options than him as a forward.