Draft watchers - Jackson Paine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Draft watchers - Jackson Paine

Are we a chance of getting him?
Is he something wed be keen on and will he make it to 25?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Yes, yes and yes.

Tall forward, quick off the mark with an innate ability to mark the ball at its highest point. Fantastic accuracy in front of the sticks too and has a very good aggression/pain tolerance. His downsides are his ability to float in and out of the game and whilst quick off the mark, he is a footballer first, athlete second. Which I honestly don’t mind from a full forward! He is the player I hope we get next week – fits the bill beautifully IMO. That is unless Tomlinson slides, which is highly unlikely.

Also, as further salt to the wound, the club that looks most likely to snare Paine before us is Fremantle as they look likely to take a tall forward with their first pick. He could still get past them though, if someone like a Toby Greene slides to their pick, who they will find impossible to turn down. Paine will likely go 15-25 I’d say.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:Yes, yes and yes.

Tall forward, quick off the mark with an innate ability to mark the ball at its highest point. Fantastic accuracy in front of the sticks too and has a very good aggression/pain tolerance. His downsides are his ability to float in and out of the game and whilst quick off the mark, he is a footballer first, athlete second. Which I honestly don’t mind from a full forward! He is the player I hope we get next week – fits the bill beautifully IMO. That is unless Tomlinson slides, which is highly unlikely.

Also, as further salt to the wound, the club that looks most likely to snare Paine before us is Fremantle as they look likely to take a tall forward with their first pick. He could still get past them though, if someone like a Toby Greene slides to their pick, who they will find impossible to turn down. Paine will likely go 15-25 I’d say.
Thanks mate. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Seems like he would suit our needs in more ways than one. Ill cross my fingers.

swarta
Club Player

Looks like a gun. We would be very lucky to get him, and would be exactly what we need. Big bodied foreword who's tough as nails, would love to see him play 3rd tall like Jack Darling

sent from my iphone.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Looks like a fantastic prospect.

Great size, good skills, Can obviously take a grab, seems quick and strong. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed he slips to 25 so we can nab him.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:Also, as further salt to the wound, the club that looks most likely to snare Paine before us is Fremantle as they look likely to take a tall forward with their first pick. He could still get past them though, if someone like a Toby Greene slides to their pick, who they will find impossible to turn down. Paine will likely go 15-25 I’d say.
Don't worry, Lyon will turn him into a hbf ... if he plays Jackson at all. Leopards can't change their spots.

swarta
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:Don't worry, Lyon will turn him into a hbf ... if he plays Jackson at all. Leopards can't change their spots.
Polo was able to change his http://oneeyed-richmond.com/images/rich ... lohair.jpg :lol:

sent from my iphone.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

swarta wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:Don't worry, Lyon will turn him into a hbf ... if he plays Jackson at all. Leopards can't change their spots.
Polo was able to change his http://oneeyed-richmond.com/images/rich ... lohair.jpg :lol:
Yeah, but that's a tiger not a leopard :P

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

More likely Jackson Coleman.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
swarta wrote:
Gets confusing, doesn't it. A leopard named lion.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:More likely Jackson Coleman.
Coleman will go very late, if at all... Ben Brown another decent tall forward we could get late. But, both still speculative. Of we could get one of the top few forwards in the draft, I say do it. Also, worth noting that next year will b much better for talls, as this draft is for mids. So we don't need to go overboard on talls this year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Julian Dobosz is a Tassy full forward who also sound promising, as does Nick Murphy and the shorter Shane Kersten from WA. There are a few good options for full forward out there.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

swarta wrote:Looks like a gun. We would be very lucky to get him, and would be exactly what we need. Big bodied foreword who's tough as nails, would love to see him play 3rd tall like Jack Darling

I dont get to see these guys live, and highlight tapes are just that - highlights
Is he AS good as Jack Darling (grrr we could have had him) and will he have an equal immediate impact???

Seeya
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
swarta wrote:Looks like a gun. We would be very lucky to get him, and would be exactly what we need. Big bodied foreword who's tough as nails, would love to see him play 3rd tall like Jack Darling

I dont get to see these guys live, and highlight tapes are just that - highlights
Is he AS good as Jack Darling (grrr we could have had him) and will he have an equal immediate impact???
No, Darling would be better. Darling slid because of his attitude and off field issues (had gotten into a pretty big bar brawl earlier in the year). His strength at juniors was also his use of his strength, but many worried whether this could be transferred to AFL level where everyone will be bigger than him. Obviously, the doubters have been proven wrong already. Paine is a bit slighter, but isn’t a bean-pole. Could probably play some games this year (maybe 5-10), but I wouldn’t expect him to have a major impact. His highlights tape is very good, but as I noted, he has a tendency to float in and out of games, but when he does do something it is very good. The issue is the stuff that happens BETWEEN those highlights. That said, he seems a pretty mature player and with the right tutelage could really flourish at AFL level – certainly has the tools.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

No, Darling would be better. Darling slid because of his attitude and off field issues (had gotten into a pretty big bar brawl earlier in the year). His strength at juniors was also his use of his strength, but many worried whether this could be transferred to AFL level where everyone will be bigger than him. Obviously, the doubters have been proven wrong already. Paine is a bit slighter, but isn’t a bean-pole. Could probably play some games this year (maybe 5-10), but I wouldn’t expect him to have a major impact. His highlights tape is very good, but as I noted, he has a tendency to float in and out of games, but when he does do something it is very good. The issue is the stuff that happens BETWEEN those highlights. That said, he seems a pretty mature player and with the right tutelage could really flourish at AFL level – certainly has the tools.
thanks for that assessment
but curiously there would seem to be a ton of others ahead of him
so what drags him up the draft ladder? I mean Patton would be deemed better (more Darling like) and I would be surprised to see him go top ten

Seeya
swarta
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
swarta wrote:
Gets confusing, doesn't it. A leopard named lion.
Not richmond, look at Polos hair....

sent from my iphone.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

thanks for that assessment
but curiously there would seem to be a ton of others ahead of him
so what drags him up the draft ladder? I mean Patton would be deemed better (more Darling like) and I would be surprised to see him go top ten
Sorry, I dont get your question???

Patton is definitely better - he will be the first or second pick this year.

As for other talls, there are a few on similar pegging to Paine... Tomlinson a little better, whilst McInnes and Elton are probably considered pretty similar. We may even look to Schade or Talia for a key defender, although I am hoping one of those two (or Bosely) can slip to our 2nd pick!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

thirty-seven!? wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

I call bs, sorry but the issues u speak about were a media beat up. The kid is a black belt, you dont get that without the right attitude n dedication. He was king hit from behind in a pub, hardly his fault. Even if he was walking around like he was king d..., most young talents do. He also hooked up with a chick on a camp and got caught and got into a little trouble.

We should have gotten him, big mistake, but hell 15 other clubs passes on him too so you win some lose some. Thats why we should go for Grigg, can be Lennys protege, will slide but positives outweigh perceived attitude and pace issues.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

thirty-seven!? wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

I call bs, sorry but the issues u speak about were a media beat up. The kid is a black belt, you dont get that without the right attitude n dedication. He was king hit from behind in a pub, hardly his fault. Even if he was walking around like he was king d..., most young talents do. He also hooked up with a chick on a camp and got caught and got into a little trouble.

We should have gotten him, big mistake, but hell 15 other clubs passes on him too so you win some lose some. Thats why we should go for Grigg, can be Lennys protege, will slide but positives outweigh perceived attitude and pace issues.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

I have a feeling you've mistaken me for a recruiter who overlooked him... Never said i didn't like the kid or that he deserved the bad press. But rightly or wrongly, this is why he slid, along with the worries about him just being a 'bully' in juniors- something they worried he couldn't replicate at AFL level.

Agree, he would be great for us, but also remember that we had Walsh and Lynch and Stanley on our list this time last year and all were highly rated. Unfortunately, two are now gone and one had a pretty quiet 2011. So now the priorities have well and truly changed. Also, I'd say we r all pretty happy with Cripps so far!

Grigg would b great! Will b one of the real interesting stories of the draft I reckon. There's even a slight chance he could still b there at #35! What will hurt him more than anything is his average combine results, which just confirmed what was already known- he's not very quick. But with good awareness and a 60m kick, I don't thick he needs to run like the wind!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

jackson coleman is training at Sandy.

according to Zebs

....."Strength and Conditioning Coach Glenn
Thomson has got the boys flying and a lot of
the physical testing is taking place at the
moment and the boys are clocking up some
ripper times! The 2km time trial was done at
Dendy Park last week and some of the new
boys impressed, Michael Mindelis was
quickest in 6.33, he was closely followed by
young Dragon Jackson Coleman who clocked
in at 6.36 – Very impressive for a man who
stands at 196cm. 2nd year players Chris
Michaliades, Max Bruin and Billymo Rist
also came back in great shape all clocking
under 6.45 as did veteran Zeb Keiffer Smith-
Cameron.".....

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:

As for other talls, there are a few on similar pegging to Paine... Tomlinson a little better, whilst McInnes and Elton are probably considered pretty similar. We may even look to Schade or Talia for a key defender, although I am hoping one of those two (or Bosely) can slip to our 2nd pick!
dont get me wrong, I value the input as I dont get to see these games live & you probably feel like you're under attack
my question is why do rate Paine highly, when there are quite a few above him stats wise (yes including patton, who I still think might slide a bit and surprisingly would think he is exactly your same type of "monster" junior as Darling)
Key defenders are interesting, yeah I agree that we need them, but we needed them two years ago, now that it has hit the fan, we need ready made KP backs.

Seeya
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:

dont get me wrong, I value the input as I dont get to see these games live & you probably feel like you're under attack
my question is why do rate Paine highly, when there are quite a few above him stats wise (yes including patton, who I still think might slide a bit and surprisingly would think he is exactly your same type of "monster" junior as Darling)
Key defenders are interesting, yeah I agree that we need them, but we needed them two years ago, now that it has hit the fan, we need ready made KP backs.
I think I am rating Paine highly here as an option for the Saints... I do get your point though, so I should clarify - whilst I do really like Paine, he is certainly not the best pick in the draft (Coniglio is IMO), but simply the best player with a chance of being around at pick 25.

No point getting all excited on SS about Patton, when the only chance of him getting to our pick next week is if he got incurable OP overnight and then raped someone... It's just not going to happen.

Honestly, a couple of players worth getting excited about would be Kavanaugh and Docherty - I REALLY like these two kids, but they look likely to go 10-20... Still, not outside the realms of possibility (especially considering Kavanaugh is the one in the middle of the who 'abusive Dad' saga... just quietly :wink: ).

Also, on the point of Patton vs Darling, Patton is a true monster forward at 197cm. Darling is more that mid-sized forward (191cm) who isnt really key position. So often those mid-sized forwards never turn out as well as hoped, as they are not quite big enough to play KP forward. Darling, as I said before, used to use his size in juniors as a real strength, but in the AFL, he is actually undersized for his position. Patton not so much - he will have the ability to still be a 'monster' at AFL level (when he fills out) due to the size of his frame. Darling isn't getting much bigger. Does this make sense?

Key Defenders, we need to recruit some to develop and some for now. As I said in another post, I believe he have approached Will Thursfield from Richmond. He could fill the AFL-ready role. But we still need some developing. There are a few decent ones in this draft, although all may be gone by our 2nd pick... So it will be interesting to see if we go a little early on one at pick 25, or hope one slips a bit to 35... They are probably all worth about pick 20-35... (Schade, Talia, Boseley)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Patton won't slide past one of GWS early picks they've had his family at the GWS country club before the draft to get them used to his new surrounds. Johnny is like Rooey mark 2 something a little suss when kicking at goals etc but just competes like an animal, he will captain GWS one day and then hopefully come home to us when bored.