When do we discuss the elephant in the room?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Legendary wrote:3 years ago there was no one in control of the site and we were having problems.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
matrix wrote:like i said
if you asked for fuking help you might be surprised
instead of trying to do it all on your own
and i wont be chiiping in one cent (unlike last time) until i can see what im chipping in for
why are you picking the host,server, type of site???
if you ask for money and members end up paying for it then members get the right to have a vote and decide what they like best?

its not YOUR site as soon as you ask for donations
its OUR site

but this seems to be falling on deaf ears
+1
yes thats right, we will all "own" it and with thast goes any control and authority of the mods and the admin.

Can you the imagine the tantrum of an "owner" for breaking the forum rules and then being warned or banned??

Fair Dinkum, the carry on and dummy spits by some who think they are already entitled (not a privilege, which is what it is) to be on a moderated forum would turn the place into a cage of high horsed prima donna's (as Firey has pointed out).

If the site wants donations, give freely without conditions of faux "ownership".

When we sponsor a player we dont "own" the player, just the privilege of directly contributing to the club and showing our committment to a young player.

Why is the forum any different.

Keep going battye and dont let the naysayers get you down.

for once i'm 100% in agreement with this poster.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

not enough to duplicate my post though :wink:

sorry i said that..

i see that this particlar poster is still telling lies on big footy and worse still ... still befriending a piece of s*** who threatened my family...before he got the boot from this forum...gazza has his number though...

Joffaboy
BigFooty Legend
This is a Veteran user. Respect.

St Kilda
NO Saints

Re: Has SaintSational been hacked????
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDS66 View Post
Since my time on here, I have found nothing but civility.

SS was like a black hole that sucked me in and exposed my darker side.

So I not only post there, but I also don't even look at it for fear of raising my blood pressure to unsustainable level.

I can understand SS sponsors who are annoyed at the down time, but please don't bring your baggage on here to fill in time until it's up and running again.

It's Bf and TS for me.
Must admit VDS66, I have had great fun with your run in with a certain poster at SS

All the bravado comes crashing down when I let it known that I had read the PM's and the fact that the bully boy was shown to be a coward when put to the test.

Bit of a glass jaw does the bully boy. Complained to the mods

Just the mention of Milton66 gets me into trouble

Oh those were the days my friend "

.......insult me on here why don't you joffa boy.....
Last edited by stinger on Wed 16 Nov 2011 7:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Legendary wrote:People have very short memories about why battye is doing this job in the first place: he deserves some respect.

3 years ago there was no one in control of the site and we were having problems. I was a moderator under a different name at the time. battye stepped in and volunteered when no one else would to sort things out with a site host and he and Mr Magic organized the funds. The site became far better run and battye stepped in when no one else was willing or able.

A website is not a democracy. There is an owner of the domain and that person holds 100% of the rights and control of the site. If you don't like it, start your own (True Sainters is brilliant if you haven't had a look yet).
Indeed he does, and he has.

He was not backward in offering his services, even before any public appeal for assistance was issued.

The problems of three years ago were due to rampant nepotism.... not so much now.

As a group we should look at the current arrangement and decide if this is the best we can do.

Associations all over the world work quite satisfactorily on a membership system, why would SS be the odd one out?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

and look how the opportunists on this site use this latest mishap to try and get their filthy greedy little hands on ss.....same agenda that they have peddled for three years or so.....it's now so predictable its f****** boring.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

stinger wrote:and look how the opportunists on this site use this latest mishap to try and get their filthy greedy little hands on ss.....same agenda that they have peddled for three years or so.....it's now so predictable its f****** boring.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:
As are your responses.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:and look how the opportunists on this site use this latest mishap to try and get their filthy greedy little hands on ss.....same agenda that they have peddled for three years or so.....it's now so predictable its f****** boring.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:
Bit harsh, stinger... some could easily say; "and look how the sycophants defend the status quo"

My only interest is a smooth running site without the continued hacks/crashes/downtime.....and I'm happy to pay for the privilege....Personally I couldn't give a rat's tossbag about sharing ownership or admin of the place...and I've stated as much.

.... if you're happy to accept mediocrity I've got a good 2nd-hand car I can sell you. :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

see jb is still bad mouthing me and other forum members on big footy....to me that should be a banning offence.....gazza has his number though ...along with that piece of s*** who threatened my family...

.why don't you insult me on this forum jb... :roll: :roll: :twisted:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
Bit harsh, stinger... some could easily say; "and look how the sycophants defend the status quo"

My only interest is a smooth running site without the continued hacks/crashes/downtime.....and I'm happy to pay for the privilege....Personally I couldn't give a rat's tossbag about sharing ownership or admin of the place...and I've stated as much.

.... if you're happy to accept mediocrity I've got a good 2nd-hand car I can sell you. :wink:

i don't buy second hand cars...and i'm more than happy with this forum.......apart from a couple of turkeys who post here..... :wink:

:oops:..that might be an insult....nah.... :wink: ...all's good....

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

You seem like an angry man?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
stinger
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
no...not at all......just speaking the truth.... but the see you next tuesday that you were arguing with on big footy is.....

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... was interesting seeing milton again.

I reckon we should get the posters on the bf stkilda board to pay for our server.
I'm sure they'd be happy if we didn't turn up there again!

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

... re this upyrdate

will the posts automatically update themselves to the thread to eradicate constant refreshing

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saw the thread title and thought we'd taken on Fev.

Thank Christ I was mistaken...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:... was interesting seeing milton again.

I reckon we should get the posters on the bf stkilda board to pay for our server.
I'm sure they'd be happy if we didn't turn up there again!

yeah....still as big a see you next tuesday as he ever was.....bragging why he doesn't post on ss anymore when he actually got the flick if my memory isn't failing me....him and joffaboy seem a bit obsessed with me...bit unhealthy actually.... 8-) :wink: :twisted: ...bit like go here.... :roll:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

...seems u have that certain charm that people love bloke.

... hard to resist , so to speak :)

battye
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
battye wrote:...what I was looking at was a GoDaddy package for about $30 a month (roughly what we are paying now). The difference is GoDaddy are an established company with a good reputation. The experience I've had with them in the past has been good.
their hosting doesn't have an amazing reputation for reliability. dreamhost tend to be better quality and should be price competitive.
battye wrote:When we change hosts it's not going to be easy, as I've mentioned a few times Saintsational has a very large database. I'll need to do a dry run (on my computer) to make sure I can extract the entire database and convert it - as if it's on my computer then it is the ideal time to upgrade the forum software. It's a process that takes time, so there's a good chance that during the shift a couple of days or more of posts will be lost but unfortunately there is no way around that. At least it is the off-season.
we shouldn't lose posts, surely?

just take the site down for the duration of the move. you can pull down a snapshot of the db and run the migration as a test of how long it will take, so you can let everyone know. i reckon it should be able to be done overnight as the slowest bit will be upload to a new us host.

let me know by email if you want a hand with this as i have a bit of experience here.
I know GoDaddy didn't used to have an amazing reputation around 2003-04 but I think things have turned around as I haven't heard anything too bad over the last few years. Having said that, I haven't heard anything bad about Dreamhost either. Just having a quick glance at the specs, it looks like GoDaddy offer slightly more memory for that $30 mark.

And yes you are right, if we take the site down no posts will be lost so that is an option too. I had been working under the assumption that users would prefer to keep posting even in the knowledge their last few posts might not stay but either way is fine. The longest part shouldn't be the upload to the new host, I think it will be either the software conversion or the actual restoration of the converted database.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:And yes you are right, if we take the site down no posts will be lost so that is an option too. I had been working under the assumption that users would prefer to keep posting even in the knowledge their last few posts might not stay but either way is fine. The longest part shouldn't be the upload to the new host, I think it will be either the software conversion or the actual restoration of the converted database.
great, sounds like you've thought about it anyway. as i said, let me know if you need a hand. otherwise good luck with it!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so battye YOU are choosing the host?

and no one is trying to get their hands on ss stinger :roll:
f****** unreal

and if it comes across that way HSV that im bagging admin or mods then not much i can do about that, i cant type 'tone' of a conversation in a thread

it just would be nice to see some options of whats out there
but im guessing that wont be happening and a new host has been chosen

hey im sure it'll be great, can it get any worse than the wanker hosts that keep letting our site get hacked etc?, but it would be nice to see what options we have

but i guess we arent entitled to that
even thou posters pay for it
just doesnt make sense to me
:?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so battye YOU are choosing the host?

and no one is trying to get their hands on ss stinger :roll:
f****** unreal

and if it comes across that way HSV that im bagging admin or mods then not much i can do about that, i cant type 'tone' of a conversation in a thread

it just would be nice to see some options of whats out there
but im guessing that wont be happening and a new host has been chosen

hey im sure it'll be great, can it get any worse than the wanker hosts that keep letting our site get hacked etc?, but it would be nice to see what options we have

but i guess we arent entitled to that
even thou posters pay for it
just doesnt make sense to me
:?
well...you mighn't be...but one or two others are..... :evil:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shesh i cant see that anywhere stinger
and i cant see it happening
battye would have to hand over the big gold key

:shock:

carnasaints55
Club Player

I'm confused as to what the fuss is about. The site was down for a few days and a couple months ago it was down for a bit longer. Is everyone so attached to an internet forum that they need to go absolutely crazy at battye for a problem he couldnt DIRECTLY control? Heres a thought: when SS is down, do something else--go outside and kick a footy, or read the newspaper. The temporary downing of an internet forum isn't such a big deal. The minute I'm asked for money, I'll contribute as much as I feel comfortable with and I'll shut up and let the people who know computers and control the server/host/whatever-its-called run the site. If something happens on the site that genuinely bothers me/i disagree with, I'll write to a mod and tell them. This should be a site where people share news/vids/pics/opinions about the sainters, not a corporation where we need to establish a 1-share 1-vote system. Just enjoy the ride and chill out when it goes down--its not worth getting mad about.

roo=god
stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:shesh i cant see that anywhere stinger
and i cant see it happening
battye would have to hand over the big gold key

:shock:
i can't see it happening either...and thank the f*** for that.....doesn't mean some posters on here don't think otherwise though.....go back through the posts ...specifically about the recent shutdown....i won't mention names....they're not worth the space....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

carnasaints55 wrote:I'm confused as to what the fuss is about. The site was down for a few days and a couple months ago it was down for a bit longer. Is everyone so attached to an internet forum that they need to go absolutely crazy at battye for a problem he couldnt DIRECTLY control? Heres a thought: when SS is down, do something else--go outside and kick a footy, or read the newspaper. The temporary downing of an internet forum isn't such a big deal. The minute I'm asked for money, I'll contribute as much as I feel comfortable with and I'll shut up and let the people who know computers and control the server/host/whatever-its-called run the site. If something happens on the site that genuinely bothers me/i disagree with, I'll write to a mod and tell them. This should be a site where people share news/vids/pics/opinions about the sainters, not a corporation where we need to establish a 1-share 1-vote system. Just enjoy the ride and chill out when it goes down--its not worth getting mad about.

well said....