Depth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Early or Late - makes no difference, you just have to win games...

Points in Round 2 are the same as Round 19......

Really you just have to win 14 games or more over the spread of the season.....

If we are talking about the return of Gwilt.....should NEVER be in consideration with the teams performance or needs.......But when HE is ready to go.....

and my tip with knees, be conservative

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Early or Late - makes no difference, you just have to win games...

Points in Round 2 are the same as Round 19......

Really you just have to win 14 games or more over the spread of the season.....

If we are talking about the return of Gwilt.....should NEVER be in consideration with the teams performance or needs.......But when HE is ready to go.....

and my tip with knees, be conservative
I have also learnt 14 games doesnt always get you a top 4 spot so we need to win early so you can be a chance of a top 4 spot. Makes complete sense.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So you disagree with Ross Lyons Philosiphy.....each game is of the same importance, you just need to win enough games to qualify over the season.....

This was in answer to a question that suggested he had just won an imortant game...

Winning the first ten....and winning the last ten both give you 40 points..

so whatever makes sense to you, but winning ten in a row early in 2004 didnt equate to success.....infact we peaked far too early

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So you disagree with Ross Lyons Philosiphy.....each game is of the same importance, you just need to win enough games to qualify over the season.....

This was in answer to a question that suggested he had just won an imortant game...

Winning the first ten....and winning the last ten both give you 40 points..

so whatever makes sense to you, but winning ten in a row early in 2004 didnt equate to success.....infact we peaked far too early
Yep but if you start like we did this year then you cant finish top 4 and with our draw next year we must win early. You cant make up lost ground if it is to late when you strike form. Makes complete sense. Also with 2 or 3 very poor sides next season it will certainly be over 14 wins to get top 4 as it was this season.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You can finish top 4 if you win more games or have a higher % than 5th....you have 24 games to do so...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You can finish top 4 if you win more games or have a higher % than 5th....you have 24 games to do so...
Why do you have 24 games to do so? And thanks for that. I was pointing out that I dont think 14 was enough and I did know that 4th is higher than 5th. My 3 year old knows that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

substitute rounds for games.....mistake

I thought you were confused....so I tried to simplify...

and clarify that every game was as important as the next one....April premiers dont get silverware

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.winning early eases the addition of extra stress and tension on the quest.

... regardless , the mathematics of it , is what the h&a is all about.

Big picture wise , imo , early wins are momentum creating ... and i'm a fan of momentum (eases the 'mental load) / (opens the intuitive flow)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:...April premiers dont get silverware
The momentum that a second Premiership will give the St Kilda Football club is far more important than early season wins next year or any year.

The players know that it is finals success that counts for everything, and have surely been through enough pressure situations that they could handle the added pressure of sitting in 6th or 7th position mid year. What's the point of having a plan to be in your best form mid year (apart from the obvious benefits of short term marketing and short term membership drives) if winning early impacts negatively on your planning for a tilt at the premiership??!!

We've got players that are nearing the end of their careers and some may need to be nursed through the early rounds. Without a true plan on managing all players on the list and tackling the whole season of H&A, then you are flying blind. Sure, you'll hear the players saying they are taking it 'one week at a time' and other such cliches, but the coaches seriously need a more methodical approach. The longer term benefits to our footy club should be part of the clubs planning and should be evident from now on, in the bigger picture scheme of things. If we fail to get top 4, so be it, but I think we need to give the youngsters a chance to show us early if they are worthy of taking a few spots in finals...at the same time you can keep the senior blokes hungry and itching to get out on the park in the heat of September.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good Post Scollop...