Tony Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
dragit wrote:I asked this a few months ago…

What happened to his career with us?

Seemed to finish up pretty young, from what I remember he was a decent player?
Tim Watson happened to it. Browny was very good from a young age and had a terrific 1997, when he was only 20, being an integral part of our midfield and our campaign that led to a GF. He got a lot of the ball and also kicked his fair share of goals. By 22 he had played 100 games (very rare for anyone to do) but then Watson came along and was committed to rotating those in the midfield in other positions and it killed off Browny, as he was only suited to playing in the guts. So he moved him to other areas or on the bench and he lost his form and by the middle of Watson's first season Browny found himself in the magoos.
So we had someone who easily had the ability to play 200 games finished by about the age of 23, when we could have just been a bit more flexible and built the midfield around him being in there.
Not sure you can blame the coach on that. If he was good enough he would have got out of the slump. He was in the end just to slow and wasnt a great kick. These things happen to players especially with the game changing so quickly these days.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It wasn't so much a "slump", though, it was that Watson wanted him to play other positions and he just wasn't physically suited to them. It wouldn't have mattered if he got back into "form" or not, as he wouldn't have spent enough time in the midfield to have shown that form and he wouldn't have produced in other areas, no matter how well he was going, as he wasn't suited to them. It was midfield or out for him, basically and with Watson's approach, that meant out. I'm sure if this place existed back then and someone on here suggested that Browny be moved out of the middle you would have ridiculed and belittled them, as he was about the last one suited to being moved from his usual position.
He was going perfectly well in the middle and I see no reason why he wouldn't have continued to have done so, if kept in there, especially as he was just coming into the prime age of his career. His best was still ahead of him and even if it wasn't he was still good enough, even at 20, to have played in a top two side in the midfield. He had a heap of natural football ability and was also renowned for his leadership.
I agree that his speed wasn't great, but that was over 10 years ago and he was still definitely good enough to have kept playing there full time for a few more years. The game wasn't changing anywhere as fast then as it has in recent years and while it probably would have caught up with him by about the age of 27 or so, when the game was really speeding up, it wasn't moving that fast when he stopped. Basically Watson's approach derailed a career that didn't need derailing at that stage and cost us a quality individual.
The loss of Brown was just about the most disappointing individual part of Watson's tenure with us, as far as I was concerned.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:He was going perfectly well in the middle and I see no reason why he wouldn't have continued to have done so, if kept in there, especially as he was just coming into the prime age of his career.
i seem to remember he played a fairly similar game to andrew thompson. is it fair to say that they couldn't both be in the side at the same time, given the way the game was going in 99-2000?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:He was going perfectly well in the middle and I see no reason why he wouldn't have continued to have done so, if kept in there, especially as he was just coming into the prime age of his career.
i seem to remember he played a fairly similar game to andrew thompson. is it fair to say that they couldn't both be in the side at the same time, given the way the game was going in 99-2000?
I would doubt it, as Thommo was quicker than Browny, from memory and could have played other positions and I guess must have, to have survived that period.
There were some parts of that team that just didn't need "fixing" and yet they did anyway and we know how it all turned out.
Watson coming along cost us Tony Brown and then Blight coming along cost us Shane Wakelin, which was another unnecessary (and IMO costly) loss.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 04 Dec 2011 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It wasn't so much a "slump", though, it was that Watson wanted him to play other positions and he just wasn't physically suited to them. It wouldn't have mattered if he got back into "form" or not, as he wouldn't have spent enough time in the midfield to have shown that form and he wouldn't have produced in other areas, no matter how well he was going, as he wasn't suited to them. It was midfield or out for him, basically and with Watson's approach, that meant out. I'm sure if this place existed back then and someone on here suggested that Browny be moved out of the middle you would have ridiculed and belittled them, as he was about the last one suited to being moved from his usual position.
He was going perfectly well in the middle and I see no reason why he wouldn't have continued to have done so, if kept in there, especially as he was just coming into the prime age of his career. His best was still ahead of him and even if it wasn't he was still good enough, even at 20, to have played in a top two side in the midfield. He had a heap of natural football ability and was also renowned for his leadership.
I agree that his speed wasn't great, but that was over 10 years ago and he was still definitely good enough to have kept playing there full time for a few more years. The game wasn't changing anywhere as fast then as it has in recent years and while it probably would have caught up with him by about the age of 27 or so, when the game was really speeding up, it wasn't moving that fast when he stopped. Basically Watson's approach derailed a career that didn't need derailing at that stage and cost us a quality individual.
The loss of Brown was just about the most disappointing individual part of Watson's tenure with us, as far as I was concerned.
Just a simple question. If he was as good as you say surely he would have been picked up by another club at such a young age? I would think clubs saw that he was slow and fairly unskilled and the game had already gone past him. And by the sounds of it if I did have a go at someone for suggesting moving Brown was a good idea you would have agreed with me. Probably shows that a stable side is better than 20 suggested changes like some on here want.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back Tony :)

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Dr.Spaceman

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

No-one wants 20 changes plugger66 and that is why I rarely bother to read your replies to my posts, because you end up talking absolute crap like that and putting words in others mouths that they A: haven't said and B: don't want to happen. It's sad that you feel the need to stoop to that level time after time, like talking about Stinger "being a cleaner" and other irrelevant crap such as that. When you grow up I'll read the replies to the posts you have gone to the trouble of writing.
I seriously feel like I've gone back to the middle of high school when conversing with you on here. You're like the one at school who is a "loudmouth" and just calls out crap to be the constant centre of attention and considering you claim to be almost 50, I wonder when you're going to grow up? It's one thing to do it when you're supposed to have the maturity of an "adolescent" but when you're supposed to be grown up, it's just sad, seriously. You may not act like this in other parts of you of life, but you do on here and it's sad, if you are the age you say you are. You don't have to "get old", as you age, but you can mature, like a good wine. There's nothing wrong with that.
Seriously, when you're able to answer questions and respond to posts without the response I would expect from someone who is 14, I'll respond to them, and this (as you're on here so much) will be a far better place to come.
You seem to think most on here "hate you" because you try to put them "in their place" on what they've said, but I would suggest that it's far more the obnoxious and childish way you regularly go about things and how full of yourself you are that turns so many off (and away). Very few like a "big head" and you have the biggest of them all. You said in another thread recently how BigMArt had "tickets on himself" and I had a serious chuckle at that. I mean talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :lol: :shock:
Looking at him like that I hope you enjoyed that good look in the mirror.
I'm sure this will invoke another childish response, so I won't be reading it. You will of course want to try to turn the tables on me, as if the way I go about things has anything to do with how you should go about things, but that's the exact sort of immature sort of s*** I'm talking about. Constantly comparing yourself to others (who you clearly think you're superior to) and having these childish dick measuring contests, or citing what others do as some sort of proof that you should go about things a certain way is not a grown up way of going about things. If I want to have a conversation with someone that immature there are plenty of high schools near me I could go to.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 04 Dec 2011 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:No-one wants 20 changes plugger66 and that is why I rarely bother to read your replies to my posts, because you end up talking absolute crap like that and putting words in others mouths that they A: haven't said and B: don't want to happen. It's sad that you feel the need to stoop to that level time after time, like talking about Stinger "being a cleaner" and other irrelevant crap such as that. When you grow up I'll read the replies to the posts you have gone to the trouble of writing.
I seriously feel like I've gone back to the middle of high school when conversing with you on here. You're like the one at school who is a "loudmouth" and just calls out crap to be the constant centre of attention and considering you claim to be almost 50, I wonder when you're going to grow up? It's one thing to do it when you're supposed to have the maturity of an "adolescent" but when you're supposed to be grown up, it's just sad, seriously. You may not act like this in other parts of you of life, but you do on here and it's sad, if you are the age you say you are. You don't have to "get old", as you age, but you can mature, like a good wine. There's nothing wrong with that.
Seriously, when you're able to answer questions and respond to posts without the response I would expect from someone who is 14, I'll respond to them, and this (as you're on here so much) will be a far better place to come.
You seem to think most on here "hate you" because you try to put them "in their place" on what they've said, but I would suggest that it's far more the obnoxious and childish way you go about it and how full of yourself you are that turns so many off (and away). Very few like a "big head" and you have the biggest of them all. You said in another thread recently how BigMArt had "tickets on himself" and I had a serious chuckle at that. I mean talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :lol: :shock:
Looking at him like that I hope you enjoyed that good look in the mirror.
Excellent stuff especially after saying I put words into other peoples mouth. Not once have I ever said BM has tickets on himself. Not once. Never. And not once have I said people hate me. Others have I responded because it is childish like your pots. You are having a guess at what I was like at school now it is my turn. You were the one who picked your footy team at school and then dropped the best player after one poor game. You were the one who suggested we play the new kid at school because of corse he was better than others in the side. You were the one who changed the side around even though you constantly made zone finals and you were the one who wanted to play 4 fast bowlers because that is experimental. Oh yes and you were the one when challenged how silly some of the ideas are attacked that person because you didnt have anything to come back with.

Now you can see we can both guess what we were like at school. The only difference is you are obviously still there.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Can someone explain to me how we went from a Grand Final in 97 with a young side to wooden spooners in 2000 when 2/3 of our GF team was still on the list.

What the hell happened?

I don't remember much given I less than 10 when it all happened.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Matty Lappin traded
Joel Smith not offered a good contract
Rob Harvey injured
S.Loewe injured
Peter Everitt doing as he liked
Barry Hall punching people out
Jason Cripps ripping his hamstring off the bone
Tony Brown lost his form
Aussie Jones got a bit ahead of himself
Jason Heatly was getting pissed and spending more time in the TAB than training
Tim Watson couldnt coach a pig to be dirty

and some rotton luck

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Matty Lappin traded
Joel Smith not offered a good contract
Rob Harvey injured
S.Loewe injured
Peter Everitt doing as he liked
Barry Hall punching people out
Jason Cripps ripping his hamstring off the bone
Tony Brown lost his form
Aussie Jones got a bit ahead of himself
Jason Heatly was getting pissed and spending more time in the TAB than training
Tim Watson couldnt coach a pig to be dirty

and some rotton luck
That would explain it.

Genuinely much appreciated

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Frankie
Club Player

There was even more to it than that! There were a lot of changes with our second tier players from 1997/98 as well that killed our side's depth.
The retirements of Rod Keogh, Lazar Vidovic and Jayson Daniels meant we lost a lot of hardness and mongrel.
Steve Sziller's form dropped away and he was traded to the tigers,
Jamie Shanahan being blamed by some for the GF loss forced him out to Melbourne so we lost our best fullback before either of the Wakelins realised that it was their best position.
We got a good couple of years out of Matty Young, but he fell away really quickly in 2000. Also usually reliable players like Burke and Peckett had quiet years around then.
Not second tier, but Winmar got old and ended up at the Bulldogs
Pretty much all of our youngsters didn't live up to expectations - Sierakowski, McLaren, Traianidis, Neale, Healy etc. etc.
Trading and drafting in the late 90's was terrible also - Hayes, Baker and Blake aside, we did very badly! Ryan, Plapp, Delaney, Cranage, Beetham, Knowles, Begley, Charles, Walton, Mitchell, Monkhurst and Francis etc. all did very little. We actually drafted a decent player in Matthew Carr, but after a year or two traded him to Freo where he was a regular in the ones for years.
The guts of that team was very different even before Timmy started coaching, but he only made it worse!

savatage
SS Life Member

People tend to remember players as a lot better than they really were.

Was a very highly rated youngster, played some very solid games early on - but he lacked pace & that become more evident as his career unfolded & he had no penetration in his kicking which resulted in too many floaters when we were needing precision from him.

He was a GOP who played a number of very good games with us.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx
Former St Kilda Player Tony Brown and Strength and Conditioning Manager Josh Low will be the Saints team runners on game day during the 2012 season.
He has returned to the club after eleven years and on game day will join Josh, who after being a part-time fitness assistant was appointed as the Strength and Conditioning Manager in November.

philtee
Club Player

Stan Alves, 1997 Coach Of The Year, terminated in 1998. Replaced by a certain T. Watson.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Frankie wrote:Pretty much all of our youngsters didn't live up to expectations - Sierakowski, McLaren, Traianidis, Neale, Healy etc. etc.
Trading and drafting in the late 90's was terrible also - Hayes, Baker and Blake aside, we did very badly! Ryan, Plapp, Delaney, Cranage, Beetham, Knowles, Begley, Charles, Walton, Mitchell, Monkhurst and Francis etc. all did very little. We actually drafted a decent player in Matthew Carr, but after a year or two traded him to Freo where he was a regular in the ones for years.
Interesting post

It also makes me wonder how bad our eye for talent and development was at the time.

Sierkowski's last year for us was actually very good... always thought he would have done well finishing his career at us. Still we def won out of the Gehrig trade.
Too bad Will got injured so early at WCE

McLaren, Neill and Healy never went anywhere and never looked like much

Trianedes I always thought could have developed

Plapp and Beetham both had potential

Carr looked ok, I guess he wanted to go home though

stinger
Saintsational Legend

brown was shafted ..well and good.....he went on to win the medal for best in fairest in the sanfl and captain his club...

from wikipedia....

"Tony Brown (born 28 May 1977) is an Australian rules footballer who has played in the AFL and the SANFL.

Recruited from Geelong Falcons, Brown made his AFL debut in 1995 with the St Kilda Football Club. Playing as a rover, Brown was a hard-running player, even if he was not as flashy as the young brigade around the mid-90s at St Kilda, consisting of Austinn Jones and Joel Smith.

Brown played in St Kilda’s 1996 AFL Ansett Australia Cup winning side - the club's first AFL Cup win.[1]

Brown played in 21 of 22 matches in the 1997 AFL Premiership Season home and away rounds in which St Kilda Football Club qualified in first position for the 1997 AFL Finals Series, winning the club’s 2nd Minor Premiership and 1st McClelland Trophy.[2]

At the end of the 2000 season, Brown left St Kilda. He had 108 AFL games and 62 goals to his credit.

Brown moved to SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies, where he became captain, and in 2001 was the joint winner of the Magarey Medal for the best and fairest player in the SANFL. He quit the club at the end of 2005. He is currently playing for Old Haileybury in the VAFA.

He also taught at Sandringham East primary school, as a year 5/6 teacher in 2006, then moved on to teaching at Hailebury college in 2008.

he and low ..our fitness guy will be our runners this year...that other turkey got the flick and thank the coach for that... :wink: :wink:

Frankie
Club Player

Don't get me wrong I loved Siera - he played some great games for us later on as a mobile ruck. Tough too - I saw Glen Archer bounce off him once trying to lay a bump! (incidentally Brown played out of the middle in that game and was very handy)
Unfortunately Watson insisted on playing Tim Elliott ahead of him in the middle - I saw a game at the G, I think in 2000 and Siera killed it for a quarter then Watson moved him out of the ruck and we got smashed. After two quarters of Watson being booed by the fans as he made his way down to the huddles he moved him back in and he was awesome again.
I think Watson was a nice enough bloke but even he was prepared to admit he was rubbish as a coach!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:brown was shafted ..well and good.....he went on to win the medal for best in fairest in the sanfl and captain his club...

from wikipedia....

"Tony Brown (born 28 May 1977) is an Australian rules footballer who has played in the AFL and the SANFL.

Recruited from Geelong Falcons, Brown made his AFL debut in 1995 with the St Kilda Football Club. Playing as a rover, Brown was a hard-running player, even if he was not as flashy as the young brigade around the mid-90s at St Kilda, consisting of Austinn Jones and Joel Smith.

Brown played in St Kilda’s 1996 AFL Ansett Australia Cup winning side - the club's first AFL Cup win.[1]

Brown played in 21 of 22 matches in the 1997 AFL Premiership Season home and away rounds in which St Kilda Football Club qualified in first position for the 1997 AFL Finals Series, winning the club’s 2nd Minor Premiership and 1st McClelland Trophy.[2]

At the end of the 2000 season, Brown left St Kilda. He had 108 AFL games and 62 goals to his credit.

Brown moved to SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies, where he became captain, and in 2001 was the joint winner of the Magarey Medal for the best and fairest player in the SANFL. He quit the club at the end of 2005. He is currently playing for Old Haileybury in the VAFA.

He also taught at Sandringham East primary school, as a year 5/6 teacher in 2006, then moved on to teaching at Hailebury college in 2008.

he and low ..our fitness guy will be our runners this year...that other turkey got the flick and thank the coach for that... :wink: :wink:
"Turkey"?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:brown was shafted ..well and good.....he went on to win the medal for best in fairest in the sanfl and captain his club...

from wikipedia....

"Turkey"?
The old Blonde dude who kept getting pinged by the umps for not having a clue, the same dude who used to sit next to Spud in the Richmond coaches box....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Nikky Rixon
Club Player

Tony won the magarey medal , theres some great players in the SANFL this day and age after the medal win he could of been given another go

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Nikky Rixon wrote:Tony won the magarey medal , theres some great players in the SANFL this day and age after the medal win he could of been given another go
brodie atkinson also won the magarey. never quite made it in the big time though.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I don't know about being "shafted" as such.

Tony lacked a bit of pace and was dreadfully one-footed. His right foot from memory was only good for standing on.

Knew how to get hold of the ball though.

Was sussed out by opposition coaches and either caught on the wrong foot or caught in possession a lot of the time.

The slower pace of the SANFL obviously suited him.

Good leader of men.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
parky
Club Player

and i believe his wife has just had twins (boy and girl) so congratulations are in order and hopefully a father-son selection in 2028 :D