Captain material

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Bu I would say from 2012 onwards
Nds (with dempster as a dark horse skipper)
Then farren ray.
Then seb ross
OMG.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:You can bet your boots that captaincy of the GWS will be offered to BJ. I expect their first captain will be James McDonald or another of the old blokes, who will have the job for one year.
Or Scott Pendlebury

Kilda
Club Player

Yes, I agree with Con G that Lenny's days as capt have passed...I can see no stand out natural born leader amongst the under 23's as yet so like others I believe BJ is the obvious alternative to Roo.

Whether that lure could be enough to keep him a Saint for his career remains the great conundrum.

I believe that if we are to retain BJ beyond 2012 then he needs to be re-signed by about March-April. If this window of time passes, I suspect he's gone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote:Yes, I agree with Con G that Lenny's days as capt have passed...I can see no stand out natural born leader amongst the under 23's as yet so like others I believe BJ is the obvious alternative to Roo.

Whether that lure could be enough to keep him a Saint for his career remains the great conundrum.

I believe that if we are to retain BJ beyond 2012 then he needs to be re-signed by about March-April. If this window of time passes, I suspect he's gone.
I hope you are right but I reckon he would be mad to sign by then. Surely you would wait and see how the club is going before re signing. If we finished top 6 and the youngsters showed a lot he may think money isnt as important as having another shot at the flag but if we finished outside the 8 and the youngsters still looked years away he would be mad not to consider going.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:The offer of the captaincy may be the straw that will keep BJ from going to GWS.
If we are going to try and argue about gettting compensation for BJ then giving him the captaincy will only increase his percieved value

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Kilda
Club Player

Compared to your average punter, BJ is already on a great salary...and if he has been sensible with his $, has probably set himself up nicely for the rest of his life. Surely being remembered as a one club player holds as much sway as does extra dollops of cream from GWS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote:Compared to your average punter, BJ is already on a great salary...and if he has been sensible with his $, has probably set himself up nicely for the rest of his life. Surely being remembered as a one club player holds as much sway as does extra dollops of cream from GWS.
But compared to an AFL footballer he isnt probably in the top 30. If he is then offerred enough money to be in the top 3 why wouldnt he take it if he thinks our run is over. He owes us nothing. He isnt a suupporter unlike us and who knows how other players feel about him at our club.

I reckon the one club players thing is crap anyway. Does anyone care that Lockett, Brereton or Carey didnt play at one club and do they give a stuff either. I doubt it without knowing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I still think GWS would be mad not to chase Pendles for their captain, younger, and a gun.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I still think GWS would be mad not to chase Pendles for their captain, younger, and a gun.
What about chasing both. That would make even more sense.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote:Compared to your average punter, BJ is already on a great salary...and if he has been sensible with his $, has probably set himself up nicely for the rest of his life.
yep, but what's that got to do with anything?
Kilda wrote:Surely being remembered as a one club player holds as much sway as does extra dollops of cream from GWS.
maybe for some people. maybe not for others. we'll find out next october.

wally
Club Player

Lenny was my choice for captain,but I think it's too late now.
BJ looks to be next in line, I don't think he should be given the captainancy and get paid more than we can afford to MAKE him stay.No more salary cap pressure.NDS has improved over time but more of a quiet acheiver in the Rob Harvey mould.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Other than the current Captain and Vice Captain, only Brendan Goddard, Sam Fisher and Nick Dal Santo have any chance of being named captain of the saints in the next 3-5 years.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:BJ looks to be next in line, I don't think he should be given the captainancy and get paid more than we can afford to MAKE him stay.No more salary cap pressure.
it won't be salary cap pressure because we'll offer him a rising contract which will start to really kick in after a year or two. at that point hayes, milne, kosi and riewoldt will be gone; montagna and dal on the way down. plenty of salary cap room freed up there.

and anyway, there should always be salary cap pressure because if you're not paying 99% of the cap then you're doing something wrong.

wally
Club Player

I realise there's always going to be someone else offering more dough to entice players, I'd like to see the salary cap spread across the group, rather than a couple of top end players, then losing players or not recruiting due to restrictions or no room to move. I thought from memory those back end contracts end up causing grief down the track,as for currrent guys declining and costing less the natural cycle means others will improve or be recruited demanding more money.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:I realise there's always going to be someone else offering more dough to entice players, I'd like to see the salary cap spread across the group, rather than a couple of top end players, then losing players or not recruiting due to restrictions or no room to move.
the problem with that is it means you're overpaying for some gops, and underpaying for the stars. if we'd spread it evenly across the group then lenny and roo would be on $450k each when they could easily get $700k elsewhere. $250k is pretty tough temptation to resist for anyone.

so then basically all the stars leave and you end up with a richmond list - full of overpaid gops but with no stars to make them look like good players. nasty position to be in.

geelong's the only team that can get away with systematically underpaying and that's because they have a point of difference - small country town feel still near a big city - over every other club. and even they got hurt with the ablett thing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Bu I would say from 2012 onwards
Nds (with dempster as a dark horse skipper)
Then farren ray.
Then seb ross
OMG.
OMG what?
im just having a bit of fun with the crystal ball!
2012-2014 nds (or dempster)
2015-2016 faz
2017 onwards - seb :lol: