Coach appointment question...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Coach appointment question...

Can anyone remind me with any level of authority who was competing for the Saints coaching job prior to the appointment of Lyon?

Who were the frontrunners?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintlee
Club Player

Re: Coach appointment question...

Thinline wrote:Can anyone remind me with any level of authority who was competing for the Saints coaching job prior to the appointment of Lyon?

I'm pretty certain the front runners in the media were Longmire, McKenna and Chris Bond. I think they were the other short-listed candidates....then Lyon bobbed up and stole the bikkies

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

saintlee wrote:
Thinline wrote:Can anyone remind me with any level of authority who was competing for the Saints coaching job prior to the appointment of Lyon?

I'm pretty certain the front runners in the media were Longmire, McKenna and Chris Bond. I think they were the other short-listed candidates....then Lyon bobbed up and stole the bikkies
Longmire was a very short favourite for the job (although his nickname may suggest he is anything but short) :wink:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I believe there was also a point at which they were looking seriously at Daryn Cresswell, but then I think he got accused of some sort of serious crime (rape?).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

IluvHarvey wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Longmire was a very short favourite for the job (although his nickname may suggest he is anything but short) :wink:
thats how I remember it, Saints really wanted him (as did a few other clubs) but when Roos retired Longmire became the preferred front runner for the swans job.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
saintlee wrote:

thats how I remember it, Saints really wanted him (as did a few other clubs) but when Roos retired Longmire became the preferred front runner for the swans job.
Im pretty sure we rejected Longmire. I dont think he rejected us. Roos wasnt leaving at that stage.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:I believe there was also a point at which they were looking seriously at Daryn Cresswell, but then I think he got accused of some sort of serious crime (rape?).
fraud or bad checks I believe, def not rape

link for you

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/former ... 5747087983

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:
meher baba wrote:I believe there was also a point at which they were looking seriously at Daryn Cresswell, but then I think he got accused of some sort of serious crime (rape?).
fraud or bad checks I believe, def not rape

link for you

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/former ... 5747087983
He did have a sexual assault complaint against him at one stage but I think nothing eventuated from it. He DID go to Jail for Fraud at one stage.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Im pretty sure we rejected Longmire. I dont think he rejected us. Roos wasnt leaving at that stage.
obviously Roos hadnt announced leaving at the stage, but you always got the feeling that the swans had a succession plan in mind to promote from within. The fact that Lyon was four years older would have been a factor.
I also remember OTC Butterrs nutting on about Y-gen speak as being a major factor in the new coaches role. Longmire fitted that model better than Lyon ever did.
Still maintain that all the buzz at the time was about Longmire, not Lyon.

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
saintlee wrote:

obviously Roos hadnt announced leaving at the stage, but you always got the feeling that the swans had a succession plan in mind to promote from within. The fact that Lyon was four years older would have been a factor.
I also remember OTC Butterrs nutting on about Y-gen speak as being a major factor in the new coaches role. Longmire fitted that model better than Lyon ever did.
Still maintain that all the buzz at the time was about Longmire, not Lyon.
All the buzz was about Longmire but all I am saying is we picked RL over Longmire. Longmire definitely wanted the job.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gambling stuff wasnt it?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

story went that late in the process Walls suggested Lyon.
Lyon spent the 24 hours before presentation with SOS and Elshaugh putting together his application-.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

After GT was sacked... it was heavily implied that Daryn Cresswel was the man the board had in mind as has already been suggested until "negative media" essentially took him out of the picture.

John Longmuire
Chris Bond
Guy McKenna
Mark Harvey

were the early mentioned names whilst despite publically declaring he wasn't interested Gary Lyon's name kept popping up again and again.

I have the vaguest recollection that Laidley's name was bandied around by the media too

Mark Harvey was ruled out after he revealed himself to be a a giant douche by demanding to be automatically shortlisted

McKenna, Longmuire and Bond were reported to be the main 3

And an announcement was to be made early next week.

I remember over that final w/e whilst speculation was at it's highest... a forumite reported that a secret I/V was held at 6pm on Friday afternoon for a man named Lyon... which sent the forum spinning and Gary Lyo become the rumoured front runner.

Final order was revealed:
4. McKenna
3. Longmuire
2. Bond - apparently relly interview well
1. Ross Lyon

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

And then history shows Lyon came close to winning a flag but no cigar..

Then Lyon showed himself to be a Lyin snake looking to make restitution on his bad investments by essentially selling himself to the highest, easiest bidder , whilst duping the Saints into thinking he was going to sign with them...

Hence, a big win for the Saints due to a new coaching set up, a modernised game plan ,a bigger emphasis on player development and some more of Lyin's hacks moved on....The end of an era...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Only difference between Lyon and Judas is Judas showed a modicum of remorse.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

What a great find it was. A coach that brought a great gameplan with a great attitude. Season 2009 wont be forgetton.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:What a great find it was. A coach that brought a great gameplan with a great attitude. Season 2009 wont be forgetton.
There is no forgetton failure at the final hurdle. 2009 and 2010

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I remember there being speculation at the time that Garry Lyon could get the job, and when Ross got the job, I remember picking up the paper that morning and seeing the headline, "Lyon gets saints job," and I nearly vomited because I thought they'd hired Garry. They ended up getting the right man. Sheer rotten-bastard luck that he never delivered a flag.

BUT

the past is the past. I admire what Lyon brought to the club and forgive him for the manner in which he departed, because we have the future to look forward to, and its looking prettay, prettay, prettay good I reckon

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
onlooker
Club Player

Final order was revealed:
4. McKenna
3. Longmuire
2. Bond - apparently relly interview well
1. Ross Lyon[/quote]

Agreed these were the final candidates although I heard the former President (Rod B) on the radio approx 12 months ago who said the selection panel had McKenna as a clear second choice to Lyon.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Then Lyon showed himself to be a Lyin snake looking to make restitution on his bad investments by essentially selling himself to the highest, easiest bidder , whilst duping the Saints into thinking he was going to sign with them....The end of an era...
:lol: "Bad Investments" - is that what they call it these days??

"Sorry Mrs SEN, I made a bad investment on Cup Day!" - regards Mr SEN

:lol:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I also remember OTC Butterrs nutting on about Y-gen speak as being a major factor in the new coaches role.
I remember that interview well and I have never been more disappointed in a Saints president before or since.

He espoused the Gen-Y speak as a major reason that he got rid of GT. I remember thinking to myself that GT has 8 kids. If anyone can speak Gen-Y then it is him.

I tuned into that show looking for a genuine reason as to why they'd sacked a coach with a very good record and relationship with the players. All I got was spin.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
bobmurray wrote: Then Lyon showed himself to be a Lyin snake looking to make restitution on his bad investments by essentially selling himself to the highest, easiest bidder , whilst duping the Saints into thinking he was going to sign with them....The end of an era...
:lol: "Bad Investments" - is that what they call it these days??

"Sorry Mrs SEN, I made a bad investment on Cup Day!" - regards Mr SEN

:lol:
Ask the Lyin snake...he's the one who said he invested his money in crap and lost his nest egg, he's the one who said he needed to show his family he wasn't a knob, that he could con some club into reintroducing him to wealth and prosperity...

Come in Freo.... :roll:

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Bad investments indeed:LOVETT~

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
ace
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Only difference between Lyon and Judas is Judas showed a modicum of remorse.
I think Lyon will get paid a lot more, certainly more than thirty pieces of silver.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA