Who thinks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:No reason we are not up for a tilt at the flag if the cards fall our way and others don't kick on.

Geelong will struggle to cover the retirements etc. Pies could go either way. Carlton and west coast should improve again. Freo should bolt if injury free.

We had a terrible injury run this year and should have better luck. If we adjust to the changes and get the best from our core we will go well.
I must have watched a different side because apart from Lenny early and Jimmy late we had a great run with out top players, injury wise. Matter of fact that could be an issue next year. it will be hard to have such a good run again.
Riewoldt and Kosi both had trouble with their knee and ankle respectively. Gram looked restricted, most of our promising young guys missed games due to various injuries.
Gardi didn't get back, Goddard apparently had post season surgery, Geary broke bones, Montagna looked like he struggled with a couple of injuries to a groin and hand.
Stanley did a hammy, etc. etc. ... but any team with injuries to it best two players will struggle and if Goddrd was playing injured the best three.
If they played they were fit.
Worst cliche in AFL football.

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:No reason we are not up for a tilt at the flag if the cards fall our way and others don't kick on.

Geelong will struggle to cover the retirements etc. Pies could go either way. Carlton and west coast should improve again. Freo should bolt if injury free.

We had a terrible injury run this year and should have better luck. If we adjust to the changes and get the best from our core we will go well.
I must have watched a different side because apart from Lenny early and Jimmy late we had a great run with out top players, injury wise. Matter of fact that could be an issue next year. it will be hard to have such a good run again.
Riewoldt and Kosi both had trouble with their knee and ankle respectively. Gram looked restricted, most of our promising young guys missed games due to various injuries.
Gardi didn't get back, Goddard apparently had post season surgery, Geary broke bones, Montagna looked like he struggled with a couple of injuries to a groin and hand.
Stanley did a hammy, etc. etc. ... but any team with injuries to it best two players will struggle and if Goddrd was playing injured the best three.
If they played they were fit.
Worst cliche in AFL football.
Yes but when we are discussing our injuries we know who played sore because we follow our side but who says every other side didnt have as many in the same boat so if that is the case when discussing injuries compared to other sides we can only go by players who actually missed games. We didnt have many of our best 22 miss games. By the way most players from all sides play with niggles for most of the year.

Kernal75
Club Player

8-10 for mine.
Even if Lenny get's back he'll have minimal impact this year.
Lyin Bastard stagnated the development of our younger players No FB.
New coach and gameplan and a comparitive lack of skill accross the board means we slide a bit further.
Our record against Top 8 sides last year was ordinary, most of those sides will get better.
I think we take our medicine, blood the kids and start forward planning for life after a current crop of stars!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:8-10 for mine.
New coach and gameplan and a comparitive lack of skill accross the board means we slide a bit further.
Our record against Top 8 sides last year was ordinary, most of those sides will get better.
I think we take our medicine, blood the kids and start forward planning for life after a current crop of stars!
Not sure it will be the same as Lyon's move in to his position. He had us fundamentally change tack from all out attack to all out defence. Scott will keep the best of what we learnt and add some more attacking options.

I have a really good feeling he has seen what can be done with Geelong and is going to model us on invigorating tired campaigners than rebuild.

He is well regarded as a people person that has guys playing with confidence and belief where RL was your old school tough love type.

If we can get a FB replacement that stands up we should be as good a chance as any.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We'll wait and see. The best draw I've ever seen the club been gifted... It's important to remember that the club dropped several very winnable games in the first half of the season that would have had us top 4. Won 10 of the last 12 and never really looked as if we were in good form.

It'll be interesting to see how the young kids come on next year. I'm really looking forward to watching Siposs, Cripps and Ledger play next year. They all looked to add something to the team. Benny Mac will keep getting better.

I'm not going to do any serious crystal ball gazing about next year because I really don't have any sense of how the season might pan out. 2011 can go to the vault and never be looked at again for several reasons as far as I'm concerned. Rested bodies... big pre season... breath of fresh air through the club and a lot of seasoned class footballers still on the list... Write St.Kilda off at your own peril. There really is no need to be too negative too soon.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:8-10 for mine.
Not sure it will be the same as Lyon's move in to his position. He had us fundamentally change tack from all out attack to all out defence. Scott will keep the best of what we learnt and add some more attacking options.

I have a really good feeling he has seen what can be done with Geelong and is going to model us on invigorating tired campaigners than rebuild.

He is well regarded as a people person that has guys playing with confidence and belief where RL was your old school tough love type.

If we can get a FB replacement that stands up we should be as good a chance as any.
The reference to the year Geelong had this year is an interesting one for mine. IMO we don't have anywhere near the talent Geelong had available this year. But I suppose 2012 is just around the corner and we'll see then but I'm not holding out much hope for a finals berth and if we do make it you can't help but think we'd only be making up the numbers...again.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Depends on so many factors, injuries, new game plan and form of the top players...
Hard to call it this early - maybe 7-10 finish :shock:

How hard is to predict when WCE came from 16 in 2010 to 4 in 2011
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 14 Dec 2011 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The draw certainly helps although it is important to note that the draw will probably inflate our position if we were to make the top 4.

Our list is plain weird now. A bunch of guns and gops who are 27+ and then a bunch of kids who are 18-22.

Oh and Fazza Razza.