What I keep hoping for......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

What I keep hoping for......

What I keep hoping for is that player who simply comes from nowhere.

We can look at our list at any time and pick players who should hopefully improve with maturity and experience. And rated on what we know to date, make some assessment of where they might be next season. And that then colours our view on how the team itself will perform during the season.

What I would really like to see is the guy who totally leapfrogs natural improvement. The guy who totally surprises all of us. The one for who the penny has dropped; the stars have aligned. A player who to date has either not played, has played a few games or has simply been a part of the team. But who in 2012 not only demands to be selected each week, but who actually impacts games.

I'm not nominating anyone here as such a player may not exist. But other clubs have occasionally had someone come from the clouds and I'll really like to see the Saints benefit at some stage.

It could be someone who's been around for a while now without showing much, like a Stanley or Winmar.

It could be someone off the Rookie List such as a Ferguson or Andreoli

It could be any of the kids we picked up last year.

It could even be someone like an Armitage, who goes from a solid first 22 player to a really top midfielder.

It could be anyone. The key being the player produces in 2012 something far in excess of anything that could possibly have been predicted.

Maybe next year will be another year where this phenomenon doesn't appear but I'll keep crossing my fingers til it happens.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about next year but I still think ferguson can be the one if he can get fully fit. As for next year I think Siposs shows the most class out of our youngsters but he does play in a very hard position.

We are due for someone to come out of no where. We havent had many if any for years.

jays
Club Player

me too and win the granny hehe

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

maybe Wilkes out of left field as a monster forward utility - will see

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Steven had a bit of hype but he kind of fits that bill. They are still fairly rare the Joel Selwoods, most need a few seasons to get going at full pace. At least we have a few from outside the system in the early 20s age group. They are still more likely to get going early. Saad will be ok if he can keep his pace advantage in a higher comp.

Cripps and Ledger could have been pretty close if injury and opportunity didn't get in the way.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure about next year but I still think ferguson can be the one if he can get fully fit. As for next year I think Siposs shows the most class out of our youngsters but he does play in a very hard position.

We are due for someone to come out of no where. We havent had many if any for years.
Steven came out of nowhere

Another opportunity awaits!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It used to happen quite regularly.....that's how we keep getting champion Saints players....we must be due...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

2 or 3 would be handy.

OK I'm dreaming.

But of the crop of debutants last year I was particularly impressed by Siposs, Ledger and Simpkin.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Joey kinda fits that bill for years he was just an average in one week out the next player.. Then bang he's one of the better mids in the comp ... Dempster was just a plodder who came very good all of a sudden ... BJ had a slow start before becoming a great player ...

Of the new crop I hope Steven and armo make that next step up to be regarded as thebetter players in the comp ... But I also crave for a kid to just go bang like a selwood or Cyril or Barlow

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm greedy too. I'd like to think that Sippos, Stanley & Ledger can step up and have an impact in 2012 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mids are more likely to explode onto the scene. So for me Ledge and Cripps are most likely. Simpkin looked like he was ready from Sandy form but didn't look like he took to the AFL as well.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

A couple of Sipos' cameo performances whetted my appetite but suspect he might be 2013/2014 prospect.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I'm hoping Curren will be the one to step up.....

Hold your ground :shock:
Middo
Club Player

Daniel Markworth for me to bring something special to our team.
Reckon Ledger will have the most impact and become a regular with an outside chance to win the rising star .... !!!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If our best get back to their best the lesser players will get picked up in their slipstream.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Sainter93
Club Player

I'm thinking that Cripps and Simpkin will step up immensely!

PJ
SS Life Member

I get what everyone is saying about Steven - gutsy in and under player that knows how to get the ball but gee his disposal is disappointing.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Joey kinda fits that bill for years he was just an average in one week out the next player.. Then bang he's one of the better mids in the comp ... Dempster was just a plodder who came very good all of a sudden ... BJ had a slow start before becoming a great player ...

Of the new crop I hope Steven and armo make that next step up to be regarded as thebetter players in the comp ... But I also crave for a kid to just go bang like a selwood or Cyril or Barlow

Thats because under Grant Thomas, Monty was nothing more than a role player. RL came in and gave him a solid go in the midfield and he showed what he was capable of.

For me, the player most likely to have the biggest improvement and go from a mid-tier player to a top-liner is Jack Steven.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I get what everyone is saying about Steven - gutsy in and under player that knows how to get the ball but gee his disposal is disappointing.
I think his disposal under pressure looks disappointing but he can snag a goal and get the ball. he was asked to pretty much take on Ball and Lennys in and under spot with Jones a lot of times. Both look worse at disposing of the footy because they were pressured more than they have been in the past.

Steven might settle down once he has a few more games under his belt, he was a forward pocket when they first played him now he's expected to do a heap more.

He had the ability to score a bag against Geelong early on he should be a beauty.