Dawson ready to repay faith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He must be a freakin' genius to have been crap but get overs when he is apparently way below standard for the AFL. I thought he was meant to be dumb?

I reckon it wasn't the money it was Seafords fault.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He must be a freakin' genius to have been crap but get overs when he is apparently way below standard for the AFL. I thought he was meant to be dumb?

I reckon it wasn't the money it was Seafords fault.
SACK THE CLOWNS!!!

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Why the hate for Dawson?

He played in a back six that was almost inpenetratable in 09 and again excellent in 2010.

He did his job week in week out.

Was not the most talented player but did what was asked of him.

Walked when offered about $100k more than the Saints could offer.

Many hailed Ball as being a professional for walking for more money, why not Dawson?

Fair Dinkum, fickle supporters :roll:

Hope he goes crap for Freo, but thats just because I want everyone but the Saints to go crap.
I was fine with him going.

He just didn't have to make the crap up about being away, and found he was delisted before he knew it, came as a surprise blah blah.

Just say I walked for the $

Not hard to do surely.
"Made-up crap"???? It seems to me that you are the one making up crap by assuming that Dawson lied or that he walked for the $ only when he said there were other factors too.

There is not a shred of evidence to indicate that the club did not change its mind about Dawson while he was away - a change that may have been reflected not just in $ terms but in terms of the length of contract offered and other things that Pelchen or Nettlefold may have said to him that neither you nor I were privy to.

Just as a person may be constructively dismissed despite the appearance of a contract of employment continuing formally to be in effect, so some contracts are offered with the intention that they be rejected. There are plenty of reason for doing this - not least the fact that from a public relations standpoint, it looks better for the club if Dawson is made to look like the one who walked.
Why the angst?

He can have whatever reasons he wants, however he chose publicly to show mock surprise at his delisting. I fail to see how his delisting could come as a surprise when he didn't sign a contract (that had been on the table since mid year) and went on holidays.

I'll back the club on this one, over a guy at his third club by 25.
"Mock surprise"... "Making crap up" .... "at his third club by 25"...

What admirable specimens of reasoning.

Look, I can understand you becoming defensive and judgmental when you hear anything you fear may reflect badly on the club but there must be better ways of calming yourself than inventing stage directions for a scene you were not privy to or raising irrelevant arguments.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i genuinely rate zac as a good footballer. someone picks out scarlett - one the best fb's of all time and say zac is no good compared with him. nonetheless xac is still better than 10 other clubs fb's. zac is no hack im afraid.

occassionally he has a brain fade i agree. but most of the time he is pretty decent. the fact someone had to go this year for the TPP and it was him.

all i can say is i hope simpkin comes on - and we can all forget zac.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Not hard to (so called) 'beat' your opponent in the St Kilda back line. Limited entries into our defensive 50, flooding the back line so our full back is rarely left one out and with two duel AA's part of our back six (Goddard and Fisher). Zac will prosper at the Dockers because of the coach and game plan.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i genuinely rate zac as a good footballer. someone picks out scarlett - one the best fb's of all time and say zac is no good compared with him. nonetheless xac is still better than 10 other clubs fb's. zac is no hack im afraid.

occassionally he has a brain fade i agree. but most of the time he is pretty decent. the fact someone had to go this year for the TPP and it was him.

So you reckon you're the voice of reason?

There is absolutely no way that Dawson is better than 10 fullbacks in the league. But again that might be your stupid opinion! Don't forget that this was the team that McQualter could get a game with.

Another opportunity awaits!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:…that might be your stupid opinion!
pure

class

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:i genuinely rate zac as a good footballer. someone picks out scarlett - one the best fb's of all time and say zac is no good compared with him. nonetheless xac is still better than 10 other clubs fb's. zac is no hack im afraid.

There is absolutely no way that Dawson is better than 10 fullbacks in the league. But again that might be your stupid opinion! Don't forget that this was the team that McQualter could get a game with.
i swear mcqualter went 10 games straight in 2010 without touching the ball.

im not the voice of anything. but zac can play footy whether u like it or not and 196cm key defenders who take o the best fwds every week dont grow on trees. He was in the top 10 for 1%ers in the AFL for 2011.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 19 Dec 2011 3:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

It was also the same team in which both of those players played in 3 GF's in 2 years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Why the hate for Dawson?

He played in a back six that was almost inpenetratable in 09 and again excellent in 2010.

He did his job week in week out.

Was not the most talented player but did what was asked of him.

Walked when offered about $100k more than the Saints could offer.

Many hailed Ball as being a professional for walking for more money, why not Dawson?

Fair Dinkum, fickle supporters :roll:

Hope he goes crap for Freo, but thats just because I want everyone but the Saints to go crap.
I was fine with him going.

He just didn't have to make the crap up about being away, and found he was delisted before he knew it, came as a surprise blah blah.

Just say I walked for the $

Not hard to do surely.
"Made-up crap"???? It seems to me that you are the one making up crap by assuming that Dawson lied or that he walked for the $ only when he said there were other factors too.

There is not a shred of evidence to indicate that the club did not change its mind about Dawson while he was away - a change that may have been reflected not just in $ terms but in terms of the length of contract offered and other things that Pelchen or Nettlefold may have said to him that neither you nor I were privy to.

Just as a person may be constructively dismissed despite the appearance of a contract of employment continuing formally to be in effect, so some contracts are offered with the intention that they be rejected. There are plenty of reason for doing this - not least the fact that from a public relations standpoint, it looks better for the club if Dawson is made to look like the one who walked.
Why the angst?

He can have whatever reasons he wants, however he chose publicly to show mock surprise at his delisting. I fail to see how his delisting could come as a surprise when he didn't sign a contract (that had been on the table since mid year) and went on holidays.

I'll back the club on this one, over a guy at his third club by 25.
"Mock surprise"... "Making crap up" .... "at his third club by 25"...

What admirable specimens of reasoning.

Look, I can understand you becoming defensive and judgmental when you hear anything you fear may reflect badly on the club but there must be better ways of calming yourself than inventing stage directions for a scene you were not privy to or raising irrelevant arguments.
So I don't like what he said in his interview now he is a Docker, big deal. I can't possibly believe his delisting came as a shock to him. If so, he has a terrible manager.

I think there has been some monumental stuff ups at St Kilda over the past 24 months, including poor management and the leadership from the CEO, and terrible performances from the marketing departments as far as sponsors, stadium signage etc etc.

So you see, I am quite capable myself of saying stuff that may reflect badly on the club.

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

It was also the same team in which both of those players played in 3 GF's in 2 years.
Unfortunately we had weaknesses...barely better than witches hats

Like Gringo says..we may need to watch him play for another side to see how bad he really is.

I did notice that when Dawson did not play the results were the same...witches hat theory works

IMO Dawson would struggle for a game playing under any other coach than Lyon...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Like Gringo says..we may need to watch him play for another side to see how bad he really is.

I did notice that when Dawson did not play the results were the same...witches hat theory works

Its funny but in both those years we lost I think the side we played got more in the AA side so I am confused. We didnt have as many better players and we had apparently far more worse players but we drew one GF and apart from bad kicking could have won another. I just cant work out how we got so close. And it cant be the coach because he is a one trick ponu and I have been told by some on here made mistakes in both GF's. Even more confusing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Its funny but in both those years we lost I think the side we played got more in the AA side so I am confused. We didnt have as many better players and we had apparently far more worse players but we drew one GF and apart from bad kicking could have won another. I just cant work out how we got so close. And it cant be the coach because he is a one trick ponu and I have been told by some on here made mistakes in both GF's. Even more confusing.
Was almost exactly what I was going nto say.

Can't have it both ways. The coach is a dud, certain players in the team are/were witches hats (mcqualter and Zac already named) and yet we nearly pulled off beating two of the best teams in the modern era. Now the coach was either a genious, or we had the best 5 players by far in the competition that carried everyone else. Neither was/is true, so some of these players that are supposedly total spuds probably can play a bit.

I reckon Zac's brain fades on occasions have made many of us become overly critical of him as a player.

I sure hope this thread isn't brought up mid year as a laughing point b/c our current full back(s) are struggling. Hopefully Simpkin or whoever can step up and we barely miss Zac. I personally think it won't be till mid year that many saints supporters actually realise how valuable Zac was.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Has any other club ever had two Zacs at the one time?

Sorry if this sounds trivial but the other stuff's getting a tad boring :P

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

2 zacs that would be a shilling, proving my point that Dawson ain't worth 2 BOB!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:2 zacs that would be a shilling, proving my point that Dawson ain't worth 2 BOB!
Hopefully Ross doesnt end up with a case of:

:P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe he was even suspended for his brain fades. He was hardly Gerhig where if he hit you it would worry you. Chris Judd and Swan have more "brain fades" but are not suspended?

I would love to know who people think the FBs that rate higher than zac are. Scarlett, Glass, possibly even one good season from Gibson? Brian Lake is over rated and prone to throwing seasons away with his brain fades, so who are the better ones?

Better than 10 others is about where he should be placed not elite but very solid and definitely close to that mark.

gurubob101
Club Player

gringo wrote:I can't believe he was even suspended for his brain fades. He was hardly Gerhig where if he hit you it would worry you. Chris Judd and Swan have more "brain fades" but are not suspended?

I would love to know who people think the FBs that rate higher than zac are. Scarlett, Glass, possibly even one good season from Gibson? Brian Lake is over rated and prone to throwing seasons away with his brain fades, so who are the better ones?

Better than 10 others is about where he should be placed not elite but very solid and definitely close to that mark.
I'm not a Zac hater. I like his attack on the ball and his closing speed but a quick glance at other team lists puts him a long way outside the top ten IMO.

Glass, Scarlett, Rutten, Merrett, Grundy, Carlisle, Frawley, Fletcher and McPharlin are way better players than poor old Zac.
Tarrant, Morris, Gibson and Thornton are more reliable than Dawson without being spectacular which leaves him sitting above Thompson from North, Rance from Richmond and whatever the GC and GWS trot out and prop up in the goal square.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:
gringo wrote:I can't believe he was even suspended for his brain fades. He was hardly Gerhig where if he hit you it would worry you. Chris Judd and Swan have more "brain fades" but are not suspended?

I'm not a Zac hater. I like his attack on the ball and his closing speed but a quick glance at other team lists puts him a long way outside the top ten IMO.

Glass, Scarlett, Rutten, Merrett, Grundy, Carlisle, Frawley, Fletcher and McPharlin are way better players than poor old Zac.
Tarrant, Morris, Gibson and Thornton are more reliable than Dawson without being spectacular which leaves him sitting above Thompson from North, Rance from Richmond and whatever the GC and GWS trot out and prop up in the goal square.
Have you watched any of those guys? Merrett has potential but he is not consistent, Gibson has had one good year, Frawley and Carlisle aren't better than Zac. I would have him less spectacular but more solid than Mc Pharlin and around the quality of Tarrant, Bock and Rutten. He's going to look better from a distance for a lot of our supporters.

I go to the Hawks games and watch the others on tv with a hawks supporter mate who always bags Zac and every game he begrudgingly says it was a lucky game as after watching him he does an excellent stopping job. I think a few will watch from a neutral point and realise he was pretty good.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:

Have you watched any of those guys? Merrett has potential but he is not consistent, Gibson has had one good year, Frawley and Carlisle aren't better than Zac. I would have him less spectacular but more solid than Mc Pharlin and around the quality of Tarrant, Bock and Rutten. He's going to look better from a distance for a lot of our supporters.

I go to the Hawks games and watch the others on tv with a hawks supporter mate who always bags Zac and every game he begrudgingly says it was a lucky game as after watching him he does an excellent stopping job. I think a few will watch from a neutral point and realise he was pretty good.
Ha ha ha

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:

Dawson > Frawley :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

Name the ten better full backs Moccha.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Some classic posts in this thread. Dawson is bloody hopeless and for those that think he's a good player, you'll see how good he is at the Wanchors next season. The lulz will be frequent...

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Scarlett
Reid
Grover/McPharlin
Gibson
Fletcher
Lake
Glass
Carlile
Frawley
Rutten
Jamison

Do you want me to keep going?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Scarlett
Reid
Grover/McPharlin
Gibson
Fletcher
Lake
Glass
Carlile
Frawley
Rutten

Do you want me to keep going?
Surely Carlisle and Frawley are better on potential not what they have done? Fletcher would be very similar in output to Dawson as would the freo guys and Reid.

Seriously you can't say any except Scarlett is a standout compared to Dawson. Lake is the only one that at his best is an obvious level above Zac and glass is a big old school full back that has the better record against the gorilla forwards. Dawson isn't necessarily better than any of the others just not any worse IMO.

Reid is an interesting comparison as i would say they are extremely similar types -rangy long armed athletic talls with good closing speed and suit the Buddy and Rooey type forwards. Both need to be part of a defensive unit to play their best footy.