I am Frank Coghlan - who are you?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mick13
Club Player

Was previously 2 days older than Tommy Lynch...need to reevaluate now.

Tommy Simpkin is a month and 6 days older than me!

Btw looks like they got Markworth's DOB wrong, isn't he a year older than the bottom agers?

iremember66
Club Player

iremember66 wrote:I'm Bill Cannon. I played my one and only game on 2nd Aug 1975.

Also playing that day was Trevor Barker, Robbie Muir and some fellow called Mick Malthouse.

Allan Jeans coached and be beat Geelong (at Waverley) by 4 points after trailing all day.

The Geelong team we beat included Rex Hunt and Sam Newman.

That was fun, I'm tired now - I think I'll retire.

Well done Bill Cannon wherever you are - you played one more game than I.
My wife however is Greg Burns - a champ in my view - loved watching him...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

iremember66 wrote:
iremember66 wrote:I'm Bill Cannon. I played my one and only game on 2nd Aug 1975.

Also playing that day was Trevor Barker, Robbie Muir and some fellow called Mick Malthouse.

Allan Jeans coached and be beat Geelong (at Waverley) by 4 points after trailing all day.

The Geelong team we beat included Rex Hunt and Sam Newman.

That was fun, I'm tired now - I think I'll retire.

Well done Bill Cannon wherever you are - you played one more game than I.
champ in my view - loved watching him...
I'm somewhere between McConvilee and my class mate Kiel.

anyone on Thomas or nettlefold yet
or a Harvey or Burke?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Bill worked as a Journalist.Seemed a nice enough fella , had a drink with him and Barks in the social club.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Bill worked as a Journalist.Seemed a nice enough fella , had a drink with him and Barks in the social club.
is he the producer behind 'On The Couch" that Healey always says about?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

sorry not sure, last saw him 76/77

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Gawd.............. can't escape one's childhood experiences..................... I've ended up Bill Barrot.

Didn't move far from my family home for me to morph into Barrot. Billy used to live in the next street to me in my childhood living in Ashwood from 1950's to late 1960's. We went to the same primary school.

As kids we all used to play street footy together. And I was a better stab pass than Billy!!!!

I bet if Roger does this for the Richmond team he will end up as Wes Barrot cause I think there was only a few weeks separating them in age.

Gee I thought I'd be more adventurous than turn out to be the 'kid next door". Guess the only movement I did was to play for three teams, Richmond, St Kilda & Carlton. :P

And to think you had to swap Ian Stewart to get me to the Saints :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've played a fair bit of golf with Lou Barrot over the years. It's a small world.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Stewart going and Barrot coming was the end of our greatest era.Sorry to open up old wounds but out Ball in Lovett gave me a sense of deja vu (before Lovett stuffed up)

St Lenny
Club Player

Do you seriously have to scroll through the lot? My column doesn't go blue.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Do you seriously have to scroll through the lot? My column doesn't go blue.
put your cursor on the DOB column and click.-
it will take a few seconds/ minutes to realign the whole list and then when Siposs is at the top ( new guys are not on the list as haven't played any games)
then just scroll down to yur year of birth.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Bill worked as a Journalist.Seemed a nice enough fella , had a drink with him and Barks in the social club.
And son of legendary journo Jack Cannon.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Sorry people but I am Robert Harvey.

To the day... 21/8..

/end thread.

:wink:
Gold. You lucky guy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Do you seriously have to scroll through the lot? My column doesn't go blue.
Stop it, or you'll blind.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
doggerel
Club Player

Sean Ralphsmith.....how depressing.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
busso mick
Club Player

I am Ken Sheldon, married to the voluptuos Rene Kink, with our two offspring Tom Simpkin and Jimmy Webster.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

doggerel wrote:Sean Ralphsmith.....how depressing.
Why? You were awesome in that 1992 final against the Pies.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
loris wrote:Gawd.............. can't escape one's childhood experiences..................... I've ended up Bill Barrot.

Didn't move far from my family home for me to morph into Barrot. Billy used to live in the next street to me in my childhood living in Ashwood from 1950's to late 1960's. We went to the same primary school.

As kids we all used to play street footy together. And I was a better stab pass than Billy!!!!

I bet if Roger does this for the Richmond team he will end up as Wes Barrot cause I think there was only a few weeks separating them in age.

Gee I thought I'd be more adventurous than turn out to be the 'kid next door". Guess the only movement I did was to play for three teams, Richmond, St Kilda & Carlton. :P

I've played a fair bit of golf with Lou Barrot over the years. It's a small world.
Lou was the baby Barrot of the family, I'm sure he was younger than Wes. Think he was the ginger headed one. The Barrot's lived on the Corner of Mulgrave & Yooralla St, we lived on the Corner of Jordan St & Katta Court.

The eldest kid that lived on the corner house got to be the captain of their side. Someone's Dad worked that formula out for selecting captain, it stopped fights amongst the kids who would be captain.

Maybe, Watters could use that formula for picking who will lead the Saints next year :idea: Oldest player that lives in a corner house!!!!!

As Bill & I were the oldest and lived on corner houses, we got to be captains. It had nothing to do with our leadership ability at all.

The matches were hard fought, take no prisoners attitude :twisted: Played on the asphalt road, the number of players in your team could vary considerably, depending on how many kids were home at the time. So you could have a team of 30 kids in one team playing a team of only 10 or so in the opposition.

Usually the ages of the rovers, or forward pocket players were only about 4-5years old. Us older ones up to about 14 years old were usually the ruck division or star full forwards against the midgets :P :P

Some times the match would last for hours, some kids going home for whatever reason for a spell (meal, homework) then coming back into the game, at any stage. I suppose that was the forerunner to the interchange bench!!

A game usually went on until light was too bad to see in, or Mum's would call us in because some cars were starting to appear in the streets as workers (usually Dads) were driving home.

The old sherrins used to get scuffed up a fair bit. We needed to change balls alot so one kids footy didn't get all the wear & tear on it. Also some namby pambies if they weren't getting a kick would get all sookey and take their ball home, so we'd have to find another ball.

If we didn't have a ball, we used a newspaper rolled up in a ball and tied with string...... now that really tested your run and bounce skills. Come to think of it, that might have been where Billy Barrot learned his tap the ball on the ground skill (as compared to bouncing the ball) and circling around his opponent which was such a feature of his game when playing for Richmond.

Isn't it a sad fact of life today that kids can't play footy or cricket on the roads anymore :( :( :(

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I'm Rod Owen ... Married to Stewart Loewe

Funny but weird :lol:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Brett Bowey 8-)

Nee!
St Lenny
Club Player

Mine is boring. My husbands is boring and so are my kids. So Im not playing any more, silly game................ :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Lou was the baby Barrot of the family, I'm sure he was younger than Wes. Think he was the ginger headed one. The Barrot's lived on the Corner of Mulgrave & Yooralla St, we lived on the Corner of Jordan St & Katta Court.

The eldest kid that lived on the corner house got to be the captain of their side. Someone's Dad worked that formula out for selecting captain, it stopped fights amongst the kids who would be captain.

Maybe, Watters could use that formula for picking who will lead the Saints next year :idea: Oldest player that lives in a corner house!!!!!

As Bill & I were the oldest and lived on corner houses, we got to be captains. It had nothing to do with our leadership ability at all.

The matches were hard fought, take no prisoners attitude :twisted: Played on the asphalt road, the number of players in your team could vary considerably, depending on how many kids were home at the time. So you could have a team of 30 kids in one team playing a team of only 10 or so in the opposition.

Usually the ages of the rovers, or forward pocket players were only about 4-5years old. Us older ones up to about 14 years old were usually the ruck division or star full forwards against the midgets :P :P

Some times the match would last for hours, some kids going home for whatever reason for a spell (meal, homework) then coming back into the game, at any stage. I suppose that was the forerunner to the interchange bench!!

A game usually went on until light was too bad to see in, or Mum's would call us in because some cars were starting to appear in the streets as workers (usually Dads) were driving home.

The old sherrins used to get scuffed up a fair bit. We needed to change balls alot so one kids footy didn't get all the wear & tear on it. Also some namby pambies if they weren't getting a kick would get all sookey and take their ball home, so we'd have to find another ball.

If we didn't have a ball, we used a newspaper rolled up in a ball and tied with string...... now that really tested your run and bounce skills. Come to think of it, that might have been where Billy Barrot learned his tap the ball on the ground skill (as compared to bouncing the ball) and circling around his opponent which was such a feature of his game when playing for Richmond.

Isn't it a sad fact of life today that kids can't play footy or cricket on the roads anymore :( :( :(
Wonderful post Loris, brings back great memories of playing neighbourhood footy in the late 50s and early 60s for me. Kids today have no idea what it's like to make your own fun. It's not their fault though.

Yes Lou is the youngest Barrot and he used whip me on the golf course.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Lenny
Club Player

Loris you would be pleased to know that in our street, well court, kids play all sorts of sports in the street. We are at the end of a cul de sac, so we watch them play. Our next door neighbour who didnt become a Dad till late in life is the king of the kids. A wonderful man (though he follows Hawthorn), is always playing and supervising the kids, its lovely to see.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So no one admitting to being Grant Thomas then? 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: I am Frank Coghlan - who are you?

kosifantutti23 wrote:I'm not really Frank Coghlan but if you go to this site:
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/alltime/stkilda.html

Wait for the column DOB to turn blue so that you can sort by Date of Birth. Then find the Saint who has the closest date of birth to yours. It sorts by year and you will have to work out month and day by yourself. Unfortunately it uses the American system for dates.

And who is your husband, wife, son, daughter.

So I'm Frank Coghlan, I'm married to Michael Ford, who are you?

PS. If you're younger than Arryn Siposs don't bother
Geoff Cayzer

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I'm Paul Temay, married to Mark Gamble.

Our first two kids are Leigh Montagna and Farren Ray with some more superstars coming in a few years.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.