Defensive spot up for grabs....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

TD wrote:
defacto wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
elphie wrote:blake will take the second tall defender..resting ruck, say
dowler will be rookied

to me the full-back role is between wilkes and dowler.

simpkin is another year to two- away with body strength
I hope Blake play his 200th and spends the rest of the year in the Magoos, being a great clubman and helping the young blokes. This is not a criticism of Jason, more a wish on my part that a young bloke steps up and takes his place.

I agree about Simpkin, I don't think he's big enough for full back.
i agree. would be great to see a kid come through. blake can help the kids in the VFL.

its time for simpkin winmar geary to all step up or GTFO
Why would they pick Blake up again to sit him at Sandy?? Its not going to happen, hes better than that.
Blake is the ultimate insurance player. If a ruck or kpp goes down he will be able to cover and is also a handy utility the rest of the time.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Well done 37 with the Wilks call...!

iremember66
Club Player

Oh come on!!

We are seriously in trouble if not one of these guys (see pic in orig post), has noticed that the front wheel of the bike is missing!!!.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

iremember66 wrote:Oh come on!!

We are seriously in trouble if not one of these guys (see pic in orig post), has noticed that the front wheel of the bike is missing!!!.
:D

But hey, it looks like Polo's onto it.

Better make him Captain :wink:

saint6709
Club Player

Still thinking about this one! Simpkin sounds like the man - was concerned about his height but have just noticed he is built pretty well the same as Scarlett (Simpkin 191&91 Scarlett 192&94 ) Simpkin has probably put on a kg or two since this stat _ maybe scarlett has as well but his more likely to be from relaxing in his old age! Lets hope Simpkin can do Colac proud this year

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Still thinking about this one! Simpkin sounds like the man - was concerned about his height but have just noticed he is built pretty well the same as Scarlett (Simpkin 191&91 Scarlett 192&94 ) Simpkin has probably put on a kg or two since this stat _ maybe scarlett has as well but his more likely to be from relaxing in his old age! Lets hope Simpkin can do Colac proud this year
Agree.

There is no rule that says you have to be this tall or weigh this much to be a successful full back.

The only rule is that you have to be good. :wink:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Still thinking about this one! Simpkin sounds like the man - was concerned about his height but have just noticed he is built pretty well the same as Scarlett (Simpkin 191&91 Scarlett 192&94 ) Simpkin has probably put on a kg or two since this stat _ maybe scarlett has as well but his more likely to be from relaxing in his old age! Lets hope Simpkin can do Colac proud this year
rather than scarlett, i'm hoping simpkin is similar to someone closer to home - maxy hudghton was 191/93 for most of his career. if simpkin can become half the spoiler max was then he'll be a decent full back.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Reach comes into this too.
Someone at 190cms and with a long reach (long arms and legs) could effectively be "as tall" as someone who's 195 cms tall with a short reach.

The important thing for a FB is core body strength (something Dawson lacked ) so that unlike Dawson you can stand your ground and out-position your opponent.
That would be a plus.
and a FB must keep their eye on the ball .. Dawson didn't always do that.
People criticised him for valid reasons.

Dawson received a lot of help from team mates - and he needed it ! .. he averaged 3 kicks in 2011.
On the plus side he was fairly quick and tall .. but so is Stanley !
Can Stanley average 3 kicks a match ? A tall order ?

I'm not sure if Simpkin is the man or if we have anyone that would immediately improve on Dawson.. but it doesn't alter the fact that Dawson was a very average FB and so the search should have always been on to improve on him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Dawson received a lot of help from team mates - and he needed it ! .. he averaged 3 kicks in 2011.
if we're measuring full backs by the number of kicks they get then we should have had dal santo down there in 2011. almost 27 kicks a game! what a great defensive effort!

wait, that doesn't make any sense.

who cares how many kicks your full back gets? isn't it more important that he stops his man and plays his part in the team defence?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

bergholt wrote:
samoht wrote:Dawson received a lot of help from team mates - and he needed it ! .. he averaged 3 kicks in 2011.
if we're measuring full backs by the number of kicks they get then we should have had dal santo down there in 2011. almost 27 kicks a game! what a great defensive effort!

wait, that doesn't make any sense.

who cares how many kicks your full back gets? isn't it more important that he stops his man and plays his part in the team defence?

Okay let's put his 3 kicks aside for the momnet ..
- doesn't getting outmuscled, outpositioned and taking his eyes off the ball count against him - does overlooking all these major flaws makes sense to you ?

Maybe if he got his 3 kicks a match and if he could handle his opponents himself without relying so much on teammates - maybe then you could overlook this detail.
Dawson may have often (too often to be overlooked anyway) been staring at blank space instead of the ball - but does that mean we should too ?

saint6709
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
Still thinking about this one! Simpkin sounds like the man - was concerned about his height but have just noticed he is built pretty well the same as Scarlett (Simpkin 191&91 Scarlett 192&94 ) Simpkin has probably put on a kg or two since this stat _ maybe scarlett has as well but his more likely to be from relaxing in his old age! Lets hope Simpkin can do Colac proud this year

rather than scarlett, I'm hoping simpkin is similar to someone closer to home - maxy hudghton was 191/93 for most of his career. if simpkin can become half the spoiler max was then he'll be a decent full back.

Unfortunately those stats don't measure Maxy's heart size - think common concensus describes it as 'massive'.....and much as I like Max and dislike Scarlett - I think Scarlett has set the benchmark for a kid from out west to aim for - with a little bit of help for Max on the sidelines - sounds like the best of both worlds - hope he can do it

gurubob101
Club Player

Unfortunately those stats don't measure Maxy's heart size - think common concensus describes it as 'massive'.....and much as I like Max and dislike Scarlett - I think Scarlett has set the benchmark for a kid from out west to aim for - with a little bit of help for Max on the sidelines - sounds like the best of both worlds - hope he can do it[/quote]

But Scarlett rarely plays full back these days. Harry Taylor plays one on one with the big boys. Scarlett plays loose a bit like the way we use Fisher. We need a full back who plays strong, tight, disciplined negating footy. Max made his opponent earn every touch and that's what we wanted from Dawson and expect from whoever is his successor.