Goddard's Best Position

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
BigMart wrote:Captaincy can have the opposite effect, because you are so team concerned, the pressure of batting can become less, you feel like your batting for the teams sake, and not your own sake as cricketers often do.....

You are never more selfless as a sportsman as when you are captain....because you must be...

Punter was the ICC cricketer of the year in 2003,2006, 2007 and in all of those years he was captain
Those years the team was quite successfull. The screws have turned since the departure of great players such as Hayden, Gilly, Langer, Warne and McGrath. Why did Punter's form drop? I'd say for a few reasons one being the burden of captaining a declining team.

St Kilda FC are in a similar position the where the Aussie cricket team is. Roo may captain this year but my money would be on that it's his last. Times are a changing.
Firstly surely it is a joke comparing captaining Australia to captaining a footy side and secondly there is no proof what so ever that Ponting's form improved after he lost the captaincy unless a year later counts.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Surely it's a joke? You cant help but try and belittle. Seriously plugger I cannot be arsed getting involved in a debate with you on this.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe there is a tad more evidence to suggest age had a bit to do with his drop in form at 36/37yo after 15 years at the top...the last 8 years he was a run machine....he was never going to keep that standard up...

But as I said, given enough opportunities he will perform again...form is temporary, class is permanent....

Boon, m.Waugh, s.Waugh, border, Taylor, marsh, Richards, Hayden, haynes, gilchrist.....and may more....check their averages over their last two seasons.....These are guys with long careers.....like punter

Captaincy did suffer from poor performances.....he went defensive and did not trust inconsisten and unreliable players and it showed....it has a two way effect...

Are you referring to me about footy p66 ...... Never captained a senior footy team In my life..... Only in under 16 from memory.... As you know so much about my sporting background mate, you obviously know I was a cricketer who played a bit of footy in winter but severe injuries meant I only played a few years of good senior footy.....but my first season of senior cricket was 1986 and I retired in 2010....almost a cripple....

If you weren't referring to me, sorry....didn't really read much of the thread..

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe there is a tad more evidence to suggest age had a bit to do with his drop in form at 36/37yo after 15 years at the top...the last 8 years he was a run machine....he was never going to keep that standard up...

But as I said, given enough opportunities he will perform again...form is temporary, class is permanent....

Boon, m.Waugh, s.Waugh, border, Taylor, marsh, Richards, Hayden, haynes, gilchrist.....and may more....check their averages over their last two seasons.....These are guys with long careers.....like punter

Captaincy did suffer from poor performances.....he went defensive and did not trust inconsisten and unreliable players and it showed....it has a two way effect...

Are you referring to me about footy p66 ...... Never captained a senior footy team In my life..... Only in under 16 from memory.... As you know so much about my sporting background mate, you obviously know I was a cricketer who played a bit of footy in winter but severe injuries meant I only played a few years of good senior footy.....but my first season of senior cricket was 1986 and I retired in 2010....almost a cripple....

If you weren't referring to me, sorry....didn't really read much of the thread..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Maybe there is a tad more evidence to suggest age had a bit to do with his drop in form at 36/37yo after 15 years at the top...the last 8 years he was a run machine....he was never going to keep that standard up...

Sorry but it wasnt you at all. It seems we agree that Rooy should be captain. All I was saying that it is crap that Ponting not being captain has all of a sudden helped his form a year after being replaced. As you said class is permanent and Rooy will have a good year this year if uneffected by injury whether he is captain or not. Pretty sure he has won a few B&F when he was captain.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i think it's a bit early to be declaring that Ponting is back!!!

1 century... and 2 good innings against a team that's being hammered n clearly is not as good as initially thought

1 century in 2 years

PJ
SS Life Member

So should Ponting play in the middle or should we put Goddard up the batting order?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

My Ideal team.

Goddard Goddard Goddard
Goddard Goddard Fisher
Dal santo Hayes Montagna
Goddard Goddard Roo
Goddard Goddard Milne

R: Mcevoy, Jones Goddard

I Think summerises our view on the value of Goddard.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:My Ideal team.

Goddard Goddard Goddard
Goddard Goddard Fisher
Dal santo Hayes Montagna
Goddard Goddard Roo
Goddard Goddard Milne

I like it but I would have Fish at CHB. That team can afford to carry CJ.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

Goddard Goddard Goddard
Goddard Goddard Fisher
Dal santo Hayes Montagna
Goddard Goddard Roo
Goddard Goddard Milne

Glad i'm not the only one tha saw it...

Choosing Jones over Goddard... madness :wink:

Shaggy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:All I was saying that it is crap that Ponting not being captain has all of a sudden helped his form a year after being replaced.

"Rianna said Ponting was batting more freely since relinquishing the captaincy last year.

"He's so much more relaxed, he's a better dad, he's a better husband, it's been good. I've said to him as long as you keep loving it as much as you do, let's just keep going and a big score's around the corner, and he proved that today," she said."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 366250.cms

It may be crap to you but clearly not to Ricky's wife.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:All I was saying that it is crap that Ponting not being captain has all of a sudden helped his form a year after being replaced.

"Rianna said Ponting was batting more freely since relinquishing the captaincy last year.

"He's so much more relaxed, he's a better dad, he's a better husband, it's been good. I've said to him as long as you keep loving it as much as you do, let's just keep going and a big score's around the corner, and he proved that today," she said."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 366250.cms

It may be crap to you but clearly not to Ricky's wife.
So it took a year did it? I reckon most of what she mentioned is personal, nothing to do with cricket. Lets face it losing the captaincy had nothing to do with improving form in the last few weeks unless people live in some fantasy world.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So pontingwasn't batting freely when he was captain......we do realize pointing was captain for 8 years in 4 of those years he was the worlds leading run scorer for the calendar year.....I'm sure it sat pretty comfortably with him, is statistically the most successful captain ever and Australia's second best ever bat..

Why do people have short memories....that cannot extend beyond 2 years... many were complaining in 2009 when led the most disciplined well oiled machine for many a year and won the b&f and was all Australian captain???
Has his leadership deteriorated???

As far as punter goes
His captaincy suffered more as a result of his loss of form not visa versa....harder to captain a side with not many on the board....take his 70 plus average from 03-09 out and all of a sudden the team

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Goddard Goddard Goddard
Goddard Goddard Fisher
Dal santo Hayes Montagna
Goddard Goddard Roo
Goddard Goddard Milne

Glad i'm not the only one tha saw it...

Choosing Jones over Goddard... madness :wink:
Let me just say, I think Goddard is a terrible player at shutting down opposition players, and CJ is there to definately overcome this glaring deficiency in goddards play.

As for Fish, I believe his run and dash from the HFF would be more suited to his pace. He's devilishly good mark, but when asked to shut down a player we lose that ability to propel us forward.

Similarly, Roo released to run on a wing/HFF would be more damaging for the opposition if his body wasn't taking such a battering at CHF.

All in all, looking for gwilt off the bench to give fish a bit of a break.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Similarly, Roo released to run on a wing/HFF would be more damaging for the opposition if his body wasn't taking such a battering at CHF.
Good call Dan. IMO he'd probably kick more goals also.

SMS
Club Player

There are literally only 3 positions in modern day football

back - middle - forward

for me goddard must play middle.

his delivery is just too good.

Play Reiwoldt, Schnieder and Milne DEEP and Ill be happy.

Kosi and McEvoy share ruck duties. While one rests forward

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:statistically the most successful captain ever and Australia's second best ever bat
Neither statement is entirely accurate.

Yes Ponting has won more Tests as Australian captain than anyone else, but his win-loss ratio is poor in comparison to others ... Steve Waugh's, for example.

Yes, Ponting has scored more runs for Australia than anyone else, but his average has dropped significantly - to 52.70 - in the past few years. He sits behind Sir Donald Bradman (99.94) and Greg Chappell (53.81) on averages for Australian batsmen who have scored more than 2000 Test runs.

If only they'd stripped him of the burden of captaincy earlier, he might have stitched up his spot behind the Don at No. 2. But that honour belongs to Chappell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BigMart wrote:statistically the most successful captain ever and Australia's second best ever bat
Neither statement is entirely accurate.

Yes Ponting has won more Tests as Australian captain than anyone else, but his win-loss ratio is poor in comparison to others ... Steve Waugh's, for example.

Yes, Ponting has scored more runs for Australia than anyone else, but his average has dropped significantly - to 52.70 - in the past few years. He sits behind Sir Donald Bradman (99.94) and Greg Chappell (53.81) on averages for Australian batsmen who have scored more than 2000 Test runs.

If only they'd stripped him of the burden of captaincy earlier, he might have stitched up his spot behind the Don at No. 2. But that honour belongs to Chappell.
Your either taking the piss or honestly dont understand sport. I will go with taking the piss. Why did it take a year for him to find form after losing the captaincy? Maybe he is just working harder on his game at the moment and it is paying dividends.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Maybe he is just working harder on his game at the moment and it is paying dividends.
I applaud his decision to stand down from the captaincy and concentrate on what is now his primary role in the team ... making runs.

He was smart enough to see the writing on the wall (his form was very poor and the team wasn't winning) and got in before the selectors did.

Had he been sacked as captain, rather than stepped aside, it would have been his last Test. But relieving himself of the pressure of captaincy has allowed him to concentrate on learning to bat again.

Just a shame for all concerned that it didn't happen earlier.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the area that needs big improvement is the half forward line, and you put your talent where it is needed most. It might sound a waste, but I would put Goddard on a HFF

Shaggy
Club Player

Big Mart / P66

Punter’s wife knows him and his mental state better than the two of you.

Your failure to recognize it shows a severe lack of judgment and reality to quite a basic level IMO.

It’s fine to have opinions but when people who know talk you should learn to listen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Big Mart / P66

Punter’s wife knows him and his mental state better than the two of you.

Your failure to recognize it shows a severe lack of judgment and reality to quite a basic level IMO.

It’s fine to have opinions but when people who know talk you should learn to listen.
Pretty sure she was talking about mainly his personal life. As I have asked others if it took so much pressure off him taking the captaincy away from him why did it take so long for his batting to improve. Maybe he is just working harder. lets face it there is no correlation between his form improving and losing the captaincy. This is started because people magically think Rooy will improve without the captaincy and IMO it is just crap.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it interesting, 4 pages of what's Goddard's best position, and we can establish that no major opinion is dominant

consensus seems to be that he should be a midfielder/running backman but forward has it's share of supporters too

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Isn't it interesting, 4 pages of what's Goddard's best position, and we can establish that no major opinion is dominant
Not sure about that skeptic.

There seems to be a growing consensus that he should bat at #4, provided of course that he is not captain 8-)

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: Goddard's Best Position

[/quote]...Watters reportedly wants everyone to have at least two positions...[/quote]

I believe KD chose missionary and doggie...

:lol: :lol: :lol: