Riewoldt vs Loewe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who would you rather have at CHF?

Roo
65%
Buckets
35%

Total votes: 186

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Some of you are joking aren't you? Riewoldt is streets ahead of Loewe by any measure.

Loewe was a club legend, who I absolutely adored. But Riewoldt is an AFL legend who could well make the "team of the 21st century" if there is ever going to be such a thing.

And he is the guy who has made a greater contribution than anyone else in the history of our club towards transforming us from perennial also rans into one of the top sides: a side that, for the first time in our history, opposing fans have felt like hating rather than patronising. IMO, Riewoldt has played a bigger role in this transformation than Harves, Lenny, Thomas, Butterss, Lyon or any other coach, player or official.

For the best part of a decade, opposing coaches have built their match day plans against us around the crucial question of how they are going to stop Riewoldt. He is one of the great danger men of the modern game: a constant threat who draws 2-3 defenders towards him whenever we take the ball forward.

I actually think Riewoldt is one of the most underrated players at our club. Many supporters are surprisingly lukewarm towards him: seemingly because of his frequent inaccuracy in front of goal (although he is far from being Robinson Crusoe in that regard at our club). But he is the central cog of our forward line and he gives his all in every game.

I actually think, if you asked him, Stewie would say he was a bit embarassed by this poll.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe you're right MB

I was a 13 in 97 and just really getting into the Saints... I'm guaging from this thread that perhaps I remember Loewe as being more spectacular than he was.

Has always been my favorite... would have been a true legend if he lined a few up and took them out during the last saturday in September and really imposed himself on the game

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rooey better. Buckets was really good though. I think they are comparable. I have Roo ahead. But not by streets.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 12 Jan 2012 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Loewe better suited to the style of footy 2011 produced
Travis Cloke is the strongest pack (modern day word:clunk) in the comp, and the most similar to Loewe since he retired IMO... Going into the 2012 season, I have him as the best forward in the comp, equal but very different with Buddy...

Cloke and Loewe are very similar players, although the game is very different these days, if a player has a standout talent as these 2 do in being able to take contested mark after contested mark, they will always be vital...

In saying that, over their respective careers, with a few more good years left in Roo, he is the superior player, but its a fair comparison...

FWIW, I have great faith that Roo will hit back hard this year and regain that title as the best key forward in the comp..

gurubob101
Club Player

Stewie 'Buckets' Loewe 321 games, 594 goals, averaged about 8 marks and 15 touches a game as a 194cm/108kg CHF over 16 years . EJ Whitten medallist, dual AA, B&F winner, team captain, member of our team of the century. Widely regarded as the strongest marking forward of the past 20 years. Not a champion? Not worthy of comparison with Riewoldt? Give me a break.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Roo has a chronic knee problem - Loewe was virtually injury free - so on that basis Roo (injury free) would be the better player.

However-(if we were to limit this discusson to CHF) ..
I think Loewe at his best would probably be a better CHF in today's game (right now) vs the 2 or 3 opponents that Roo is regularly contending with - as he'd still take his pack marks at true CHF i.e. he won't be forced to run out wide and to the flanks, as Roo has to currently.

Roo is no longer playing as a true CHF - whereas Loewe (at his best) would still be, in today's game.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The question is, who is the best CHF. Loewe VS Roo.

Answer: Loewe is the better true CHF than Roo.

Also remember that Loewe was in a team that had the best FF in history of the game.

Roo maybe a better player on and off the field, but to play CHF now and in there primes Loewe was better. Also Loewe did not have the current rules of chopping arms and push in the back.

Roo also gets smashed or smashes himself every time in a contested marks situation and is no where near as good as Loewe at this skill. Kosi is a better contested mark than Roo.

Loewe also did not have everyone kick it to him at all costs as what Roo has.

Loewe's biggest flaw was he was slow to make decisions, you could almost see the cogs moving inside his head.

Goal scoring is about on par and both always would missed the crucial goals.

This year will tell all about were Roo is at, and if he can get back to some form. He might also need to re-invent himself because the flooding tactic has ended his forward line role. Maybe wing like Richo or centre like Pav.

shmic_s
Club Player

Difficult to answer.
My opinion, have to say Lowe a better CHF. Although Roo a better player. :?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:Stewie 'Buckets' Loewe 321 games, 594 goals, averaged about 8 marks and 15 touches a game as a 194cm/108kg CHF over 16 years . EJ Whitten medallist, dual AA, B&F winner, team captain, member of our team of the century. Widely regarded as the strongest marking forward of the past 20 years. Not a champion? Not worthy of comparison with Riewoldt? Give me a break.
Ask any neutral supporter what they think.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Loewe was a great player of the club.

Riewoldt is one of the great players of all-time.

Bit of a gap there. I loved Buckets but Riewoldt's a freak.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:The question is, who is the best CHF. Loewe VS Roo.

Also remember that Loewe was in a team that had the best FF in history of the game.

Roo maybe a better player on and off the field, but to play CHF now and in there primes Loewe was better. Also Loewe did not have the current rules of chopping arms and push in the back.

Roo also gets smashed or smashes himself every time in a contested marks situation and is no where near as good as Loewe at this skill. Kosi is a better contested mark than Roo.

Loewe's biggest flaw was he was slow to make decisions, you could almost see the cogs moving inside his head.

This year will tell all about were Roo is at, and if he can get back to some form. He might also need to re-invent himself because the flooding tactic has ended his forward line role. Maybe wing like Richo or centre like Pav.
IMO its far more difficult to be a forward in this era compared to Loewes. Roo gets double and tripple teamed in most contests.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

how about I spin the question a little bit

whose best was better?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:The question is, who is the best CHF. Loewe VS Roo.

IMO its far more difficult to be a forward in this era compared to Loewes. Roo gets double and tripple teamed in most contests.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
gurubob101 wrote:Stewie 'Buckets' Loewe 321 games, 594 goals, averaged about 8 marks and 15 touches a game as a 194cm/108kg CHF over 16 years . EJ Whitten medallist, dual AA, B&F winner, team captain, member of our team of the century. Widely regarded as the strongest marking forward of the past 20 years. Not a champion? Not worthy of comparison with Riewoldt? Give me a break.
Ask any neutral supporter what they think.
I think you can't win that one.
Most neutrals i know laugh at Riewoldt as an over-rated sook.(not my opinion)

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I know it's an opinion thread,and a good topic.

However I find talk of Rewoildt being one of the all time AFL greats comical. Right now he is not even in the best 20 players in the league. Certainly he was there,and can get back there, but last year he was very average. Loewe didn't have a season like that until he was about 32.

For what it's worth,Loewe would still be as good in this new choking forwards space era that Roo is having problems with. The long kick down the line that Rewoildt marks 1 in 12,Loewe would mark half,at least

Bring back the Lockett era
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Riewoldt vs Loewe

hungry for a premiership wrote:Last night I was thinking, "who is/was a better CHF for us: Riewoldt or Loewe?" If you had to have one in your team, which would you take?

At first I thought, "Riewoldt, for sure," but then I got thinking, and realized that for me, it's actually a line ball, and here's why:

BOTH have been captains of the club, and even though Riewoldt has been captain for longer and Loewe was a co-captain instead of a stand-alone captain, I think in this category (Leadership) you've got to say it's a draw, as both were/are good enough to be captain.

BOTH are/were poor/average kicks for goal at best. Clearly this is the biggest weakness of both of them, and they both share this weakness - not very good kicks for goal. So in the Kicking category, again, it's a draw for mine.

So, so far, we're still even, and now we come to the differences between them.

-Marking ability: Whilst Riewoldt is a very strong mark and racks up good numbers in this area, I think it's fair to say that Loewe was definitely a stronger mark than Roo. They didn't call him "Buckets" for nothing. While statistically they may have similar numbers, I think you'll find that the majority of Roo's marks are taken after a long lead and are uncontested, whereas Loewe's marks were mostly contested/taken in pack situations. So in the "Marking" catogory, Loewe gets the nod for mine.

-Athleticism: This is were Riewoldt takes the chockies. He's a better athlete than Loewe was. Can run faster and further, can jump higher. So Riewoldt gets the nod here.

And that leaves us all square!

What do you think?
Roo for me............

Fortius Quo Fidelius
sainterinsydney
Club Player

If Roo hits his straps this year and can be in full flight for a big game, I definitely would put Rooey ahead. Buckets was a tougher player.

Shaggy
Club Player

Roo is in our top 5 of all time.

Buckets top 30.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

This year will tell us much about Riewoldt.
Hopefully a marked improvement on last year-I know there were excuses BUT he was truly woeful.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Shaggy
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:This year will tell us much about Riewoldt.
Hopefully a marked improvement on last year-I know there were excuses BUT he was truly woeful.
He was still top ten. He was injured. He may never be again what he was. We all knew that when he did his knee.

But before that he had 5 B&Fs and taken us to three grand finals and so many finals.

Gun. He doesn't have to do anything more to be in our very top ever at the Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
He was still top ten. He was injured. He may never be again what he was. We all knew that when he did his knee.

But before that he had 5 B&Fs and taken us to three grand finals and so many finals.

Gun. He doesn't have to do anything more to be in our very top ever at the Saints.
When did he do his knee?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

And how did he take us to three grand finals? Granted I'll give you 2009 where him and Raph Clarke carried us across the line in the prelim. Then he wasn't sited the week after
In 2010 we got in easily,then he had a just ok GF1...one would say if he played well in GF1 there would of been no GF2....then GF2,he was disgraceful again.
Has played some good-excellent finals games,but been missing in just as many,if not more

Again where him and Loewe are very comparable. Stewie was either best on ground,or not cited in his finals appearances. Comes with the position I guess

Bring back the Lockett era
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rooey would get the gong for mine. He is the strongest competitor at our club with possibly the exception of Lenny.

He wills the best from himself and stands tall when needed. Loewe was a great guy and one of the nicest guys you would meet but lacked the killer competitiveness.

He seemed happy to get good performances from himself but didn't look like he would die for it...except when he kneed his own forehead.

Rooey is so good that you kind of expect more than anyone else. It is a compliment that when he doesn't kick five goals and 15 marks he has had a bad day.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

answering the question as specifically asked , i would have Loewe at CHF because i think roo gets out bodied in many marking contests , however in all other aspects , lets face it he s***s all over stewie

In red white and black from 73
kalsaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Both with deficiencies by foot- Loewe a better and more reliable mark who improved his game later in his career, Roo more mobile and excellent defensively, unfortunately both couldn't produce the goods in the biggest game of all. I give it to Loewe slightly, though Baldock, even as a smaller player at CHF would have run rings around both in all key areas with the exception of power marking, and didn't go missing in finals.
I reckon Riewoldt for CHF just but wouldnt it be beaut to have Loewe at Full Forward. Remember the number of times he scored good bags when Plugger was injured or when he left the side?

Loewe definitely fixed his set shot problem but Roo was probably in front of golas when on the run.

I believe Loewe was the stronger mark and marked in a contest on many occasions during the game.

Loewe would struggle with today's work rate and run compared to Riewoldt but would be salivating to have a Loewe qulaity FF with Roo at CHF.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency