When will Watters decide the Captaincy issue?

Although most would assume that Roo is guaranteed the Captaincy for the year ahead, when will the decision be made public?
Watters was quoted as saying that he would look at it when they got back after Christmas.

Any ideas?
Anyone want to stab a guess at the outcome?

As everyone knows, I think it's time...

However with Roo not wanting to give it up, and saying so publicly, can't see how it can happen without it being awkward.

Why is it an issue

why is it time...

hungry for a premiership

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Roo will be re-announced as captain in the next couple of weeks.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."

Re: When will Watters decide the Captaincy issue?

Most clubs hitting the media with their leaderships setups, you think it wouldn't be far away now.

I just wish Watters would coach us to a win.

Been months now for zilch wins.

Not good enough!

saintspremiers wrote:I just wish Watters would coach us to a win.

Been months now for zilch wins.

Not good enough!
I think it was Mark P who coined...

"Watters he done Laidley?"

Our core are all leaders really.

We do not have to wet or spunk ourselves over appointing a third-year high draft pick or a soft always injured half-back flanker just yet.

two weeks

SainterK wrote:Most clubs hitting the media with their leaderships setups, you think it wouldn't be far away now.

if you read/listen to Scott from his interview last nght a lot of that srt of information is being worked on at this weekends camp.

Buckets wrote:Although most would assume that Roo is guaranteed the Captaincy for the year ahead, when will the decision be made public?
Watters was quoted as saying that he would look at it when they got back after Christmas.

Any ideas?
fair points but i don't care who tosses the coin....my concern is what happens after the toss...

We should take a leaf out of the Melbourne's and appoint a younger player and let Roo play footy...

bobmurray wrote:
Buckets wrote:Although most would assume that Roo is guaranteed the Captaincy for the year ahead, when will the decision be made public?

Any ideas?
fair points but i don't care who tosses the coin....my concern is what happens after the toss...

We should take a leaf out of the Melbourne's and appoint a younger player and let Roo play footy...
But why a younger player?

At the moment the Dees are a basketcase that believe their prayers have been answered in the form of an under-achieving, petulant ruck-forward who is a poor man's Kosi. Did I just go there?? Yes I did.

Grimes has not played a full season yet and is touted for his leadership qualities. Huh? Get out on the field son.

We have a good group of mature leaders as is evidenced.

The Redeemer wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Any ideas?

But why a younger player?

At the moment the Dees are a basketcase that believe their prayers have been answered in the form of an under-achieving, petulant ruck-forward who is a poor man's Kosi. Did I just go there?? Yes I did.

Grimes has not played a full season yet and is touted for his leadership qualities. Huh? Get out on the field son.

We have a good group of mature leaders as is evidenced.
I said the Melbourne's because i was referring to both Melbourne and North Melbourne...

I reckon our new captain will be announce next Friday at intra club game. Personally I hope they give it to someone like Lenny! Roo needs to concentrate on getting his own game back to a decent level! His kicking at goal (as captain) can only be deflating for the team. I think Roo has just had too much pressure and it beat him mentally in 2011...

bobmurray wrote:

Any ideas?

you infer that by being captain....you dont play footy..

chook23 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Any ideas?

you infer that by being captain....you dont play footy..
I inferred that last season Roo was captain and he definitely didn't play footy....

The Watter's description of a Captain....that'll do me....

When asked to define his ideal captain, Watters said: ''It's more than on-field. It's servitude, it's having an effect on the players around you while making an impact yourself.
It's looking out more than looking in and knowing when to speak up and knowing when to be quiet. It's making good leaders out of your seventh-,
eighth- and ninth-best player and, in a sense, making yourself redundant.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z1lM7B25Nu

he forgot to mention the coin toss but i've already covered that :lol:

'

WinnersOnly wrote:I reckon our new captain will be announce next Friday at intra club game. Personally I hope they give it to someone like Lenny! Roo needs to concentrate on getting his own game back to a decent level! His kicking at goal (as captain) can only be deflating for the team. I think Roo has just had too much pressure and it beat him mentally in 2011...
I'm actually leaning to them maybe annoucning at the AGM On Wednesday. as it forms part of the Board meeting and would need to be ratified by them-

Sick Nal Danto

bobmurray wrote:The Watter's description of a Captain....that'll do me....

When asked to define his ideal captain, Watters said: ''It's more than on-field. It's servitude, it's having an effect on the players around you while making an impact yourself.
It's looking out more than looking in and knowing when to speak up and knowing when to be quiet. It's making good leaders out of your seventh-,
eighth- and ninth-best player and, in a sense, making yourself redundant.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z1lM7B25Nu

he forgot to mention the coin toss but i've already covered that :lol:

'
That says Riewoldt and Hayes all over it

to me it says reiwoldt wont be captain. hayes is a lock in.

While we are on the captaincy issue, who is our next long term captain.
Personally, if we are to replace Roo, it has to be someone who has capacity to do it for the next 3-5 years, not shrt term.
As good as Lenny is, I can't see him being captain because it would be only short term.
BJ maybe, especially as it would be a carrot to keep him from GWS, which, incidently I feel the only way Goddard may go there is if we win the premiership, because that's what he wants badly and he has no chance at GWS of achieving that.

3rd generation saint wrote:While we are on the captaincy issue, who is our next long term captain.
Personally, if we are to replace Roo, it has to be someone who has capacity to do it for the next 3-5 years, not shrt term.
As good as Lenny is, I can't see him being captain because it would be only short term.
BJ maybe, especially as it would be a carrot to keep him from GWS, which, incidently I feel the only way Goddard may go there is if we win the premiership, because that's what he wants badly and he has no chance at GWS of achieving that.
whos to say they wouldnt give it to hayes or roo for a year to transition to a younger player?

defacto wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:While we are on the captaincy issue, who is our next long term captain.
whos to say they wouldnt give it to hayes or roo for a year to transition to a younger player?

It doesnt make any sense at all to take it off Rooy and give it to lenny. I would pretty sure it will be Rooy but if it isnt then BJ is the only other choice.

defacto wrote:

It doesnt make any sense at all to take it off Rooy and give it to lenny. I would pretty sure it will be Rooy but if it isnt then BJ is the only other choice.
Or we could do a Melbourne and give it to Jack Steven

I don't understand this trend of stipping players of the captaincy once they approach the end of their careers. An older player is ideal for the captaincy. These next generation captains go hand-in-hand with the perpetual 5-year rebuilding plans of perpetual losers. It's about selling memberships. There's no reason North couldn't have waited until Harvey retired to give Swallow the captaincy. It's not like Harvey has to teach Swallow how to be a captain. Even if he did, retired players have telephones.

Roo is the natural leader of this club. He commands the respect of his teammates. As long as he's here, I see no reason for any reason for anyone else to be captain. I love BJ, but he's a maniac. I don't think Lenny is as suited to leadership as Roo, as courageous as he is on the field. We don't have a next generation captain like Swallow or a Selwood. I don't see any reason to force the issue. Keep Roo as captain until there's a reason to change.